Too easily offended??

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Too easily offended??

Post by whatwhat »

Symbonite wrote:-well while this is on the topic which is worse the "N" word or the Cracker oops i mean the "C" word.

Well seeing as being white has never lead to anyones systematic oppression, or been used as a slur for when a minority group were slaves, I'd have to say the N word is worse..
hail Satan y'all
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I think the Jewish community may disagree with you.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I think the Jewish community may disagree with you.

Pretty sure the Jewish community were/are never referred too as crackers as a religious slur...
hail Satan y'all
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

whatwhat wrote:
Pretty sure the Jewish community were/are never referred too as crackers as a religious slur...

No, but they were referred to as "kikes".
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Dizzy1 wrote:No, but they were referred to as "kikes".

Yes, but "kikes" is not "crackers". Two different words, one about skin colour, one about religion.
hail Satan y'all
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Semantics and grasping. And thankd for pointing out the *bleep* thing Diz. I was just on my way to do that myself.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Dizzy1 wrote:PC has gone way too far. The way I see it, if you have a problem with something I say or do, then you are the one with the problem - not me or anyone else - so you better put the big boy undies on, grow up and adjust yourself and not expect the world to adjust to what you think is appropriate.

You should acknowledge your own words more often.
:up:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

whatwhat wrote:
Yes, but "kikes" is not "crackers". Two different words, one about skin colour, one about religion.

Slur is a slur, religion, skin color, doesn't matter.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Some of us are easily offended.
Some of us are not easily offended.
It's been that way since the very beginning.
It's based on experience(s).

We need to stop trying to fit all of the people into the same box. Some don't/won't fit.
What we need to do is gain a better understanding of what it is to be an animal.
We need to ditch this creationist idea that leaves out many, many thousands of years of social development that bring us to this time, on this day in this forum to talk of it.

We are all different. We are born much the same, but the moment we enter this space our experiences begin to differ, and shape who we become.
Take one child and shower them with love, gentle approaches to learning and positive reinforcement and take notes of what that child becomes.
Take the child from the next crib and show it no love. Leave it alone and just give basic food, water and shelter and what do we see happen?
How many of you know the answer?

That child dies.
A human child cannot live on food, shelter and water alone. It's a remarkable discovery (albeit cruel) to find this, but it tells so much.
We are heavily influenced by our environment.

We need to be more open to accept that there will always be those that are easily offended, as there will always be those that easily offend. Rather than have an expectation for those not like us to be more like us, we need to be more considerate and empathetic.

If someone comes unglued on account of a reference you unknowingly make, rather than judge them negatively, consider that they woke up to spend another day of hell in your heaven. They have a very different view of the world on account of their experience(s) in it.

That's not to say that certain behaviors are acceptable or should be encouraged. I am only stating that rather than be harsh with judgement and expectation, we need to consider why, and be empathetic to their pain and suffering.
That someone that mistook your words to be offensive, might very well be the best of the best of the best to a little boy or girl that relies on them to be that sister, mother, aunt they need more than anything. For that reason, we need to be more supportive through our actions or perhaps inactions.
We just don't know.

Yes, some people are too easily offended. Most of us are at times. Most of us also offend at times whether we know it or not. All we should have for expectations, is that we expect ourselves to be more open, empathetic and considerate of others we share this wicked world with.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Graham Adder wrote:

You should acknowledge your own words more often.
:up:

Example? Or are you just trolling?
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Dizzy1 wrote:Example? Or are you just trolling?

Refer to Ft McMoney threads for examples.
And....I was trolling...no wait.
Trawling.
Caught one.
:130:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Graham Adder wrote:Refer to Ft McMoney threads for examples.
And....I was trolling...no wait.
Trawling.
Caught one.
:130:

Your interpretation of this thread topic and my stance has fallen short.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

You're too easily offended
Am not
Are too
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

White slave owners were called "Crackers" on account of the sound of the whip they'd use to keep their slaves in line.
The reference today is used to describe a racist white person.
It's not about religion.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Actually it wasn't the slave owners who were called crackers, it was their foremen and they also could have been black. The term is not definitively attributed to that idea though.

It is however very closely tied to this; "crackers" specifies men who "are descended from convicts that were transported from Great Britain to Virginia at different times, and inherit so much profligacy from their ancestors, that they are the most abandoned set of men on earth."

The term we hear today began during the civil rights movement and was used by blacks toward any white person.

A little jumpy there Graham.

Return to “Social Concerns”