The push to end homelessness.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
foenix
Guru

Re: The push to end homelessness.

Post by foenix »

Halfmeasures wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 7:59 pm No amount of government intervention, programs, or private charity will ever end homelessness. It is not a fixable problem.
I think someone called that personal bias.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 8:49 pm You'd be wrong then, before becoming functionally zero homelessness in 2020, they had 1,147different people going through their emergency shelter in 2008. They didn't have an official count until 2014 but just the emergency shelter use, the problem is more than "I don't think" MH had a problem.
I would venture to say they were just transients. That would be 3 new folks per day. For a city of 60,000, that's not too much of a problem. Otherwise, they would be officially counting them. Shelters do counts to justify expenditures and get supplies.
I would venture MH had a homeless problem otherwise, why would they start the program in the first place?
Judging things by looking at what politicians do is almost always misleading. They do that for political and monetary gains.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

BC Landlord wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 9:17 pm
foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 8:49 pm You'd be wrong then, before becoming functionally zero homelessness in 2020, they had 1,147different people going through their emergency shelter in 2008. They didn't have an official count until 2014 but just the emergency shelter use, the problem is more than "I don't think" MH had a problem.
I would venture to say they were just transients. That would be 3 new folks per day. For a city of 60,000, that's not too much of a problem. Otherwise, they would be officially counting them. Shelters do counts to justify expenditures and get supplies.
I would venture MH had a homeless problem otherwise, why would they start the program in the first place?
Judging things by looking at what politicians do is almost always misleading. They do that for political and monetary gains.
No that's over 1300 homeless with homes. If Penticton provided homes for their homeless, that's 140....and I'm sure it wouldn't be 140 every year no? Even if they did, in 10 years they would match MH's feat.

Nope Alberta recognized a problem around 2008 and they decided to do something about it. I believe 8 cities were involved and are in varying levels of success. MH is at the top of the heap in their efforts. It doesn't just take lip service and money. It needs those too but it's a lot of planning, organizing, people working very hard and the political will to keep pushing through the rough spots. It takes a huge commitment to run a program like that from many stakeholders. Just checkout the case study of their program I posted a couple of pages back.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:14 pm
fluffy wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Are you denying the existence of fear and prejudice when it comes to homelessness ? Just read some of the other drivel being posted here and tell me these people have an open mind.
I see the same perception bias that would torment the homeless by dumping feces on the shelter's door steps, then when caught on camera hastily offers an apology because he doesn't want his business to be impacted. I see the same perception bias from the mayor who owns multiple businesses and buildings near the shelter doing his best to spend 300K of taxpayer dollars and punt 42 homeless to the curb because making money is more important to him than caring for the have nots.
I see the homeless being held to a standard we don't hold non homeless to and don't think that's fair. It's distraction, fear mongering and NIMBYism.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 12:58 pm
foenix wrote: Aug 4th, 2021, 4:14 pm

I see the same perception bias that would torment the homeless by dumping feces on the shelter's door steps, then when caught on camera hastily offers an apology because he doesn't want his business to be impacted. I see the same perception bias from the mayor who owns multiple businesses and buildings near the shelter doing his best to spend 300K of taxpayer dollars and punt 42 homeless to the curb because making money is more important to him than caring for the have nots.
I see the homeless being held to a standard we don't hold non homeless to and don't think that's fair. It's distraction, fear mongering and NIMBYism.
I see the same thing, with some of the housed homeless not held responsible for how their behaviour affects their neighbours because of their mental health and addiction issues, and I don't think that's fair, either. It's a difficult problem we're grappling with.

IMO, dismissing the security concerns of (and for) the people who have been living in fear of some of the homeless shelters' and housing programs' clientele as "distraction, fear mongering and NIMBYism" shows a total lack of empathy and compassion for them.

A humane society shows compassion and empathy for all.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

rustled wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 1:44 pm
That should read, a humane society shows compassion and empathy for all especially for the weak and the vulnerable.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

foenix wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 3:56 pm
rustled wrote: Aug 5th, 2021, 1:44 pm
That should read, a humane society shows compassion and empathy for all especially for the weak and the vulnerable.
Many of us have compassion and empathy for all, but we don't have unlimited resources. I. E. taxes.
I'm taxed out by every level of government out there.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Ending homelessness is as realistic a goal, as resurrecting Elvis.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

BC Landlord wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 8:51 am Ending homelessness is as realistic a goal, as resurrecting Elvis.
Yes, I want Elvis back too ... I'm glad we're on the same page here
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Elvis is alive and living in Brazil [icon_lol2.gif]
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 11:19 am Elvis is alive and living in Brazil [icon_lol2.gif]
And I thought I kept seeing him around Penticton during certain seasons ....
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Trixster
Banned

Post by Trixster »

Mrmarvingardens wrote: Sep 2nd, 2021, 11:19 am Elvis is alive and living in Brazil [icon_lol2.gif]
Ever find it strange that they wont do DNA on body found at Graceland to determine if its Elvis or not
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Haha [icon_lol2.gif]

Now, let’s all get

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
apkfuncom

Post by apkfuncom »

james-d wrote: Apr 16th, 2013, 12:05 pm Can someone explain to me , Where do these people come from? Not the homeless, The ones who think they can help to end homelessness.as reported on castanet these people all rally to the cause to end homelessness. How is that possible? Most of these people are there by choice,Don't they know that? And the ones with mental issues, Well they need proffesional help, So we can't help them. Guess what ,As the weather warms you will see more and more homeless on Kelowna streets. Because they know there are a lot people here that will give them money,DUH. where else would they want to be? Sakatchewan does not have as severe a problem with this issue, and I found out neither does Edmonton or Winterpeg, Gee, I wonder why they like Kelowna, Could it be the nice weather and free handouts?? YA think??? As the weather gets cooler in the fall they all migrate to Vancouver. Odd, I wonder why? Gimme a break ,enact the vagrancy laws and you won't see them on our streets. But wait,that won't work cause Trudeau fixed that in 1968 Ta Daa. We can't tell them not to live on the streets, I wonder how much in taxes the govt loses, because they don't claim I,m willing to bet, And I know some of them make more beggin them a lot who choose to work for a living, Well I guess begging is a living, Like the one in Vancvouver was bragging about making 6to 8 hundred a day beggin on the street. And do ya think they are goin to show you this, No Way. they have to look poor to get your dough, And before a lot of you start spoutin off, Our company has offered to help, WITH JOBS starting at twenty dollars per hour. Of the over thirty people we offered these jobs to exactly NONE showed up. Not enough money I guess. Our manager gave one fellow a bus ticket to a jobsite in Kamloops. sold it and bought drugs instead I guess. If you really want to help these people offer them a hand up, not a hand out Open your doors and hire them, the ones that show up may be keepers. The ones that don't...... Well watch, they will be back on the corner next week.
Yea cork soaker, that didn't work either too many makin a good living as beggars, But Kelowna has the answers, and They WILL end homelessness.LOL

Return to “Social Concerns”