Latest Pitbull Attack As Reported On Castanet!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Latest Pitbull Attack As Reported On Castanet!

Post by JLives »

Fancy wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:15 pm Been looking up Dogo Argentinos and wondering if those owners/breeders are coming under fire.
Of course they are. People think they're white pitbulls.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:24 pm
JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:19 pm

No. It's prejudice without experience. I've broken up fights with dogs. I currently have 4 dogs who total 650 pounds and 2 are fosters. None have a hint of "pitbull" in them. That was way more of a challenge integrating them than anything I dealt with with APBTs. Currently they're all laying the floor content together.
You're claiming I have no experience with what, exactly? I've experience owning a dog that killed another family's pet. I've loved several dogs that were considered pit or part pit.

I simply don't see the logic in continuing breeds and bloodlines that are higher risk - and whether we like it or not, antipathy toward other dogs IS a higher risk.
Specifically with APBTs and other bully breeds. To be clear.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:22 pm
rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:20 pm

I've no intention of debating you on the history of the breed, JLives. There's simply no way, human nature being what it is, all the people who breed dogs FOR FIGHTING have always culled dogs that showed aggression.

Yes, all dogs can bite.

And breaking up a fight between a muscular dog that is expressing its antipathy toward other dogs is difficult enough that most of us wouldn't ever want to risk owning a muscular dog that has been bred for fighting.

Those who are willing to take that risk seem unable to explain to the rest of us why.
To people. Dog aggression and human aggression are two separate distinct behaviors in dogs.
Well, even if we put our faith in that and believe there won't be any cross-over (which I'd never risk), a dog that's aggressive to other dogs presents a risk to the people who don't want the aggressive dog tearing up their pet.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:25 pm
rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:24 pm
You're claiming I have no experience with what, exactly? I've experience owning a dog that killed another family's pet. I've loved several dogs that were considered pit or part pit.

I simply don't see the logic in continuing breeds and bloodlines that are higher risk - and whether we like it or not, antipathy toward other dogs IS a higher risk.
The suggestion a person has to have experience with "APBTs and other bully breeds" to understand the higher risks associated with dogs that have been bred for fighting has no merit.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:28 pm
JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:25 pm

The suggestion a person has to have experience with "APBTs and other bully breeds" to understand the higher risks associated with dogs that have been bred for fighting has no merit.
The plastic surgeons agree.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:26 pm
JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:22 pm

To people. Dog aggression and human aggression are two separate distinct behaviors in dogs.
Well, even if we put our faith in that and believe there won't be any cross-over (which I'd never risk), a dog that's aggressive to other dogs presents a risk to the people who don't want the aggressive dog tearing up their pet.
Yes owning dogs can be hard sometimes. Of course, there's risk. We're living with animals. And 100% of them were bred from wolves. That's why education is important. I have never in my life been bit or had blood drawn by a dog aside from a leash tripping or two.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:30 pm
rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:26 pm
Yes owning dogs can be hard sometimes. Of course, there's risk. We're living with animals. And 100% of them were bred from wolves. That's why education is important. I have never in my life been bit or had blood drawn by a dog aside from a leash tripping or two.
I'm happy for you, and for your children, and for your neighbours - the risks you've chosen to take have all turned out okay.

IMO, there's no upside to anyone owning a dog that has a higher likelihood to show antipathy toward other dogs, nor is there any upside in anyone owning a dog whose breeding includes "for fighting".
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

1669 wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:30 pm
rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:28 pm

The plastic surgeons agree.
Pitbulls get plastic surgery too.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:36 pm
JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:30 pm

I'm happy for you, and for your children, and for your neighbours - the risks you've chosen to take have all turned out okay.

IMO, there's no upside to anyone owning a dog that has a higher likelihood to show antipathy toward other dogs, nor is there any upside in anyone owning a dog whose breeding includes "for fighting".
Well you need to meet more. My neighbour had a Rottweiler. They'd kiss over the fence. No upside for you doesn't mean no upside for anyone else. I think APBTs are a great breed and as Fancy pointed out earlier they really are the cutest puppies. I raised a litter of 11 and crate trained every one of them.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:36 pm I'm happy for you, and for your children, and for your neighbours - the risks you've chosen to take have all turned out okay. ..
Obviously there wasn't a risk any more than other dogs of certain breeds. A sweet dog is a sweet dog.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:39 pm
rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:36 pm

Well you need to meet more. My neighbour had a Rottweiler. They'd kiss over the fence. No upside for you doesn't mean no upside for anyone else. I think APBTs are a great breed and as Fancy pointed out earlier they really are the cutest puppies. I raised a litter of 11 and crate trained every one of them.
I'm only marginally curious whether or not any dog that went on to seriously injure or killed a person or pet was crate trained, and I've no doubt they were all cute puppies.

What are the positive attributes of this breed that cannot be found in other breeds that make it worth taking the risk of owning a dog that was bred for fighting? What's the upside in owning a dog bred for fighting?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:46 pm ... What's the upside in owning a dog bred for fighting?
I believe Michael Vick's dogs have all been dealt with.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:46 pm
JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:39 pm

I'm only marginally curious whether or not any dog that went on to seriously injure or killed a person or pet was crate trained, and I've no doubt they were all cute puppies.

What are the positive attributes of this breed that cannot be found in other breeds that make it worth taking the risk of owning a dog that was bred for fighting? What's the upside in owning a dog bred for fighting?
They weren't bred for fighting. They were bred for temperament. The temperament to please their own owners and never to give up. Mine used it to be clowns most of the time and brought our family a lot of joy.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Here's a Staffie doing what so many should - having a purpose and having fun.

https://youtu.be/6RexAsTYwGA
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: May 9th, 2023, 10:00 pm
rustled wrote: May 9th, 2023, 9:46 pm

They weren't bred for fighting. They were bred for temperament. The temperament to please their own owners and never to give up. Mine used it to be clowns most of the time and brought our family a lot of joy.
Hm. Well, not everyone who loves these dogs believes they were not bred for fighting:
The “pit” in Pit Bull comes from ratting as the rats were placed into a pit so that they could not escape. Ultimately, the public turned their eyes upon dog fighting as it was more easily hidden from view and thus the law. Ratting and dogfighting both required more agility and speed on the part of the dog, so Bulldogs were crossed with Terriers “Bull and Terriers”, more commonly known as the first Pit Bull Terrier.

Despite their tenacity and determination in battle, commoners actually bred pit bull terriers with some of the same qualities and traits that we still love about them to this day. Through selective breeding and culling, bite inhibition towards humans was greatly encouraged. Gamblers had to be sure that they could enter a pit and handle their dogs in close proximity without the danger of being bit themselves. If a dog bit a human, it was usually culled.

SNIP

As dogfighting began to re-emerge in the 1980s, animal advocates put an increased focus on the cruel, barbaric and illegal blood sport. The inadvertent and unfortunate side effect of this new movement was that some people began to seek out Pit Bulls for illicit purposes. The criminal set began trying to squeeze these dogs into a mold they were never designed to fit. The breed who was once bred to treat every stranger like a long-lost friend was now being used as guard and protection dogs and were being fought in underground fighting rings. The demand for pit bulls led to many owners breeding their own dogs without concern for temperament or socialization and for the purpose of making a profit, rather than providing a responsible home. Soon Pit Bulls were associated with poverty, “urban thugs” and crime. They were viewed as money-making commodities instead of family members and companions.
https://love-a-bull.org/resources/the-h ... pit-bulls/

Return to “Social Concerns”