#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: #MeToo

Postby dirtybiker » Feb 23rd, 2018, 10:15 am

MAPearce wrote:
You're confused .... It doesn't work that way .

You catch on quick !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2839 posts

Postby Leifer » Feb 23rd, 2018, 11:36 am

Funny story (well maybe not so funny) on how I think men are reacting to this "MeToo" movement.

I am in the market for a new vehicle at the moment.
Stopped into a local dealership and was "assigned" a younger female sales associate.
No big deal right?
She did a good enough job explaining the different vehicle options and we eventually took a vehicle out for a test drive.

One of my colleagues was out and about and noticed me in a different vehicle with some women (other than my wife). I received some ribbing the next day and somewhat of a wake up call. He mentioned that one wrong word from this young women and I could be in the news being "drawn and quartered" on social media.

It never occurred to me that something like that could happen....but he did have a point.
Next time I will request a male sales associate I guess....
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 848 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:32 pm

MAPearce wrote:
You say merit, then you talk "numbers" and "statistics". So why base the choices on numbers? That's not merit based. These men (I noticed you don't seem to be contesting the male choices) AND women were chosen for a reason, by their constituents, and by the highest ranking elected rep, the PM, on the advice I'm sure of his aides as well. This is the system our country endorses. No where does it say each choice has to be the best in your opinion, or my opinion. If you want different choices, vote someone else in, vote a different PM in, run for Prime Minister and make your own choices, vote for a different system that you like better.

zoo wrote:You're confused .... It doesn't work that way .

Yes very confused.

Not about gender, its about the numbers, the very well acknowledged drive to have certain representations met and an obvious outcome of that. Men, women, race, what ever, when the numbers show that it was deliberately done to meet that representation then its very apparent that it was not 100% based on the best for the jobs.
They wanted a 50/50 gender role in that cabinet. If only only man OR women was applying they would have got a position.
Just that simple.
Denial is very strong for some.

You don't agree with the method of choosing. You weren't elected to choose. The PM was elected to choose his cabinet, from elected members of parliament. This is the democratic process. Some people would like electoral reform, there is certainly a place for that. This is the system we have now, it seems to be working just fine according to many Canadians. Anyone doesn't like it gets to vote again in a couple of years.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1973 posts

Postby Gilchy » Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:39 pm

Leifer wrote:Funny story (well maybe not so funny) on how I think men are reacting to this "MeToo" movement.

Stopped into a local dealership and was "assigned" a younger female sales associate.
No big deal right?
She did a good enough job explaining the different vehicle options and we eventually took a vehicle out for a test drive.

One of my colleagues was out and about and noticed me in a different vehicle with some women (other than my wife). I received some ribbing the next day and somewhat of a wake up call. He mentioned that one wrong word from this young women and I could be in the news being "drawn and quartered" on social media.

It never occurred to me that something like that could happen....but he did have a point.

For all the talk over "false accusations", they are extremely rare. There seems to an attitude out there where "it's better to be safe than sorry", where men are claiming they won't hire/be alone with/use as a car salesperson a woman for fear of being accused wrongly of something. This effectively continues to punish women, eliminating them from contention for a job, or from selling you a car...

To everyone (not just guys): don't be a creep, and you won't have people complaining about your behaviour.

normaM likes this post.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 516 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:55 pm

Leifer wrote:Funny story (well maybe not so funny) on how I think men are reacting to this "MeToo" movement.

No big deal right?

Do you think women, your wife, should be concerned about doing a test drive with male car salesmen? Millions of women have somehow bitten the bullet and managed to come out unscathed, most car sellers have been male. But now that there are a few female sales people, the men are going to be extra cautious. Yeah seems like a great idea to some.

normaM likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Leifer » Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:57 pm

There seems to an attitude out there where "it's better to be safe than sorry",

Absolutely.
I have a career, family, and reputation to consider. It is not fair....but there is simply too much at risk.

I was raised by a real gentleman who espoused treating women with respect and dignity. Open doors, give up your seat, carry the bags, and put them on a pedestal.
Not really very modern....and certainly not treating women as equals.
Last edited by Leifer on Feb 23rd, 2018, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2)

KiloHotel likes this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Postby Leifer » Feb 23rd, 2018, 1:03 pm

Do you think women, your wife, should be concerned about doing a test drive with male car salesmen?

Depends on the car salesmen. She would use her judgment (based on their initial interactions) and decide if she was getting in the car with the fellow.

But now that there are a few female sales people, the men are going to be extra cautious. Yeah seems like a great idea to some.

Agreed.
Better to be safe than sorry.

2)

3 people like this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Postby Jack DeBear » Feb 23rd, 2018, 5:02 pm

“Why Handmaid’s Tale author Margaret Atwood is facing #MeToo backlash”

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/1/17/1 ... ccountable

Link to her comeback in the Globe and Mail that I posted elsewhere here.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=58542&start=1860#p2314445
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 195 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm

IF a female professor had an intimate relationship with on of her students it would be wrong. I think that is standard in most any university. It is a serious breach of ethics and morality. I think most here would agree she should be fired.
So it happened in this case to a male professor. and he was fired. Rightly so. If Atwood wants to defend him (because he is a friend), then she is going to have to put up with some flak.

Bigjohn69 likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 23rd, 2018, 6:29 pm

http://theprovince.com/news/world/five- ... e=Facebook

Here is a case of a male using others for sexual gratifaction .the others happen to be male
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Liked in: 135 posts

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 23rd, 2018, 6:39 pm

A New York police officer accused of having sex with a 15-year-old girl and her adult sister reportedly stockpiled videos, photos and a list of women he has bedded, a court heard Wednesday.

http://theprovince.com/news/world/new-y ... e=Facebook
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Postby Jack DeBear » Feb 24th, 2018, 6:51 am

I’m sorry, I made a finger error and posted the wrong link (above), which I’m still okay about.

But here’s the ‘Canadian’ version of the story

“Margaret Atwood faces backlash for #MeToo op-ed”

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/at ... -1.4486936

Margaret Atwood is facing backlash online after writing a controversial opinion piece published in the Globe and Mail Saturday about the potential downside of the #MeToo movement.

In it, she also called for more transparency in the case of Steven Galloway, a former University of British Columbia professor who was fired in 2016.

The revered Canadian author of the The Handmaid's Tale, who titled the essay Am I A Bad Feminist?, is being criticized by some for expressing reservations about the direction of #MeToo — she points out the historical dangers of "guilty because accused" in which "the usual rules of evidence are bypassed."

"Such things are always done in the name of ushering in a better world," she writes. "Sometimes they do usher one in, for a time anyway. Sometimes they are used as an excuse for new forms of oppression."

Atwood, 78, notes the success of the movement, but says it "is a symptom of a broken legal system" which, if not addressed, can result in new power struggles that divide women against one another.

"In times of extremes, extremists win," she writes. "Their ideology becomes a religion, anyone who doesn't puppet their views is seen as an apostate, a heretic or a traitor, and moderates in the middle are annihilated."

<snip>

(but please read the rest.)

And again, this is a link to her comeback in the Globe and Mail that I posted elsewhere here.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=58542&start=1860#p2314445

2 people like this post.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Liked in: 195 posts

Postby foodsmith » Feb 24th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Leifer wrote:
There seems to an attitude out there where "it's better to be safe than sorry",

Absolutely.
I have a career, family, and reputation to consider. It is not fair....but there is simply too much at risk.

I was raised by a real gentleman who espoused treating women with respect and dignity. Open doors, give up your seat, carry the bags, and put them on a pedestal.
Not really very modern....and certainly not treating women as equals.

Look, these acts of service like opening a door for someone are as modern now as they were the day the door was invented.

Treating people as equals has nothing to do with having enough consideration to do things for them -- it's understanding that being a gentleman means acknowledging that pretty much everyone can do them just as easily as you... Be you Man, Woman, Neither, or Both.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Liked in: 285 posts

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 26th, 2018, 5:56 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43202797

Heather locklear held on domestic battery charges against her partner
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Postby Silverstarqueen » Feb 26th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Patrick Brown quits (again) after "clearing his name", and supposedly being in the lead in the fight to lead the party. Surely someone who planned to lead a Political party to victory would be a tad more consistent in tackling political storms. It seems he would rather continue to tussle with CTV. Good luck with that. I hope he gets his day in court.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns