Tourist Mistreating

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Tourist Mistreating

Post by TylerM4 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... istreating

Am I missing something here?
- When did a towing company become responsible for the tourist experience and tourist economy?
- What about the rights of the business and employees who want to go home to their families?
- Tourists should get special treatment?

Instead of writing letters of complaint why not take responsibility and accept the consequences?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Tourist Mistreating

Post by kgcayenne »

People are the problem. People insist they're entitled to park wherever they want to park. It's not just tourists, either. When I was a teenager, I was towed in Penticton because I was too daft and distracted by hanging out with my giggly-girl friends to READ THE SIGNS. I didn't whine and complain, I got directions and walked my capable tush in hot summer to the tow yard and paid to get my friggin car back. (okay, maybe I complained a bit, but I didn't paint it to be anyone else's problem/fault, but mine)

It is actually a headache to have parking space downtown.

Ohhhh mannnnnn chasing people out of the private parking lot we have interferes with a manager's actual job. Signs? What signs? Nobody reads flekin signs!

"Ohhhh, I'll only be here for a few minutes." walks away

"Ohhh I didn't knowwwwww this was private parking." walks away

"I have a parking pass for lots downtown; I'm late for work already" walks away (yeah, CITY lots, not private businesses)

The manager even had a uniform service company say: "Nothing you can do to stop us, we have a City permit to park in the alley." Is privately owned property somehow suddenly fair game because it's off the back alley?

READ THE SIGNS YOU COTTON-HEADED NINNYMUGGINS
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm a tourist and I can park/drive/do whatever/whenever/wherever I want!

I'm Special...
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

maybe the guy just made a mistake and parked there in error - it can be sometimes be a tad confusing in a new city

the impound lot could have been nicer and i'm sure a fine would have sufficed instead of a tow, not that it would be paid in AB but come on - give the guy a break.

everyone on here is perfect?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I can remember being a single parent, where if some last-minute thing occurred at work, I was on the hook for about a $40 surcharge if I was late for picking my child up at daycare. That's why I got out of customer servitude.

We never know what the circumstances are of the people with whose lives we're expecting to subsidize our incompetence mistakes.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

gman313 wrote:maybe the guy just made a mistake and parked there in error - it can be sometimes be a tad confusing in a new city

the impound lot could have been nicer and i'm sure a fine would have sufficed instead of a tow, not that it would be paid in AB but come on - give the guy a break.

I'm confident it was indeed a mistake. The point is that the letter writer wants to blame others for the cost and inconvenience associated with making that mistake. Tow yard was closed, they wouldn't stay open late for him. That's "consequences of making a mistake" not "We should treat tourists better".
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

TylerM4 wrote:
gman313 wrote:maybe the guy just made a mistake and parked there in error - it can be sometimes be a tad confusing in a new city

I'm confident it was indeed a mistake. The point is that the letter writer wants to blame others for the cost and inconvenience associated with making that mistake. Tow yard was closed, they wouldn't stay open late for him. That's "consequences of making a mistake" not "We should treat tourists better".

Couldn't agree a more. Were they inconvenienced, yes...but I bet he will park better next time. The tow company just did what they were instructed to do. As mentioned they have lives also. Actions have consequences...

Return to “Social Concerns”