Treatment of Foreign Workers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Treatment of Foreign Workers

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/19 ... r-building

I'm going to have a lot to say about this proposal, weighted heavily on the expected treatment of foreign workers. Read it for yourself, it's atrocious.

The fact that a project like this is innovative and needed is NOT the issue. It's the foreign worker angle that is grinding my gears this morning.

A foreign worker is cheaper than the cost of food? Something is wrong with this thinking, as in, hey buddy, slaves were outlawed.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Granny Nanny Project in Vernon

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-197724-2-.htm#197724

Is there anyone else that is a bit disturbed by some of the developers comments and business plan?
Affordable care for seniors is needed for sure, and I may be one in the next decade or 2.

But the proposal as stated by the developer in the story hinges on having low paid TFW's take care of and live in
Quote from story - Large suites will have a den where a live-in caregiver or family could stay.

Goes on to say that they will not be driving cars since they can not afford them and need access to bus transportation.

IMO - the statements boil down to this:
Seniors taken care of by TFW's that will be paid nothing, and given a cot in the "den" and expected to like it.
The phrase "servitude" comes to mind for me.

Your thoughts???
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Re: Granny Nanny Project in Vernon

Post by Ingevan22 »

I agree, disturbing indeed!

The professor states: “It's almost a pilot project for affordability.” Almost, but not quite?

"Parking isn't going to be an issue.” Perhaps they're banking on taking over the city parkade? with 70 units for seniors, presumably not only singles - and parking spaces for 55 vehicles and 15 scooters, where will staff & visitors park? Or will they not be able to afford cars either?

Did I read correctly that the developer claims this "supportive care facility" will only require 4 staff to be on-site at any given time? Seriously???
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. What could better for the 1%ers than business where you can gouge seniors and pay peanuts for the caregivers? It's the free enterprise system in action. Charge plenty, spend the least. It's not about seniors' care, it's about profiteering. But there are so many seniors out there who have no pension from work, nothing saved, and try to get by on OAS and minuscule CPP.

This again recalls a WAC Bennett cabinet minister making the gaffe of thinking that the Bible "says something about how we shouldn't care for our fellow man". Sadly, too many people today claim to have Christian values and attempt to rip off the poorest among us. And somehow can sleep well at night.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

It is a assisted living. The nannies would live in the suite and do cooking, cleaning and some care of seniors. You don't need cleaning, cooking staff etc. You would maybe need a doorman, activities coordinator? It's not a nursing home.
The foreign worker has to be paid minimum wage and gets room and board. So it would actually be cheaper than the nanny renting their own apartment.
If you think minimum wage with room and board is slave labor then that's another argument but it has to be affordable for the senior. If you pay more to the nanny then it's less affordable to the senior. So take your pick. In theory the nanny or senior would not own a car so less parking.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Treatment of Foreign Workers

Post by Barney Google »

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/197724/Granny-nannies-for-building

I'm going to have a lot to say about this proposal, weighted heavily on the expected treatment of foreign workers. Read it for yourself, it's atrocious.

The fact that a project like this is innovative and needed is NOT the issue. It's the foreign worker angle that is grinding my gears this morning.

A foreign worker is cheaper than the cost of food? Something is wrong with this thinking, as in, hey buddy, slaves were outlawed.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I think they are saying it's more cost effective to hire a granny nanny

who can cook and serve meals than it is to provide that service by an outside provider and delivering it everyday.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Also being discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=72847

Mods: Maybe combine the 2 threads into one.....

*Thanks. Threads have been merged.* :)
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

What does a person have to do . To keep tfws out of Canada. This is wrong on so many levels .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Jflem1983 wrote:What does a person have to do . To keep tfws out of Canada. This is wrong on so many levels .

Find Canadians who are willing to fill the jobs that TFWs are being brought in to fill?

TFWs often fill the manpower void in the instance where Canadians are not available, for a number of reason, to fill.

Does the program have its down sides...yes, but has many good sides too.

I know of a number of TWFs who have gone, or are going, through the immigration process.

They came to Canada to work and see what it's like here and now have made, or want to make, our country their home.

They have jobs, they speak our language proficiently enough to function day to day, they have lived in and understand and

have embraced our culture, the contribute to our taxes and frequent our local businesses.

The concept of 'cheap labour' being filled by TFW is a misconstrued one.

In many cases, TFW fill the void in work that Canadians just plain do not want to do.

Before bashing the program to smithereens it would maybe be a good idea to learn how the program works

and what jobs are being filled and the process it involves in gaining permission to bring in TFWs.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Wages would go up . House prices would level . So would rent for renters . Jobs would be stable again. All of this ruined by importing cheap workers . How does having an entire building full of tfws help any of this . Shame on Vernon city council for approving this.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

When I see people buying food from the US, China, Australia, Mexico, etc sold here in Kelowna cheaper than what I can get

from local producers it makes me wonder...are Canadians willing to pay more for food to ensure that Canadians workers get

paid more? Often times, it doesn't appear that they are.

How many local Canadians, given a fair wage, do you know who would work out in the sun all day doing manual labour?

How many local Canadians, given a fair wage, do you know that would be willing to clean up after livestock

and care for them?

Considering TFW cheap labour is an indication that one might not understand the program and what the requirements are.

In many cases, Canadians do not want to or are not willing to fill the jobs TFWs fill.

How many of our Canadian Children are we guiding towards employment careers in the food service industry

or as farm labourers?
- Unknown
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Barney Google wrote:How many of our Canadian Children are we guiding towards employment careers in the food service industry

or as farm labourers?

None, because no one wants to make minimum wage their entire lives, live in poverty, and get yelled at by teenage managers. There's also the fact that the jobs don't provide any sense of accomplishment or bolster self-worth whatsoever.

If these jobs weren't complete jokes and paid decent salaries, there would be tons of people willing to work at them. But why do that when a person could most likely earn the same amount of money per month by collecting cans?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Barney Google wrote:In many cases, Canadians do not want to or are not willing to fill the jobs TFWs fill.

That's what I've heard in the past from people who are involved with TFWs. You can make really good money, but nobody wants to do it. Another good reason for TFWs is flexibility - you can hire somebody for a busy season and let them go at the end of the season. Can't really do it with locals.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
... There's also the fact that the jobs don't provide any sense of accomplishment or bolster self-worth whatsoever. ...

If these jobs weren't complete jokes and paid decent salaries, there would be tons of people willing to work at them. ...

I dunno JGB, I know a lot of folks that work in the food service industry and in agriculture that get a sense of

accomplishment and make them feel good about themselves.

I myself can say that I feel very proud of myself for growing/raising good products and take a great deal of pride in

the care I take in doing so. I also don't consider myself or the job a joke either.

When I do hire help, I make a point of ensuring that they feel the same way and surprisingly I pay a decent salary too!

Sadly, there are very few locals who are willing to work in agriculture and even fewer who have the experience or

even the desire to learn.

I also have close ties in the local food service industry and believe me, taking pride in your job and feeling like

what you do is important is crucial to many local food service employers. If they have grumpy complaining staff

that bleeds into the customer service base and you loose business pretty darned quick.

All of this isn't always true for ALL businesses but I think its far more the norm than the negative take.
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Even Steven wrote:That's what I've heard in the past from people who are involved with TFWs. You can make really good money, but nobody wants to do it. Another good reason for TFWs is flexibility - you can hire somebody for a busy season and let them go at the end of the season. Can't really do it with locals.

When I first moved to the Okanagan 30+ years ago a lot of students from out east or from abroad worked in some of the jobs that are now filled by TFW. The local kids also filled those jobs. I can recall the many stories my locally grown Okanagan friends tell about growing up picking apples and cherries all summer.
For some reason we don't see that anymore and while I have my theory of why, I'm not completely positive on it.

This is veering off topic...as the original post was about "Treatment of Foreign Workers"

While there have been some negative stories of poor treatment, the TFW I know, repeatedly tell me they are
happy to be working here and are treated well by their local employers. Since the treatment of TFW is important to me
I make a point of asking often and if there have been situations where I can help in some way I always offer.
In those instances, which have been few, things are worked out well for everyone involved.
- Unknown

Return to “Social Concerns”