#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: #MeToo

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Symbonite wrote:https://breaking.americanewshub.com/2017/12/08/breaking-roy-moores-accuser-admits-forged-yearbook-just-days-al-election-video/?utm_source=abw&utm_medium=facebook

I know that this website probably has their own agenda but it shows that if someone doesnt like you they make false claims and tanks a persons career without its day in court.

Like i said..its like the story the boy who cried wolf....say it too many times without the actual proof then people will disregard it as verbal clickbait

The headline is not in the least accurate. She does not say she forged the yearbook comment, which was signed by Roy Moore and obviously written by him. She there fore does have proof that he knew her well enough to write a comment in her year book where as he claimed he never knew her, at all. She does not say this is evidence of his abuse, only that he knew her well enough at about the same time (Christmas of 77), and therefore is lying if he says he didn't know her at all. She does state that she added the printed date, and notation, to remind herself when this yearbook was commented in and signed, and where she knew him from.Is Roy Moore denying he wrote the comment in his yearbook or is it just those trying to spin this into what it is not.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

liisgo wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/12/04/liberal-sherry-romanado-says-tory-mp-james-bezan-made-humiliating-sexual-remarks-to-her-last-may_a_23296802/

She says, "'Humiliating' Remarks and unwanted comments to me that were sexual in nature" "These comments have caused me great stress and have negatively affected my work environment."
He said, 'this isn't my idea of a threesome,' which was intended as a partisan comment about being in a photo with a Liberal member of caucus," Bezan said in the statement.

Of all the women who have come forward with their stories of sexual harassment throughout the US and Canada over the past couple of months, this story about Sherry Romanado and James Bezan, is the first one I've had some reservations about. And I'm not the only one -- here are two respected woman Canadian journalists with some thoughts about it...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/james-bezan-joke-1.4433899

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-tearful-liberal-mp-should-accept-james-bezans-fifth-apology-and-move-on

It almost feels like Romanado is trying to make some 'political hay' -- her antics are just a bit more that you'd expect from an insignificant but really, really stupid off-colour remark from a really, really stupid Bezan.

Then today, I see a post in Castanet, showing that Romanado is a hypocrite of the highest order -- an inconsiderate, boorish, bigot. After reading her incredibly cruel facebook posts in 2009, I have zero compassion or respect for her. I wonder if her tears -- spilled copiously in the House of Commons while standing and telling Canada what a monster Mr. Bezan is -- have the taint of a crocodile?

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/liberal-mp-mocked-obese-never-got-apology/
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Regarding Masterson (mentioned above) being "written out" of future episodes of a program. If that is some violation of his contract, he has every legal recourse of the courts. People get written out of series all the time, they don't always like the reasons, there doesn't have to be criminal allegations of rape. In this case there happens to be four women who allege rape, as is their right. If he wants to sue for libel against them, I think he should have at it. In the meantime, he is entitled to a presumption of innocence in a court of law, if charged, which apparently he has not been. But then if he wants to exercise his legal rights, and feels that includes protection of his job, he will also have to follow legal procedure. He certainly can allege that he was "written out" unlawfully, but only a court can decide the merits of that claim.

What he really has to decide is what, if he decides to push the issue, will come out in court. He has a contract that likely states that if he does stupid stuff like what he is accused of, contract is void. That is standard fare
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Another one bites the dust.

NEW YORK - A second actress has come forward to accuse Dustin Hoffman of allegations of sexual harassment, calling the Oscar-winner's conduct "a horrific, demoralizing and abusive experience"
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Weinsteins accusers seem pretty legit , therefore i find his actions horrible . But i cant help but think sme social climbers will be a”me too “ if they never sealed the deal with the big fish. A fling perhaps while being married but never came to fruition. Soon as the big fish is spooked or feelng trapped , its end transmission . These days all you could do is quit or fire someone before too much bad press . For some i think me too is class action money. And yes there are sickos like weinstein .
Strong and free
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I think if you were needing to make a claim of sexual assault (presuming you know the offender),without witnesses, you would have to get them on tape saying something incriminating. Otherwise (unless you have broken limbs or beaten beyond recognition),it's going to be he said , she said.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I think if you were needing to make a claim of sexual assault (presuming you know the offender),without witnesses, you would have to get them on tape saying something incriminating. Otherwise (unless you have broken limbs or beaten beyond recognition),it's going to be he said , she said.

Apparently just the act of looking at someone is enough to get you into trouble and if that is not enough a comment can get you in a lot more trouble.

As a result I do not comment on how great a woman looks, only my wife.
I think it is rather pathetic that it has come to this, particularly when there are so many worse things that a man can do.

I have been the subject of suggestive comments by women. I have had my butt squeezed. I simply never react, ever.
Call me paranoid, I just hate to be in a position where my personal life could be under the microscope.

I have seen few if any complaints by men about women sexually harassing them but it happens.
The exception being when female teacher in her 30's has an affair with a 12 year old boy.
Waste not
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Silverstarqueen wrote:I think if you were needing to make a claim of sexual assault (presuming you know the offender),without witnesses, you would have to get them on tape saying something incriminating. Otherwise (unless you have broken limbs or beaten beyond recognition),it's going to be he said , she said.

Grandan wrote:Apparently just the act of looking at someone is enough to get you into trouble and if that is not enough a comment can get you in a lot more trouble.

As a result I do not comment on how great a woman looks, only my wife.
I think it is rather pathetic that it has come to this, particularly when there are so many worse things that a man can do.

I have been the subject of suggestive comments by women. I have had my butt squeezed. I simply never react, ever.
Call me paranoid, I just hate to be in a position where my personal life could be under the microscope.

I have seen few if any complaints by men about women sexually harassing them but it happens.
The exception being when female teacher in her 30's has an affair with a 12 year old boy.

Do you have even one example where a person was charged (let alone convicted) of sexual assault for "just the act of looking at someone" or making a comment about how great a woman looks?
I would bet it would be rare to find a woman that has not been sexually touched inappropriately at least a few times in her life. I don't see why it would be any different for men. Either way these are almost never reported.
Yes, we all agree there are women who squeeze butts and even some who assault minors.
Unfortunately most sexual offenders will never be brought to justice.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Do you have even one example where a person was charged (let alone convicted) of sexual assault for "just the act of looking at someone" or making a comment about how great a woman looks?
I would bet it would be rare to find a woman that has not been sexually touched inappropriately at least a few times in her life. I don't see why it would be any different for men. Either way these are almost never reported.
Yes, we all agree there are women who squeeze butts and even some who assault minors.
Unfortunately most sexual offenders will never be brought to justice.

I did not say anything about charges or convictions, I wrote "trouble". Most men know what that means.
Waste not
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Unfortunately comments like " can't even look at a woman" means some men really don't understand. :(
No woman is saying avert your eyes swine, we are saying stop the inappropriate behaviour
I'm old as dirt, know no woman who has ever grabbed a strange man's behind. Not saying it doesn't happen however hard pressed to find a woman who hasn't experienced unwanted touching. Object and you get called names.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

normaM wrote:Unfortunately comments like " can't even look at a woman" means some men really don't understand. :(
No woman is saying avert your eyes swine, we are saying stop the inappropriate behaviour
I'm old as dirt, know no woman who has ever grabbed a strange man's behind. Not saying it doesn't happen however hard pressed to find a woman who hasn't experienced unwanted touching. Object and you get called names.

You sound so bitter, I'm sorry your life experience has been so difficult.
It is unfortunate that too many men have cast such a broad shadow on all other men.
As for strange, that could be taken more than one way, strange as in weird or strange as in stranger.
I was not a stranger in the case cited and agree that not everyone would know some someone like that.
Oddly some cultures do not have the same taboos that exist in our local area.
Waste not
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

not bitter at all Dumpling..
and I agree, so it is good some men are speaking out :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I don't see it as some men casting a shadow on other men. There are a select number of people who are harassing or assaulting others, some from the time they are in their teens, others when they get into positions of power and can take advantage of that. This does not reflect on anyone else but themselves. Not on their victim, not on their coworkers, not on other members of their sex. Now, some get assistance or at least no interference from those around them, and that does reflect on those colleagues. But I don't see that behavior reflecting on anyone other than the perpetrators, and those in positions of power who allow them to carry on with their vile behavior.

And just because some other culture (such as Blackmores "religion") condones or allows some behavior, such as raping young girls, or forcing them into marriage, does not make it right. And it doesn't excuse those who do it in our own society.

Return to “Social Concerns”