The push to end homelessness.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
james-d
Banned

The push to end homelessness.

Post by james-d »

Can someone explain to me , Where do these people come from? Not the homeless, The ones who think they can help to end homelessness.as reported on castanet these people all rally to the cause to end homelessness. How is that possible? Most of these people are there by choice,Don't they know that? And the ones with mental issues, Well they need proffesional help, So we can't help them. Guess what ,As the weather warms you will see more and more homeless on Kelowna streets. Because they know there are a lot people here that will give them money,DUH. where else would they want to be? Sakatchewan does not have as severe a problem with this issue, and I found out neither does Edmonton or Winterpeg, Gee, I wonder why they like Kelowna, Could it be the nice weather and free handouts?? YA think??? As the weather gets cooler in the fall they all migrate to Vancouver. Odd, I wonder why? Gimme a break ,enact the vagrancy laws and you won't see them on our streets. But wait,that won't work cause Trudeau fixed that in 1968 Ta Daa. We can't tell them not to live on the streets, I wonder how much in taxes the govt loses, because they don't claim I,m willing to bet, And I know some of them make more beggin them a lot who choose to work for a living, Well I guess begging is a living, Like the one in Vancvouver was bragging about making 6to 8 hundred a day beggin on the street. And do ya think they are goin to show you this, No Way. they have to look poor to get your dough, And before a lot of you start spoutin off, Our company has offered to help, WITH JOBS starting at twenty dollars per hour. Of the over thirty people we offered these jobs to exactly NONE showed up. Not enough money I guess. Our manager gave one fellow a bus ticket to a jobsite in Kamloops. sold it and bought drugs instead I guess. If you really want to help these people offer them a hand up, not a hand out Open your doors and hire them, the ones that show up may be keepers. The ones that don't...... Well watch, they will be back on the corner next week.
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Re: The push to end homelessness.

Post by CorkSoaker »

So we enact the vagrancy laws, lock em up for a little while then homelessness is cured? Wow, you sir are a genius.

Edit: of course many migrate to the warmer climates during the colder months. Just because they are homeless does not mean they are stupid.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

It is often said that truth is the first casualty of any war
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

If drug and alcohol addiction is at the root of much of the homelessness, then why are we closing treatment programs? Most of these people are not likely to pull themselves up by their bootstraps (much as we might wish they would), so without help to get their lives back on track, how are they going to do it? This is a social/public health problem which we can choose not to address, but then we can't complain about the inevitable results.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

To cork soaker thank you, But Iam not really a genius.But the vagrancy laws should be used. I will explain how they would work, We would all agree that we do not like seeing these homeless people on our streets , begging for money, So, If they can show no visible means of support, no money and no place to live, then they are our guests over nite at, You guessed it the crowbar hotel. Next morning they are sent down the highway to the next town. Where they enjoy their company.We don't have them wandering our streets at night, Uh looking for daisies maybe.? perhaps they will find a town like Kelowna that enjoys having them around, You know, Beg for money for a couple hours with your dog by your side, then go lay on the beach for a while, then back begging for money, then visit city park and the local drug dealer . then back beggin for money ,then find a place in the bushes to sleep for a while and count your money, ( man sounds real good,) wish I could do it lol,Not all these people are drunks and druggies, It is NOT a social problem. It is a stupidity problem we are the dumb ones who keep giving them money STOP doing it, They will clean up and find a job. At least some of them would, the rest ,well we can't look after everyone and for those of you who think you can, Good open your home with a smile and look after them, Thats the christian thing to do, Right??? There is NO way you can stop homlessness, It is impossible!!!! as long as people are being born we will be saddled with those who do not wish to work and contribute to their own well being. and those with mental issues.. This solution with the varancy laws worked real good years ago in the olden days, the sixties. Wonder why we can't use them today? perhaps because we have given every body so many rights, the few can dictate to the many. Wrong, In my humble opinion.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Undiagnosed or misdiagnosed metal illness, or being seriously abused by someone close, is the root of most homelessness. Once people are adult and their immediate family is no longer required to care for them, many are booted from that home. They turn to drugs and alcohol to cope. Many of the younger homeless have been booted from home for various reasons such as admitting they are gay. How sad is that? The OP’s comments are offensive at best and ignorant to the reality of why homelessness exists. It’s this type of attitude that continues to permeate in society, homes, religious mantra, that add to the ongoing and increasing problem. If you don’t want to drop money in someone’s cup or hat on the street, don’t. But don’t judge them until you understand their circumstances, you know . . . walk a mile in their shoes. Otherwise, IMO attitudes of indifference or intolerance will perpetuate the problems. Certainly closing doors on facilities like Crossroads is going to be a big punch in the gut for this segment of society.
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

james-d wrote:then back beggin for money ,then find a place in the bushes to sleep for a while and count your money, ( man sounds real good,) wish I could do it lol

Well, why don't you put your money where your mouth is (no pun intended) come on down to the DTES, give up all your worldy possessions and your home and then you can share with the rest of us how awesome it is to be a homeless person living in abject poverty.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I should clarify my post a little. When I hear the word homeless I think of young people standing on the corner begging, Mtn biker ,get out of the house and pay attention ,Most are under the age of 40!!!! Now. in my case ,if someone becomes homeless after a fire, losing a job, or perhaps just being a single mom (of which I think there a way too many). then I do help and those that know me, Know this is true, Big time, I do my best, But not for young strong people on the streets, I know they all have a story I was abused, My dog didn't like me , my Dad left, I got so many tattoos I can't find work, nobody likes me, I gotta go eat worms ya ya ya ya tough, suck it up buttercup we ALL have problems. Those with mental problems I can't help Iam not a proffesional. in 1998 when the govt closed the booby hatch in abbottsford they put hundreds on the street.Talk to your mla and see which one will re-open it.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I can't believe the bleeding hearts on here, I know where you are coming from, But YOU are perpetuating the problem. Ever heard of tough love, we must insist these people that are able, And that is the majority of them help themselves, And yes this is nothing new People have been having the same problems for decades the only way it changes ,is if they want to change it, YOU are not going to change it, but you help keep the cycle going by giving them handouts.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

james-d wrote:I should clarify my post a little. When I hear the word homeless I think of young people standing on the corner begging, Mtn biker ,get out of the house and pay attention ,Most are under the age of 40!!!! Now. in my case ,if someone becomes homeless after a fire, losing a job, or perhaps just being a single mom (of which I think there a way too many). then I do help and those that know me, Know this is true, Big time, I do my best, But not for young strong people on the streets, I know they all have a story I was abused, My dog didn't like me , my Dad left, I got so many tattoos I can't find work, nobody likes me, I gotta go eat worms ya ya ya ya tough, suck it up buttercup we ALL have problems. Those with mental problems I can't help Iam not a proffesional. in 1998 when the govt closed the booby hatch in abbottsford they put hundreds on the street.Talk to your mla and see which one will re-open it.

You really don't get it. Attitudes and comments like these perpetuate the problem, they do nothing to resolve the issue or find working solutions. Perhaps one needs to have lived longer and experienced more of life to get the bigger picture. Or some may never get it because they just can't see past their own agenda and attitude. It takes a big person to see beyond themselves. Something that is learned or taught. Many miss the lessons and this is what you have. Which ever it is, it reads, sounds, and looks just like the above. Be careful what one says because it will become your reality.
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

So you are able to tell the difference between someone who is just playing homeless and someone who is truly homeless?..

ETA: So what about the entrenched drug addict, wanting to quit the junk but unable to do it on their own (really not an easy task) and because of diminishing rehabilitation and treatment centres are unable to access resources or access them in a timely manner? Are we just going to "will" them to get clean?

james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

To mtn biker, You sound like one of those bleeding heart experts, Let's find a way to deal with the issues and find a working solution. Did you read that some where. THERE IS NO working solution, as I stated as long as people are being born, We will have these ISSUES and will never find a WORKING solution. terms coined by some social worker to justify their feeble attempts, The only way in my view is try to make these people tow the mark ,When it was difficult 60 years ago thats what they did it helped ,but did not solve the problem, back to humans being born.The more we give these folks the freebies, the more we are enabling them to continue, I still think, for the majority, the varancy laws are the ONlY way to rid our streets of these beggars.Sorry to be so harsh, But ain't life a B---h
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

Using Vancouver and the DTES as an example, tough love approach was used during the lead up to and during Expo 86 and the same for the 2010 Winter Olympics. It did nothing to lessen homelessness but instead managed just to spatially isolate poverty, drug use, and crime.

james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

Yea cork soaker, that didn't work either too many makin a good living as beggars, But Kelowna has the answers, and They WILL end homelessness.LOL
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

james-d wrote:To mtn biker, You sound like one of those bleeding heart experts, Let's find a way to deal with the issues and find a working solution. Did you read that some where. THERE IS NO working solution, as I stated as long as people are being born, We will have these ISSUES and will never find a WORKING solution. terms coined by some social worker to justify their feeble attempts, The only way in my view is try to make these people tow the mark ,When it was difficult 60 years ago thats what they did it helped ,but did not solve the problem, back to humans being born.The more we give these folks the freebies, the more we are enabling them to continue, I still think, for the majority, the varancy laws are the ONlY way to rid our streets of these beggars.Sorry to be so harsh, But ain't life a B---h

Ignorance is not a blessing in this case. As for attitudes, these comments exude all that is wrong in society. No argument. When we can rid ourselves of low level base self interest, as clearly demonstrated in some recent comments, we'll all be way ahead. Harsh you are not. There are many other words more apropos in this case. When the grammar of the argument can surpass a grade three level, the words will have more impact. Maybe.
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

Mtn Biker wrote:

Ignorance is not a blessing in this case. As for attitudes, these comments exude all that is wrong in society. No argument. When we can rid ourselves of low level base self interest, as clearly demonstrated in some recent comments, we'll all be way ahead. Harsh you are not. There are many other words more apropos in this case. When the grammar of the argument can surpass a grade three level, the words will have more impact. Maybe.

I was going to say that it all seems elementary.

Return to “Social Concerns”