Prices at the grocery store going up to

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Prices at the grocery store going up to

Post by alfred2 »

electricity rates go up for a few reasons, workers demand more money less hours, cost of money to expand etc.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

cost of money to expand etc
yes , but why should customers pay for that? if any store you went to said hey , we want to expand , and you the customer is going to pay for it, you wouldn't object? what's profits for?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I'm several years out of my economics courses, but I think we should all be more worried if we started to see consistent deflation in pricing.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Those economic courses were taught by the same people who destroyed the economy.

Economics needs a complete re-think.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

GrooveTunes wrote:I was just thinking the same thing today when I went out for a few things. Prices have risen quite a bit.

Yes we must crush organized labour so wages don't inflate to the point that you can put food on the table and gas in the car. Never mind the braces for the kids teeth, the clothes they need, or hell maybe even a vacation. Good god…we certainly don't need any of that nonsense.

Vote conservative. They have everything under control.

Sure, keep jacking wages up, keep jacking benefits up, keep making the companies who produce our goods pay for your kids' rotten teeth, keep inefficient union labour producing our consumer staples.

Like that won't affect the cost of the things we buy in stores. Right.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lakevixen wrote: yes , but why should customers pay for that? if any store you went to said hey , we want to expand , and you the customer is going to pay for it, you wouldn't object? what's profits for?

Uh, who pays for the profits that are reinvested to expand businesses?

What a total disconnect.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea well like i said before , the utilities rip us off more than any ndp goverment ever dreamed of .
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

this isnt about traditional profits. this is about expectations of profits at all costs. no business is ever at a loss anymore and it is too big to fail.....
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Apr 16th, 2014, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

sooperphreek wrote:this isnt about traditional profits. this is about expectations of profits at all costs. no business is ever at a loss anymore and it is too big to fail.....

Really? No business is ever at a loss anymore?

There's a revelation that the stockmarket isn't aware of. Even the people working for the companies that are bleeding red ink don't even know that they aren't actually losing money.

Thanks Soop, there are going to be millions of very happy people when they learn this.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Really? No business is ever at a loss anymore?

There's a revelation that the stockmarket isn't aware of.

they just get corporate welfare and get a piece of a bailout package.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

sooperphreek wrote:this isnt about traditional profits. this is about expectations of profits at all costs. no business is ever at a loss anymore and it is too big to fail.....

One of the most foolish and inaccurate posts of 2014.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Went to the grocery store the other day ... bought laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, paper towel, box of frozen chicken breasts, bread and a case of Coke ... $102 ... sigh.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
doubleS

Post by doubleS »

Thus that's why I literally "support" Americans by shopping in the states for dairy, gas, etc. I can't support Canada if the wages stay down and the prices goes up. Off I go to the states. The way I see it....wages need to be balanced fairly with food, etc. It's not. So this is my choice..."supporting" Americans instead so I can feed my family; there's no way I can with the prices here.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Things are cheaper in the States because wages are lower.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”