Social Justice Warrior

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Social Justice Warrior

Post by Queen K »

I see this all over the place, peppering posts with "sjw" has become a break-away favourite from 2016 to now.

I have to ask, what the :cuss: does it mean?

To me it's become a term to mean anything someone wants, as long as the perjorative is understood. Not much more.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Social Justice Warrior

Post by Rosemary1 »

The posters probably don't know themselves.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

In my mind , an SJW is someone who would advocate for a person who is terminally ill to remain that way till they die a nasty , withering , lonely death... Someone who would advocate for an animal to be spared who would have died as "Mother Nature " saw fit in the wild just because it was going to die in the wild but came to town instead..

Someone who would make an excuse for a child rapist to have another breath on this planet after they ADMITTED to the most heinous of all crimes ....

Someone who would defend an ADMITTED child exploiter on a "technicality" of the law..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Queen K wrote:I see this all over the place, peppering posts with "sjw" has become a break-away favourite from 2016 to now.

I do agree it sure has become popular, but I think it was due to the fact that everyone was told by all the SJW's that we can't just call them irrationally uppity opinionated *%#$% anymore.

[icon_lol2.gif]
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Pay it Forward!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

It's just a way to try and shut someone up you don't agree with. When people can't use logic and maturity to discuss topics they tend to go for insults, like SJW or "snowflake". They try to belittle the other person to devalue what they are saying instead of actually listening and continuing the conversation.
hail Satan y'all
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

To me a Social Justice Warrior is someone looking to be offended by something; they then turn that offense into a Crusade of Righteousness.

Some fave SJW topics: "Cultural Appropriation", How everything is misogynist (except Muslims and Sharia Law because that's just cultural), "identity politics", etc.

A good example of this is Jane Fonda. Millionaire jetsets around the globe chastising people (like the citizens of Ft. McMurray) for their evil carbon footprint; yet she uses much more in fossil fuel that we ever will PLUS her home of LA is only better than some areas of China for air quality. She's not going to China to speak, she's not doing something in LA - she's picking on people who have no money to make the changes she wants. She's Virtue Signaling, which is a consistant SJW trait.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/185718/Fonda-sounds-off-on-oil
I haven't failed until I quit.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

whatwhat wrote:It's just a way to try and shut someone up you don't agree with. When people can't use logic and maturity to discuss topics they tend to go for insults, like SJW or "snowflake". They try to belittle the other person to devalue what they are saying instead of actually listening and continuing the conversation.

it's a good thing people don't just call people racist or bigot for no valid reason either so they can validate their biased views that are often far more bigoted or racist......for the most part these "triggered" people have earned this new title, for right or wrong.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's a term that attempts to denigrate people for promoting equality among genders, sexual identities, cultures etc. as if it's a bad thing to stand for.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

JLives wrote:It's a term that attempts to denigrate people for promoting equality among genders, sexual identities, cultures etc. as if it's a bad thing to stand for.

But they don't actually do that. They tend denigrate and attack people who won't blindly agree with them. It's become an extremist style that gets some validation by being a bigot and racist to people asking questions about real issues when actually discussing a real issue isn't actually desired, but just yelling at people to get themselves some attention.

Sadly it's something that happens with any sensitive issue, there is always a extreme group that will take over to get themselves attention instead of actually doing something real. It's an image issue, more desire for ones image than the actual image......it earned them a label, much like there are labels for other groups that go over the top ignorantly.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

You're right Queen K, it doesn't really mean anything..it's just used to mock someone the writer/speaker has disdain for.

There's a word that this message board automatically changes to "liberal" that's used the same way (it rhymes with ribcard).

If you're against drunk driving or dogs being left in hot cars, no one calls you a SJW because we all generally feel the same about those things.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'd be more likely to agree with you Veovis if everyone who even sneezes to the left didn't get labelled as a SJW. Nuance is dead.

Yes, there are extremists. Another group I'm a member of is peppered with them. They had a good freakout about dolls in a box being ordered white dolls first. Several hundred replies patting each other on the back. If the term was used for extremists it might mean something but it's now being used as a synonym for leans left. It's not even an insult anymore, it's just lazy terminology.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

JLives wrote:I'd be more likely to agree with you Veovis if everyone who even sneezes to the left didn't get labelled as a SJW. Nuance is dead.

Yes, there are extremists. Another group I'm a member of is peppered with them. They had a good freakout about dolls in a box being ordered white dolls first. Several hundred replies patting each other on the back. If the term was used for extremists it might mean something but it's now being used as a synonym for leans left. It's not even an insult anymore, it's just lazy terminology.

And with anything over used it will lose value and fade away, or the extremist will double down and validate the overuse ruining things that deserve real attention for their own attention.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Veovis wrote:it's a good thing people don't just call people racist or bigot for no valid reason either so they can validate their biased views that are often far more bigoted or racist......for the most part these "triggered" people have earned this new title, for right or wrong.

So two wrongs make a right?? The righties don't like being called racist or bigoted so instead of being mature they decide the make up their own names for the left to get at them??
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Social Concerns”