The push to end homelessness.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: The push to end homelessness.

Post by the truth »

fluffy wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 3:54 pm
BC Landlord wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 2:12 pmI would disagree. The only "accomplishment" most of these people's minds are preoccupied with is how to get another fix. Housing them won't change that.
Somehow that line of thought doesn't surprise me. That would be the "fear and prejudice" of which I speak.
might have to do with there criminal behavior maybe, ya think, robbing us blind when we are at work or in bed sleeping , but hey :cuss: that i guess
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

rustled wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:06 pm
:topic: Some of the homeless are incredibly difficult to house. It's human nature to think everyone wants what we want - not everyone does.

In a humane society, we want to help those who are vulnerable.

In a humane society, we have various rules to ensure we're not negatively impacting each other.

In a humane society, it's not easy to set up housing for everyone.

In a humane society, we do our best to create, promote and support programs that do not provide secure housing for some at the expense of the security of those around them. And that requires that we are honest: some of the homeless will torment their fellow shelter residents and their neighbours.
Hmmm.......Medicine Hat is twice as big as Penticton, I wonder what they are doing that's different where they can set up housing for any types of homeless people. Perhaps it just boils down to motivation and that elusive want to. Seems to me cities like Penticton haven't gotten over their perception bias towards the homeless.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:21 pm Hmmm.......Medicine Hat is twice as big as Penticton, I wonder what they are doing that's different where they can set up housing for any types of homeless people. Perhaps it just boils down to motivation and that elusive want to. Seems to me cities like Penticton haven't gotten over their perception bias towards the homeless.
No, it boils down to a harsher climate. Medicine Hat has far less homeless people than Penticton. They don't go to places where it's cold.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:58 pm
foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:21 pm Hmmm.......Medicine Hat is twice as big as Penticton, I wonder what they are doing that's different where they can set up housing for any types of homeless people. Perhaps it just boils down to motivation and that elusive want to. Seems to me cities like Penticton haven't gotten over their perception bias towards the homeless.
No, it boils down to a harsher climate. Medicine Hat has far less homeless people than Penticton. They don't go to places where it's cold.
Medicine Hat has no functional homeless person and it's not about the weather.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Group says Medicine Hat has ended chronic homelessness, as cities eye same nationwide
An Alberta city has become the first in the country to have ended chronic homelessness, just as municipal leaders push the federal government to help do the same countrywide.

Medicine Hat first said in 2015 that it had ended homelessness in its city, but that was based on its own standards because none existed nationally at the time.

That has changed, and Wednesday the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness said Medicine Hat is now at what’s called “functional zero,” meaning there are no more than three people experiencing chronic homelessness in a community for three straight months.........

Jaime Rogers with the Medicine Hat Community Housing Society said what has helped is an integrated system in the city where anyone who accesses one service immediately gets added to a central list so they can quickly get supports and be housed.

She said the work in Medicine Hat could easily be replicated in other cities.

“It is possible, it is doable,” said Rogers, the society’s manager of homeless and housing development, in an interview.

Every time we had a setback, we kept pushing forward because at the end of the day, every human being is worthy of a home and that is our social responsibility.”
https://globalnews.ca/news/7914660/medi ... elessness/
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:01 pm Medicine Hat has no functional homeless person and it's not about the weather.
What's "functional homeless person"? That's an oxymoron in my mind.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:08 pm
foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:01 pm Medicine Hat has no functional homeless person and it's not about the weather.
What's "functional homeless person"? That's an oxymoron in my mind.
Should have wrote function zero homelessness......
Medicine Hat’s historic achievement of reaching functional zero chronic homelessness shows that ending homelessness in Canada is possible. Functional zero means there were three or less individuals experiencing chronic homelessness in the community for three consecutive months. Reaching functional zero is a national achievement confirmed by the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness’s Built for Zero Canada. 
https://caeh.ca/medicine-hat-functional-zero/
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I could be wrong here, I strongly suspect this could become monstrous empty money pit. Taking long gun registration out of #1 position.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

GordonH wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:16 pm I could be wrong here, I strongly suspect this could become monstrous empty money pit. Taking long gun registration out of #1 position.
“Keeping a police helicopter flying at night and incarcerating people costs anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000 per homeless person per year,” he said. “It costs us about $20,000 a year to house somebody. Even if you don’t care about these people, and have no feeling about your fellow man, if you’re a taxpayer, it saves you money. We’ve housed over 1,000 people at a cost of around $2 million.”
https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-news/ ... melessness
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:26 pm
“Keeping a police helicopter flying at night and incarcerating people costs anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000 per homeless person per year,” he said. “It costs us about $20,000 a year to house somebody. Even if you don’t care about these people, and have no feeling about your fellow man, if you’re a taxpayer, it saves you money. We’ve housed over 1,000 people at a cost of around $2 million.”
https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-news/ ... melessness
The problem I see with that approach is that for every homeless person we provide housing for, there are three more to come attracted by that. That's three times more helicopter and jail costs. It's like feeding wildlife.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:37 pm
The problem I see with that approach is that for every homeless person we provide housing, there are three more to come attracted by that. That's three times more helicopter and jail costs. It's like feeding wildlife.
The program's been running since 2009....did you read that the homeless population increased by 3 folds in MH?

20K -vs- 80K.........you're a business guy, which number would you pick if you're the taxpayer?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:44 pm The program's been running since 2009....did you read that the homeless population increased by 3 folds in MH?

20K -vs- 80K.........you're a business guy, which number would you pick if you're the taxpayer?
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Medicine Hat has ever had a serious problems with homelessness, for natural reasons (i.e. climate). Penticton and Kelowna on the other hand do, and it's becoming rampant, in spite of all efforts to house them or provide assistance otherwise. It just doesn't work.
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

CorkSoaker wrote: Apr 25th, 2013, 10:45 pm Methadone is part of the harm reduction strategy. It doesn't get someone as high but helps with the withdrawal symptoms; it is prescribed to help people overcome opioid dependency. So whats your issue with that?

I suppose you also have an issue with insite and would rather those poor folks overdose and die in the alleyways.
I love how you talk like you know methadone. I was on Methadone and I can tell you right now it knocked my socks off! You absolutely get high and it was the worst thing I have ever detoxed from! Go on some opioid forums and read the horror stories if you don't believe me, I would much rather detox from heroin. No other substance that I have detoxed from hurt as much or lasted as long, it felt like my bones were being cracked slowly in a vice. That stuff should be outlawed and the program is basically designed to keep you on it forever. The only positive would be that it won't have Fent in it but you will still be a junkie.
Halfmeasures

Post by Halfmeasures »

No amount of government intervention, programs, or private charity will ever end homelessness. It is not a fixable problem.
one of us is nuts
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 6:03 pm
foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 5:44 pm The program's been running since 2009....did you read that the homeless population increased by 3 folds in MH?

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Medicine Hat has ever had a serious problems with homelessness, for natural reasons (i.e. climate). Penticton and Kelowna on the other hand do, and it's becoming rampant, in spite of all efforts to house them or provide assistance otherwise. It just doesn't work.

You'd be wrong then, before becoming functionally zero homelessness in 2020, they had 1,147different people going through their emergency shelter in 2008. They didn't have an official count until 2014 but just the emergency shelter use, the problem is more than "I don't think" MH had a problem. Penticton last time they had an official count was 108 in 2018. They estimate it's around 140 homeless now. Kelowna is around 300. I would venture MH had a homeless problem otherwise, why would they start the program in the first place? They've already got over 1300 people off the streets.......now if only.....

Return to “Social Concerns”