Dangerous Jobs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: Dangerous Jobs

Post by sobrohusfat »

target practice.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

When there is a dump of snow in Kelowna, morning or evening, there are still hundreds of home support workers driving through all conditions to get to their clients.

We all take a degree of risk. And yes, some have gone down embankments, or tried hiking up snow/ice driveways to get to the front door. I did this once, their drive way was so icy, so I parked and hiked up. Their loose dogs attacked me.

Yup. No danger in what I do either.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

My job is pretty dangerous too. Papercuts hurt like nobodies' business.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

oldtrucker wrote:
Queen K wrote:When there is a dump of snow in Kelowna, morning or evening, there are still hundreds of home support workers driving through all conditions to get to their clients.

We all take a degree of risk. And yes, some have gone down embankments, or tried hiking up snow/ice driveways to get to the front door. I did this once, their drive way was so icy, so I parked and hiked up. Their loose dogs attacked me.

Yup. No danger in what I do either.

Trade you for 1 day.

You gunna teach me how to drive a rig? :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

As a Paramedic I was blessed with going to the wrecks up the connector in the worst blizzards.
I also played slip and slide on icy driveways and steps.
I was bitten by a few dogs, and several people.
Ah, the good old days.
Black Dogs Matter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And expected to pick up people as, no pun intended, dead weight, under cramped conditions in all sorts of different rooms in the house. And get them out down those same stairs. I get it.

Last year I was out at Swick, doing the side ways slide in my SUV. Got caught without snow tires, my bad.

Old Trucker, I'd love to take that lesson.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

dang-it QueenK ...its a TRAP

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Since I have reaction to couple of things, heights & bullets.

So dangerous jobs for me would be a steel worker & police or military
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Dang-it oldtrucker ...its a TRAP

its a trap.jpg

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Never bite the hand that feeds you.

If Old Trucker is teaching me rig driving, I'd better behave.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/24/middleea ... index.html

Oh sure, there is the headline about the Radio host, but what about the journalist who was also shot and killed?

Journalism by nature should not be a dangerous job, as long as you are covering something completely local, like the IPE or the local council. Don't dare go any higher or indepth than that.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^^^ Where were we? Dangerous jobs, exposing things and .... journalism.

Dangerous job if you aren't just reporting on how Sobrohusfat won a trophy for Cat Wrangling.

Here is yet another example of how journalists the World over are being targetted for doing their job in a meaningful ways.

Rest in Peace, you had to do what your conscience said was right and you paid an ultimate price.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/jo ... li=AAggFp4
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

TreeGuy wrote:In this photo I am taking down one of the largest trees in my career. It was 120' tall, 3' wide at the butt. So yes, a very dangerous job. I would get a little bit anxious the night before but once on the job the adrenalin takes over. I always worked carefully and methodically. I was lucky to have a good mentor early on in my career that taught me to work safe.

I worked almost 20 years in the tree industry without injury to myself or others. I've climbed a lot of trees. And in a matter of seconds my career in the trees ended this past July. And one might think I fell out of a tree, in fact that was even a rumour that went around. Nope, I didn't fall out of a tree. I fell off an FN orchard ladder while trimming a hedge. I broke my neck, shattered my C5 vertebrae and damaged my spinal cord. If you're gonna do it, do it right I say! LOL I'm thankful and lucky I didn't end up in a wheelchair.

Guys doing this kind of work don't get paid nearly enough. Less than $30/hour, often much less. And the wear and tear on the body is hard. But I sure loved doing it! In that picture when I was at the 100' mark I ripped 20' top off of it, nothing beats that adrenalin high.

IMG1216.jpg

Did this job on the coast for several years in the 90's. Always lots of work after a windstorm. I even took down a similar sized tree in Stanley Park once.

The adrenalin high of doing it right and surviving is beyond words.

I also paid the price in the end though. Broken C5 & C6 for me.

A trees revenge I suppose...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Dangerous jobs and journalism, once again raises its ugly head, this time once again in Russia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47517263

Right now thousands of Russians have taken to the street to protest what is effectively a bill to muzzle journalists, put them in jail and sink them.

One will not be about to say things unflattering about the government, ever again if this goes through and heck, hey, it's Putin, of course it is.

Funny how he and Trump both use the words, "Fake News" to cover reporting on their crimes.
The truth will not be real.
Reality will be what they tell you it is.
And you'd better swallow it.
The use of bots can track words and we agree with that when it's being used to track child molestors, kidnappers, crime rings and terrorist organizations.
But when it's used to track citizens conversations on the internet and things were said about the government?
When a tweet can land you in jail for a month?
When will journalists be able to tell the truth and not be labelled as false, fake news spreaders?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

For years it has become apparent that journalism has become one of the most dangerous jobs on Earth.

Take the Israeli/Hamas/Gaza War. How many journalists have lost their lives covering the story? Dozens.

Now some journalists are being accused of having prior knowledge of the impeding October 7th Hamas invasion of Israel. And Israel is say that if they did, they are now marked for death.

So Mossad and Shin Bet didn't know. Netanyahu didn't know. Even though Egypt said they informed the Israeli government ahead of the event but journalists? They're being accused of knowing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67375667

On Thursday, Honest Reporting said they "did not accuse Reuters of collusion" but was rather raising "serious ethical issues regarding news outlets' association with these freelancers".

After the website's initial report, Benny Gantz, a member of Israel's war cabinet, said the photojournalists should be treated as terrorists if it was proven they knew in advance of the 7 October attacks.

An MP for the ruling Likud party, Danny Danon, also said the journalists would be added to a list of people marked for assassination because of their participation in the attacks.

Journalists are protected under international law which says they must be treated as civilians and protected as such during conflicts.
Last edited by Queen K on Nov 10th, 2023, 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Social Concerns”