Cellphones in the classroom...

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Re: Cellphones in the classroom...

Post by JollyGreenBully »

GordonH wrote:^^^ based on what I've gathered today's teachers don't appear to have a backbone to discipline students. To worried that a student(s) will say untrue allegations (not all untrue, since some teachers are guilty), to destroy the teachers career & reputation.

If the teachers are being pansies and allowing unruly behaviour in their classrooms, it's the TEACHERS' fault the classes are a mess - not the technology present in the classroom.

I've been in classes where teachers laid down the law about cell phones and other technology as well as just bad behavior in general. Those who were disruptive were kicked out of class, forced to call their parents and tell them about their behavior, or sent to the principal. Those who used the technology for learning purposes benefited greatly.

Maybe there should be a separate thread about how teachers need to stop being so rigid in old-school methods, actually think outside the box, and think of ways to facilitate various learning styles and current technology in their classes without things getting out of hand. Might be a bit more productive then just saying "hey I hate cell phones so let's just ban them from schools."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ based on what I've gathered today's teachers don't appear to have a backbone to discipline students. To worried that a student(s) will say untrue allegations (not all untrue, since some teachers are guilty), to destroy the teachers career & reputation.

JollyGreenBully wrote:If the teachers are being pansies and allowing unruly behaviour in their classrooms, it's the TEACHERS' fault the classes are a mess - not the technology present in the classroom.

I've been in classes where teachers laid down the law about cell phones and other technology as well as just bad behavior in general. Those who were disruptive were kicked out of class, forced to call their parents and tell them about their behavior, or sent to the principal. Those who used the technology for learning purposes benefited greatly.

Maybe there should be a separate thread about how teachers need to stop being so rigid in old-school methods, actually think outside the box, and think of ways to facilitate various learning styles and current technology in their classes without things getting out of hand. Might be a bit more productive then just saying "hey I hate cell phones so let's just ban them from schools."

Its also a shame students (like many adults) get addicted to texting when they should be paying attention to something else i.e. the teacher in the class room.... or road ahead.

I have no problem with technology being used in the class room (as long as texting & sending/receiving calls are banned, do those on there own time. Not during class time).
Day to day things in classroom using tech is fine, on all tests/examinations only use ones own brain.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Find a kid who does not have a phone and ask them . Even when I was 16 everyone had a phone . Now a days it probably 6 year olds getting their first phone . One kid I remember he was rich. Had a phone at about 12 .. that was in the 90s . With the new found wealth of the mission . I would guess every single kid has a smartphone

Had two kids here yesterday one 14 yr old girl who has a cellphone and a 13 yr old boy who does not have a cellphone.

As suggested, Jflem, I asked them about classroom cellphone use.

They both go to different schools but said in their respective schools cellphone use is not allowed during classroom time.

They both said, most of the kids ignore that rule and sometimes 'sneak' when they think the teacher isn't looking.

Apparently, only dummies forget to put their phone on silent mode and get caught when their phone goes off during class.

In both schools, if that happens the guilty phone gets turned on silent and put on the teachers desk til class ends.

Both students shared a few stories of an offending student having a meltdown in front of the whole class because the

texting conversation/social media exchange was really, really important and they 'just had to answer back' and cried

until the end of class when they were able to get their phone back. In one of the instances the offending student evidently

did the same thing the next day during the same class.

Both visiting kids had some funny stories about friends they have that are 'obsessed' with their cellphone and have them

on all the time even when they are sleeping. Both kids said that was 'stupid cause the phones go off all the time' if

they are connected to Twitter, Snap Chat, Facebook, etc.

I asked what the teachers think and do they require cellphone use for class work.

Both said teachers don't like the cellphones in class but apparently 'they can't make the kids leave them in their lockers'.

Neither kid said that no teacher requires cellphones for class work and both pointed out that, that wouldn't be fair cause

not all kids have a cellphone or if they do they aren't allowed by their parents to bring to school and or take it to class time.

It was great talking to these kids.

BTW...the 13 yr old that doesn't have a cellphone said,

'I think they are dumb and a waste of time...but when I earn the money, I'd like to have one, one day'

:up:
Last edited by Barney Google on May 22nd, 2017, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jflem1983 wrote:Even when I was 16 everyone had a phone

When I was 16 we all had phones as well but if we carried it everywhere we would have needed a really long cord! lol :biggrin:

We survived.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Jflem1983 wrote:Even when I was 16 everyone had a phone

We did too, I was sure mad when it went from a dime to a quarter to make
a call.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:Now that scary, it's good I went to school when teachers actually wanted students to apply themselves.... and use brain matter.

We were talking to my Daughter today and my Grandson who is in grade 5 does not get any homework to do.

When the Teacher was asked why she was told there is no point because the parents do it all! (*bleep*)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Now that scary, it's good I went to school when teachers actually wanted students to apply themselves.... and use brain matter.

Bsuds wrote:We were talking to my Daughter today and my Grandson who is in grade 5 does not get any homework to do.

When the Teacher was asked why she was told there is no point because the parents do it all! (*bleep*)

My parents would only assist if needed (they encourage use to figure it out), oh yes homework first then farm chores..... both needed to be done.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:

Bsuds wrote:We were talking to my Daughter today and my Grandson who is in grade 5 does not get any homework to do.

My parents would only assist if needed (they encourage use to figure it out), oh yes homework first then farm chores..... both needed to be done.

Gordon you come across as such a soft gentle soul . I can't see you doing farm work . Tell me more sir . As for phones in school . When I went to college a few years ago we used laptops a bit . Phones make more sense as everyone has one . Can type just like on a laptop . You tube like a laptop . Wikipedia like a laptop . Teachers gonna have to step up and do their job . Phones are here for a while
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Social Concerns”