The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Re: The feminist movement is getting out of control.

Post by liisgo »

Silverstarqueen wrote:We all know instinctively that men have been in charge of all the most important aspects and inventions of our civilization for centuries,

Yes 100% correct, most inventions, corporations, products were and have been, dreamed of, invented, developed by man. Most, not all, but you are correct, most.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Such as in medicine for instance, because women weren't doctors much until just recently right? they didn't have the education or the smarts according to popular theory.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/1843228
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Most people cannot name more than one or two discoveries or inventions by women and so seriously underestimate the value of contributions from women. (incomplete list)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... s_by_women
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Such as in medicine for instance, because women weren't doctors much until just recently right? they didn't have the education or the smarts according to popular theory.

And this is all so wrong, women have been in these fields for over 100 years. Many examples of lots that were and made great contributions. "Not until just recently". Education, opportunity has been available for decades. Nothing has been stopping women from long before your time and your mothers time. Only choices.
There have been many inventions etc, by women that made the choices to educate and join all these fields. They made it happen, your grandmother, and you if you wanted too. Choices is what made it happen. Men made those decisions, educated themselves in that field, dreamed, invented, developed etc, Just like some women who made that choice. And succeeded.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

zoo wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:Such as in medicine for instance, because women weren't doctors much until just recently right? they didn't have the education or the smarts according to popular theory.

And this is all so wrong, women have been in these fields for over 100 years. Many examples of lots that were and made great contributions. "Not until just recently". Education, opportunity has been available for decades. Nothing has been stopping women from long before your time and your mothers time. Only choices.
There have been many inventions etc, by women that made the choices to educate and join all these fields. They made it happen, your grandmother, and you if you wanted too. Choices is what made it happen. Men made those decisions, educated themselves in that field, dreamed, invented, developed etc, Just like some women who made that choice. And succeeded.

In my mother's time, women who were brighter than most were mainly directed to nursing or teaching.Her mother raised 9 children, so it would have been difficult to fit a medical career around them.

https://fmwc.ca/canadian-women-physicians-and-the-fmwc/
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Most people cannot name more than one or two discoveries or inventions by women and so seriously underestimate the value of contributions from women. (incomplete list)

I'm not going to read your list ... But Madaame Currie comes to mind... Rosa Parks did a LOT more than invent ..

Sorry that you think ALL men ignore or diminish women .. But that's a YOU thing .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

My wife had her daughter at 16 (many years ago). No hubby in the picture and her parents, Catholic school guidance councillors and just about everyone told her to drop out, hide away, and just go on the dole. She told them to pound sand. She went back to that school facing daily ridicule, graduated with honors, and went on to post secondary into a totally male dominated field. Talk about taking the path less traveled. She raised her daughter without parental help, when the business climate was much less tolerant around single mothers than they are today (if they actually are), and succeeded in buying her first house at the age of 22 when the interest rate was an insane 18%! That took a lot of balls and determination. She succeeded against all odds because she was smart, determined and wouldn’t settle for the party line. She kicked *bleep* and I am more than just her biggest fan.

Yes women still face challenges in acceptance in the workforce but it was a lot harder in years past to succeed in the rat race than it is now and many did just that. Determination to succeed and don’t take no for an answer. The formula hasn’t changed much.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

MAPearce wrote:

I'm not going to read your list ... But Madaame Currie comes to mind... Rosa Parks did a LOT more than invent ..

Sorry that you think ALL men ignore or diminish women .. But that's a YOU thing .

Don't put words in my comment. I never even remotely ever said or wrote that.
That's a YOU thing.
I wonder why you keep making personal comments about me, instead of discussing the issues?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Don't put words in my comment. I never even remotely ever said or wrote that.
That's a YOU thing.
I wonder why you keep making personal comments about me, instead of discussing the issues?

Probably because you, as a western-world woman (and probably white and middle class) has consistently put your victimhood on show and blamed the patriarchy over and over in this thread.

You've found a list of remarkable women who have made their mark on society. Many, it seems, during times that were truly unkind to women. Perhaps if you focused your effort less on espousing your oppression on an internet forum and instead in doing something remarkable, you too might be recognized for making a difference. I doubt there's a man alive on here who would champion any of the atrocities that take place against any human (male or female) - but it gets a little tiring to see post-after-post of you decrying against "patriarchy". Well - what are you going to do about it? Whine on an internet forum, or go make a difference with real actions?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

36Drew wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:Don't put words in my comment. I never even remotely ever said or wrote that.
That's a YOU thing.

Probably because you, as a western-world woman (and probably white and middle class) has consistently put your victimhood on show and blamed the patriarchy over and over in this thread.

You've found a list of remarkable women who have made their mark on society. Many, it seems, during times that were truly unkind to women. Perhaps if you focused your effort less on espousing your oppression on an internet forum and instead in doing something remarkable, you too might be recognized for making a difference. I doubt there's a man alive on here who would champion any of the atrocities that take place against any human (male or female) - but it gets a little tiring to see post-after-post of you decrying against "patriarchy". Well - what are you going to do about it? Whine on an internet forum, or go make a difference with real actions?

Again putting words in my comments which were not there. Would you like to quote me anywhere saying western women are "oppressed", or decrying " patriarchy". The "victimhood" I have commented on as being a victim was when I (and many many others) have been victims of assault. It seems some people don't consider assault as being an attack on a "victim". One of my closest friends was running a women's shelter for abused women so I have done my bit working for women's issues. I have spent quite a lot of time helping children going through that sort of family stress as well as sexual abuse. So I will continue to talk about these issues until it is understood what feminism is about.

If you are tired of reading posts about feminism, why are you reading a thread about feminism "over and over"?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Again putting words in my comments which were not there. Would you like to quote me anywhere saying western women are "oppressed", or decrying " patriarchy".

I'm not going to dig through 140 pages of posts, but finding an example isn't terribly difficult.

I find it strange that the same men who say women should be doing unpaid work for decades, the same men who want free housecleaning, cooking, raising of children, are the same ones who complain that those women then often need financial support when divorce follows.

Again, I don't think there's a man alive in these forums who expects their wife or SO to stay at home and do all the housework. That's a 50's nuclear family ideology, and thankfully it's dying out.

Silverstarqueen wrote:If you are tired of reading posts about feminism, why are you reading a thread about feminism "over and over"?

It's a thread about "feminism getting out of control". Thank you for helping to underscore the topic of the thread.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Waiting for Tampax to make ad with toxic feminism :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2DQ4TWAmIg
Last edited by zoo on Jan 16th, 2019, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

36Drew wrote:
It's a thread about "feminism getting out of control". Thank you for helping to underscore the topic of the thread.

And it seemingly portays just that throughout near every page.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

dirtybiker wrote:And it seemingly portays just that throughout near every page.

I don't know if that's particularly true. There are a small handful (three or four) staunch feminists that have been posting in this thread. Most of the discussion has been reasoned. Two, I can point out, have a very specific narrative that they like to follow and vehemently reject any conversation that might negate that narrative. One, in particular, has a debating style that can only be described as "moving the goalposts with the regularity of a ferret on crack".

Women do have a lot to be concerned about still, and society still has many improvements that can be made. However, women in the western world - generally - are not "oppressed" and have equal (if not greater) opportunity compared to their male counterparts. We don't have issues with arranged marriages, women as dowry, FGM, denial of education, lack of voting rights, and a host of other concerns that are prevalent in some parts of the world. The fact that feminists can coin the term "mansplaining" or "manspreading" and call that a concern suggests that some would simply prefer to hold on to their victimhood rather than move on with furthering the quality of life for those who truly are oppressed.

I don't know any men who condone rape, harassment, violence, keeping a woman at home barefoot and pregnant, or any of the other activities that are oft decried in this thread.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Nail meet hammer, well worded and on point.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Social Concerns”