Homlessness Happens

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Homlessness Happens

Post by TylerM4 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... ss-happens

I do feel bad for these folks.

However, I also wish they'd accept some responsibility for the situation they are in. Husband is 67 years old, worked as an electrician, and has apparently worked hard for 51 years. Yet just entered retirement age and they can't pay the utility bills.

They'd get a lot further if they'd accept that this is mostly their fault and it's not the responsibility of society/taxpayers to pay for their poor life decisions. Saying "I screwed up and now I need some help" will get you a lot further than "None of this is my fault" when a large portion of it clearly is.

It's called planning for retirement and *just* about everyone does it. If you don't - good chance you'll end up like them.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Homlessness Happens

Post by TreeGuy »

I’m not sure the point of her letter. 5 days ago it was in the news that her hydro was paid by an ‘Angel’. Why’s doesn’t she include this information in her letter?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/212017/Angel-comes-to-rescue

From her letter “I took care of 5 of my grandchildren. I’ve volunteered because I don’t have the education or skills to do anything else. ”

But check out her Facebook page and you will see she is a Certified dog trainer.

More and more people are turning to society with their sad stories hoping to pull heart strings. No more needing to pull yourself up by the bootstraps.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

The letter generates little to no sympathy from me. As noted above, it reeks of "poor me" while giving little thought to prior life other than not having retirement benefits from being a hooker.

We are also coming up to the season where the Christmas tales of woe are going to be pouring out to solicit donations. Yes, I realize it is a Grinchy attitude but reading stories of a family that has a huge litter of kids and two parents who are capable of working but don’t, really doesn’t do it for me in the "better to give" department......since they definitely have the attitude that it is "better to receive".

Sorry for the Bah Humbug. :135:
You and 71 others Like this post
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

If the husband is 67 years old he was eligible for CPP and OAS for 2 years. If he continued to work past 65 he can still contribute to the CPP and get post-retirement benefits added to his cheque on a yearly basis.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
2x4eyes

Post by 2x4eyes »

Homelessness does happen for a variety of reasons but I find it in poor taste to condemn any individuals who are in this position for any reason.

Not one person in this world is 'perfect' and everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity despite anything some might not agree with :biggrin:
- Whatever happened to compassion and empathy? Might have taken a turn similar to that of common sense :biggrin:

The sad reality is that with the cost of living being so high and wages being low (in many instances) many find it difficult to even make ends meet let alone save for the future. The opportunity to save for retirement obviously increases when the individual(s) attends post secondary and can make more money but many on disability or assistance don't/won't qualify for enough financial help to do so.

Speaking from experience, if you're on disability or social assistance, you usually have no money left over for a savings account of any kind. You're only allowed to make a certain amount each year (called the Annual Earnings Exemption or AEE) and after you reach that limit, you are expected to pay back dollar for dollar - never getting ahead or being able to save. Going back to school to get a better job so you can get off or out of the system is virtually impossible particularly as you age. In some cases, CPP and the like are/can be 'clawed back' if even received at all. If you are a spouse of an individual with disabilities, there is nothing there to support you going to school/work and often any such expenses are out of your own pocket...

Yes indeed there are some who abuse the system, but I urge individuals to try to get all of the facts before they paint everyone with the same brush....
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

LANDM wrote:The letter generates little to no sympathy from me. As noted above, it reeks of "poor me" while giving little thought to prior life other than not having retirement benefits from being a hooker.

We are also coming up to the season where the Christmas tales of woe are going to be pouring out to solicit donations. Yes, I realize it is a Grinchy attitude but reading stories of a family that has a huge litter of kids and two parents who are capable of working but don’t, really doesn’t do it for me in the "better to give" department......since they definitely have the attitude that it is "better to receive".

Sorry for the Bah Humbug. :135:

Couldn't agree more...once again it is always someone else's problem/fault. 51 years as a tradesman and they have nothing? That I don't get. Not saying they should be rolling in dough but should be able to afford the necessities of life. Not sure what disability pays, but It should have helpep, Along with CPP and OAP......instead its no one cares, welfare doesn't pay enough, power company has no compassion, blah, blah blah.
What did they spend every penny they earned on??
2x4eyes

Post by 2x4eyes »

hmmm...What do you spend every penny on?

We spend every penny we get from disability on shelter, bills, and a little food. I also pay for food, clothes/shoes, and cable/Internet (our one luxury since we don't go anywhere) out of my work cheques.

Don't get me wrong - I don't support the ones who abuse system or feel they are owed/shouldn't have to work or the ones who have kids because they just want to sit on welfare the rest of their lives. (I know a few of these including two of our neighbors). BUT every situation is different and to lump everyone into one group and suggesting/inferring they are undeserving of any financial help is beyond comprehension...
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

totally agree Giggly..can't and shouldn't lump everyone in the same group...

BUT geez...a "lady of the evening" complaining about not getting enough from social services ??? did SHE ever pay tax on her income ?? nope..where do social services funds come from ?? taxes..she's most likely getting more from the government than she ever gave..

as for her husband being 67 yrs old and not on CPP and OAS by now can only mean one thing..he didn't file nor pay income tax..don't file your taxes, you don't get to collect CPP

I truly don't get how someone could complain about the system when they did little to contribute to it...seems very entitled to me...
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

She sounds like a kind person, but also very entitled. An admitted "lady of the night", well, she did not pay into cpp etc, taxes etc, but now wants every one to support her. Also, being First Nations there is money coming in from that as well I would imagine. More to this saga than the snippet she wrote. Sounds like between the two of them they made way more than I ever have, same age, its called don't spend every thing you make.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I think we're in the early stages of what may sadly become a huge problem within a few years. Too many people are struggling to live paycheck to paycheck with not enough left over to invest in their golden years. Making matters worse, instead of a nestegg, more and more are still finding themselves loaded down with debt after paying for kids school or financial mismanagement. It's long overdue but managing a home's finances and planning for retirement should be taught in public school.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

First Nations? did I miss reading something?
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

cubafreak wrote:First Nations? did I miss reading something?

She was on the news a few days ago and is first nations.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

can her band not help her out ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

the truth wrote:can her band not help her out ?

You mean us taxpayers, don't you? [icon_lol2.gif]
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

giggly1 wrote:hmmm...What do you spend every penny on?

We spend every penny we get from disability on shelter, bills, and a little food. I also pay for food, clothes/shoes, and cable/Internet (our one luxury since we don't go anywhere) out of my work cheques.

Don't get me wrong - I don't support the ones who abuse system or feel they are owed/shouldn't have to work or the ones who have kids because they just want to sit on welfare the rest of their lives. (I know a few of these including two of our neighbors). BUT every situation is different and to lump everyone into one group and suggesting/inferring they are undeserving of any financial help is beyond comprehension...

I know where every penny goes.....I guess that's the difference between them and me.... nice try though. :130:

Return to “Social Concerns”