PM sent pictures of hundreds of OD victims....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dle
Lord of the Board

PM sent pictures of hundreds of OD victims....

Post by dle »

There is a solution staring us in the face, shaking us by the shoulders, kicking us in the butt, but the ones who have the power to put in into place just stick their fingers in their ears, or heads in the sand when it is suggested. While it won't solve the entire opioid drug problem, the government CAN stop hundreds of people from becoming addicts with one simple move: take away doctors' permission to prescribe opioid meds for any use outside of a hospital in a controlled setting.

A doctor prescribed Oxycontin for one week for my 74 year old uncle after hip replacement surgery - that's all it took to get him wired - one week. Once the pills were gone he was a basket case til his body was able to detox and he regained his mind. 74 years old! Had no clue what was happening to him - couldn't comprehend that he was actually addicted! He said his trusted family doctor prescribed the drugs - his doctor wouldn't give him something that would hurt him. Would he?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#211836
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: PM sent pictures of hundreds of OD victims....

Post by TreeGuy »

I ended up in the hospital after shattering my C5 vertebrae and OxyContin was the doctors drug of choice for managing my pain. With all that I have heard about this drug in the media I opted not to take the OxyContin unless I was in real pain. Otherwise they would have given it to me on a regular basis, I wasn’t willing to take a chance.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

TreeGuy wrote:I ended up in the hospital after shattering my C5 vertebrae and OxyContin was the doctors drug of choice for managing my pain. With all that I have heard about this drug in the media I opted not to take the OxyContin unless I was in real pain. Otherwise they would have given it to me on a regular basis, I wasn’t willing to take a chance.

Might be the best decision you'll ever make.....I think that's what we all have to do if there is a pain med being prescribed to us. Ask if it is an opioid - if it is, say no thanks, and take something else. Watch out for ourselves....
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

TreeGuy wrote:I ended up in the hospital after shattering my C5 vertebrae and OxyContin was the doctors drug of choice for managing my pain. With all that I have heard about this drug in the media I opted not to take the OxyContin unless I was in real pain. Otherwise they would have given it to me on a regular basis, I wasn’t willing to take a chance.

People have to start telling Doctors to stick that opioid pain killer were sun does not shine.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

There must be situations where an opiod prescription is needed due to extreme pain.
I'm not sure but is it not possible to slowly wean people off of opiod's like you
would with something like prednisone. The patient would need follow up and
the success of being weaned off the drugs monitored by the Dr.
I would think this could be done unless that's not possible with an opiod.(???)
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

As with all drugs they can be useful. I busted my ankle up bad awhile back and took a few hundred of them over the course of 2 surgeries and 5 months of casting. It was extremely painful. But I am not predisposed to opioid addiction and had several pills leftover when I no longer needed them. They do have a purpose.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Lore wrote:There must be situations where an opiod prescription is needed due to extreme pain.

Several years ago, I went to the ER with extreme stomach and lower back pain -- I'm talking about 'wishing I was dead' pain. Turned out to be my first (of several...) encounters with kidney stones. Once the Doc had satisfied himself that it was real and I wasn't a junkie putting on an act to get a free fix, he gave me a shot of morphine -- the first of my life.

Suddenly that ER ward was the most wonderful, beautiful place in the world, and the room was filled with golden light, and life was sublime. I went to sleep and when I awoke a half-hour later, the pain was gone (the stone having lodged in the ureter).

In the weeks that followed, I was struck with two things; first, that morphine is truly a wonder drug when it comes to extreme pain. I can understand why it is/was used so extensively on the battlefield. And second, it would so easy to get hooked on that stuff -- the rapture it provides would quickly become irresistible. People should never be prescribed this stuff, for day-to-day pain relief.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

OldIslander wrote:
Lore wrote:There must be situations where an opiod prescription is needed due to extreme pain.

Several years ago, I went to the ER with extreme stomach and lower back pain -- I'm talking about 'wishing I was dead' pain. Turned out to be my first (of several...) encounters with kidney stones. Once the Doc had satisfied himself that it was real and I wasn't a junkie putting on an act to get a free fix, he gave me a shot of morphine -- the first of my life.

Suddenly that ER ward was the most wonderful, beautiful place in the world, and the room was filled with golden light, and life was sublime. I went to sleep and when I awoke a half-hour later, the pain was gone (the stone having lodged in the ureter).

In the weeks that followed, I was struck with two things; first, that morphine is truly a wonder drug when it comes to extreme pain. I can understand why it is/was used so extensively on the battlefield. And second, it would so easy to get hooked on that stuff -- the rapture it provides would quickly become irresistible. People should never be prescribed this stuff, for day-to-day pain relief.

I had the same experience. Kidney stone with excruciating pain. They shot me up with morphine and it so good. When they sent me home they gave me some sort of pills that I never took because the pain was gone the next day. Never craved morphine after that but I hope the next time I'm in that much pain there's some available.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I'm not sure but is it not possible to slowly wean people off of opiod's like you
would with something like prednisone. The patient would need follow up and
the success of being weaned off the drugs monitored by the Dr.
I would think this could be done unless that's not possible with an opiod.(???)

Sure you can wean people off opiods. The only problem is cost, they would need weeks of hospital care, if they were willing, so they can't get access to the drugs while suffering withdrawal. Then you send them on their way, and within short order they will have a need for the drug still, and will likely break down and buy it to relieve their suffering.
If it was readily doable to wean off on their own, people would be doing it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

JLives wrote:As with all drugs they can be useful. I busted my ankle up bad awhile back and took a few hundred of them over the course of 2 surgeries and 5 months of casting. It was extremely painful. But I am not predisposed to opioid addiction and had several pills leftover when I no longer needed them. They do have a purpose.

Good for you JLives.
Now take a look at North America wide how many die every day due to drug addiction or are giving naloxone (just to turn around & do it again). Which all pretty well started by an opioid given to a patient in pain.
Something needs to change, I for one is the type if you play with fire you will get burnt. Our medical system (Canadian medical system) is going to get overwhelmed, if it's not already.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

OldIslander wrote:

OldIslander, both you and techrtr wrote about your experiences of being in excruciating pain in the hospital and being given morphine. It was a godsend to you both at the time and was given in exactly the correct (probably minimum) dosage, for the best medical reason, and in the controlled environment of the hospital. I agree that was the best thing for you both at the time and I don't want anyone to think I am of the mind that the opioids should be banned from use. Yes, there are definitely instances where it is the best thing - in hospital - not home use. You didn't need a second or third dosage which I think is a very good thing and for that reason you weren't sent home with a prescription. Glad you are both okay. :up:
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Sure you can wean people off opiods. The only problem is cost, they would need weeks of hospital care, if they were willing, so they can't get access to the drugs while suffering withdrawal. Then you send them on their way, and within short order they will have a need for the drug still, and will likely break down and buy it to relieve their suffering.
If it was readily doable to wean off on their own, people would be doing it.

Guess I'm missing something here.
Their in the hospital and then weaned off the drugs both physically and mentally and are then sent on their way.
Why would they have need for the drug as you have suggested when they are weaned off of it?
What I am suggesting is being weaned off of it slowly so that withdrawal symptoms are minimal.
Never having been on these drugs I don't know if its a possibility.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

We should send " Selfie Boy" pictures of dead Canadians killed by " Canadian" Jihadists.......

before it's too late.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

GordonH wrote:People have to start telling Doctors to stick that opioid pain killer were sun does not shine.

Well you could but they administer it that way sometimes...
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Lore wrote:Guess I'm missing something here.
Their in the hospital and then weaned off the drugs both physically and mentally and are then sent on their way.
Why would they have need for the drug as you have suggested when they are weaned off of it?
What I am suggesting is being weaned off of it slowly so that withdrawal symptoms are minimal.
Never having been on these drugs I don't know if its a possibility.

I haven't been on them either but here is how one person describes getting off them:

"One of the hardest opiate withdrawal symptoms to deal with is lack of energy, or better said, EXTREME FATIGUE. Whether you’re in the acute or post-acute opiate withdrawal phase, getting energy can feel impossible.
Many people have suffered from this debilitating shortage of energy for days, weeks, and even months after stopping the use of opiates. I’ve also experienced this feeling.
During the acute opiate withdrawal phase I remember laying on the couch for days, and I was barely able to get up and go to the bathroom.
Then for weeks afterwards I was still very tired and sore. I just couldn’t get motivated or energized to do anything!"

So withdrawal symptoms, from the sounds of it, are never minimal.

Return to “Social Concerns”