Rental too high

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Rental too high

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:That happened to a friend of mine, she was desparate to get a place and took on with the provisio that she had to move by a certain month, for the Airbnb to start up again from June to Sept.

The issue for the people squatting in the shed may be a bit more complicated or not at all, the question is, what is the solution?

If you write on here, "maybe they should move to a more affordable community" the dogpile you is incredible.

If you write, "tell them to get a job," well, I hope I addressed that from the get go.

If you say, "they should be charged to the fullest extent of the law"? Okay, trespassing carries what sentence? A week?

Where can people go exactly, in this community where they aren't kicked out at 7 am?

Cutting off a lock to gain entry to a building is considered Break and Enter (B&E) and is totally illegal and that was what they were arrested for. Whether you were homeless or not it makes no difference. If you go into a grocery store and steal a rump roast because you are hungry does not diminish the charge that it is shoplifting.
If you do not have a job it makes little sense to move to Kelowna as a homeless person expecting to get one and then cry foul when you don't get one.
Waste not
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're right. B&E carries what sentence in the end? Does it go with "not wanting to freeze to death" as opposed to the B&E at my place which cleaned me out of all kinds of valuables?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

AS harshly as I have spoken out against the huge homeless people problem in Kelowna, my heart does go out for these poor soles. I also feel pity for those that are drug addicts and are no longer capable of making coheirent decisions for themselves anymore.

On the other hand, these people steal, rob, pillage, and have no respect for others that have worked long and hard for what they have paid for with the money that they have saved-up and acquired for themselves to enjoy and benefit from.
I did have a big long speech prepared, about my upbringing and the hard times that both of my parents endured but, have decided to omit those facts, that I know you all have heard before ad nauseum.

Is there a solution to this 1st world problem? I don't know, many others that are far smarter than I am, have tried and all have failed.

Seeking a solution on a forum such as this, has never produced any positive results. Just asking for other people's opinions, accomplishes nothing, in fact it just draws more attention to the fact that: "There is no solution".

The ones that want to succeed, have a better chance of obtaining success. The ones that have chosen the lower path will not. In the end, we all will die and eventually end up in the same place.

The ones that have worked hard and have suffered to obtain their goal of happiness, will still die the same as those that have chosen to die by their own choices and perhaps, with less pain.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:You're right. B&E carries what sentence in the end? Does it go with "not wanting to freeze to death" as opposed to the B&E at my place which cleaned me out of all kinds of valuables?

There are options for homeless people that don't include trespass and and cutting off locks. No judge is going to allow that defence. Also, can you be sure that buddy and buddess did not help themselves to some saleable items from the shed during their stay?
Waste not
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Queen K wrote:That happened to a friend of mine, she was desparate to get a place and took on with the provisio that she had to move by a certain month, for the Airbnb to start up again from June to Sept.

The issue for the people squatting in the shed may be a bit more complicated or not at all, the question is, what is the solution?

If you write on here, "maybe they should move to a more affordable community" the dogpile you is incredible.

If you write, "tell them to get a job," well, I hope I addressed that from the get go.

If you say, "they should be charged to the fullest extent of the law"? Okay, trespassing carries what sentence? A week?

Where can people go exactly, in this community where they aren't kicked out at 7 am?

Queen K you are correct, while I personally don't believe that AirBnB has a large enough impact on housing (in Kelowna at least) I do see it as part of the issue.

That being said, seeing developments like Mission Flats advertise as affordable housing with Studio/Single units starting at 1300 for something a tad bigger than a shoe box (593sq.ft) bugs the hell out of me. Initially I had high hopes for Mission Flats (3 Shoeboxes and a couple of townhouses) as the construction plan very much looked like a low income/affordable housing complex. Yet we see 2 bedroom units with just under 920 sq.ft. (their largest two bedrooms) for around 1520. Alone the 3 Bedroom Townhouses rents for around 1900 at 1450 sq.ft which is a bit better but still costly, not something I would qualify affordable for families.

These prices for most service based employees would consume half if not 2/3's of their income. In reality affordable housing would need to offer sub $1000 rents with 3 bedroom units being no more than 1366 (based on the last cmhc numbers)...

but with our aversion to building up I have the sneaking feeling that we won't see a fix anytime soon.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I met a young man, completing schooling etc, he told me he's excited about his new trailer rental coming up, only $1300/month for a 3 bdrm.

So we rechecked rentals and in the same trailer park there is one for rent: $1500/month.

I'm like :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

dominik wrote:These prices for most service based employees would consume half if not 2/3's of their income. In reality affordable housing would need to offer sub $1000 rents with 3 bedroom units being no more than 1366 (based on the last cmhc numbers)...

That's why they need to have roommates, split a 4 bedroom place for $2000, that's $500 a month each. If ypu are short on friends, check out the room for rent section of the classifieds, lots for under $1000. Feel like you want to move on from that? Find a SO or a better job. Look at TV shows like Friends, they room together to make it work. One doesn't need their own place and if they want one then they need to work harder then others to afford it!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That's okay for single people. I know families who are combining to rent houses tho. I know of at least two and if they're doing it, so are others out there.

It's hell when one family has a philosphy to raise respectful kids and the other has one to "not make the kids not like me." Guess what happens then. Chaos. For everyone.

Every day I'm glad I bought when I did.

Return to “Social Concerns”