Why is it hard for low income families?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Why is it hard for low income families?

Post by grammafreddy »

JOF585 wrote:
Prestige Mike wrote:Back on topic: I'm very impressed that GF can feed herself for a $1.65 a day. :)

55 cents a meal.

Y'know, that's just scary. Depressing, too. I think I'll have a donut to cheer me up. I paid for two and when I got home there were 6 in the bag. I love magic bags like that! I gave two of them to someone else who couldn't afford to buy even one donut.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

grammafreddy wrote:
noneofyourbiz3 wrote:1978 when we moved to Canada 4 loaves of bread were a buck. Now it 4 bucks a loaf. Farm equipment hasnt improved that much. Our monies worthless so we need more of it to buy things. No pimple on the riches arses.

I've seen those $4 loaves in the stores. You're right, they do exist. I've never bought one. They sell them at that price because they can. People buy them. If nobody bought them, they'd do something different - maybe even lower the price!

Have you seen the $1.35 loaves in the stores, too? They are bigger and have more slices than the $4 loaves. They even come in 100% whole wheat.

The bread you can see through? Yeah, saw those loaves as well. Thankfully I dont eat much of it.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:1978 when we moved to Canada 4 loaves of bread were a buck. Now it 4 bucks a loaf. Farm equipment hasnt improved that much. Our monies worthless so we need more of it to buy things. No pimple on the riches arses.
It would be nice if bread was that cheap again.....and farm equipment is insanely advanced now as opposed to the 70's and the 80's and the 90's.
Sure do love Rutland!!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:The bread you can see through? Yeah, saw those loaves as well. Thankfully I dont eat much of it.

I don't eat much bread either. How do you mean "see through"? Does it have big holes? Or do you mean thin slices?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Save-On had fresh in house french bread for a buck a loaf too and its awesome, just need to re wrap and freeze them if you dont eat them within a day. Shoulda bought 10 but freezer space can be at a premium sometimes.
Sure do love Rutland!!
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

grammafreddy wrote:
noneofyourbiz3 wrote:The bread you can see through? Yeah, saw those loaves as well. Thankfully I dont eat much of it.

I don't eat much bread either. How do you mean "see through"? Does it have big holes? Or do you mean thin slices?

If it has beig holes in it (the bread) that means it was over mixed, same with mufffins, cakes etc. I do not cook but for some reason I know this useless piece of information.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Libelle, I thought you were talking about the reduced nutritional value in the dollar-a-loaf bread, not the overmixed aspect.

We buy the $4/loaf bread because it usually contributes more to our diets.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

marooned wrote:Libelle, I thought you were talking about the reduced nutritional value in the dollar-a-loaf bread, not the overmixed aspect.

We buy the $4/loaf bread because it usually contributes more to our diets.

Reread my post.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Martin_Herrigan
Fledgling

Re: Vernon BC Poverty

Post by Martin_Herrigan »

imahoser wrote:Id like to know the answer for that too. Lemme know when you find out. I work for one of these slave drivers.

Many of you do. I am not alone in my quest. There are some businesses who are worth working for. They compensate their workers with good pay in exchange for the workers supporting their employers profits. Both benefit from their relationship, as it should be. This type of business deserves respect because they show respect, not just for their workers but also for their community. If you live in Vernon BC, please contact me, I have a 'short list' of businesses worth working for.
A socially responsible business, does not employ poverty for profits.
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

grammafreddy wrote:
Catz wrote:I pay well over 1000 a month for food

Need another "kid"? My grocery bill is about $50 a month and I don't want for too much and eat nutritiously. But the thought of all that food in yer house is really tempting me to move in with you.

In truth, I am not sure what I'd do with it all. :D

My grocery bill is no where near $50 per month .. and I wonder how you do it GF.

I bake my own bread, and I don't buy much for junk... not lately anyway. I make my own pizza from scratch, bake muffins, etc.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Vernon BC Poverty

Post by grammafreddy »

Results-based pay might be interesting. Kinda like commission salespeople. Maybe once every quarter a percentage of the profit those workers helped to produce (after ALL business expenses were taken off the gross income) could be divided amongst the workers. The employer would get to keep a percentage, too - because it is his nickle on the line in the first place and he needs to earn a living as well and pay his mortgage, etc. That would be their "pay". The employee would be responsible for all their own income tax, medical, pension savings, EI, etc from their share of the profit.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

western_star wrote:My grocery bill is no where near $50 per month .. and I wonder how you do it GF.

I bake my own bread, and I don't buy much for junk... not lately anyway. I make my own pizza from scratch, bake muffins, etc.

How I do it is in this thread - I'm not typing it all out again, sorry.

western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

grammafreddy wrote:
western_star wrote:My grocery bill is no where near $50 per month .. and I wonder how you do it GF.

How I do it is in this thread - I'm not typing it all out again, sorry.

Sorry I guess I didn't read that part. You have some good suggestions. The one I like is using less meat and mixing the meat with with other things .. like maybe a casserole or something to make the meat stretch farther. I have been buying small packages of meat already sliced like pork butt chops instead of larger packages of meat and making a roast and maybe freezing some of the meat for a different meal. So I with probably check that out the next time I go shopping.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36924&start=105
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Does anybody make their own foot ware anymore?
Sure do love Rutland!!

Return to “Social Concerns”