Support Animals? Going too far?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Support Animals? Going too far?

Post by dirtybiker »

oldtrucker wrote:
Does it bite? Looks dangerous but kinda cute. Can I borrow it to take it to work with me?

Careful, it could draw attention to your unicorn shirt an pumps.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sheesh - who knew? Couldn't find the pumps though:

Maybe this is what normaM means by her support unicorn?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Does the "Rainbow" Unicorn have a hidden meaning?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

In the case of the peacock, I don't buy it all as an emotional support animal. That said, I have an emotional support animal, a cat. She doesn't go out in public with me though, but she does help me a lot with anxiety and other things that I struggle with. Sometimes, she is the only thing that keeps me grounded when things get difficult. Without her, I would struggle a lot more than I already do.

I do think it's ridiculous that people try to classify anything an emotional support animal. There should be guidelines for them, though the US (and each state) also differs from Canada (and province to province) in regard to even being able to have an emotional support animal. Only now are some strata companies and landlords allowing people in BC to have an emotional support animal (with a letter from a therapist or doctor), so it's also not just a person saying their pet is one and having it approved.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I totally back United on this one (and any other airline) thats willing to step up to the plate and publicly state enough is enough. A peacock is not an "emotional support" animal, nor is a turkey or pig, just a couple of other examples others have already tried to bring on board under the guise of the "emotional support" BS.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Bsuds wrote:Does the "Rainbow" Unicorn have a hidden meaning?

Can’t you clearly see it is gender neutral?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

When I flew to Vancouver I was able to get on the plane with my support animal, it wasn’t until after we took off they took issue with it. They didn’t like that I was talking to my imaginary support llama and they really didn’t like it when I kept riding it up and down the aisle.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Always wanted a my little pony.
Totally get that ppl need support creatures but I mean what if it is a horse?
Children have their teddy, or my little pone * she types somewhat bitterly) I had a facecloth. Seriously. But the giant bird is a bit over the top.
I also get people are nervous flying can't inflect that on the rest of the plane by dragging on a screaming bird.
And yes turtles are quite affectionate. :)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

After some consideration, Delta has decided that the bird can board the flight but it can't bring along its emotional support human.
Attachments
48BD308800000578-5331627-image-m-72_1517342335154.jpg
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Anyone that is so emotionally distraught as need a peacock for assistance, is way to unbalanced to be even be considering getting on a big, scary, noisy, airplane.
Bring back the LIKE button.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^^^ I'd agree to that, at least the bird is dressed for going out in public.
And does less screaming.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

One of the supports taken on board was a kangaroo. That must have been a hoot for everyone.

Anyway, the whole issue gives one "paws" about travelling in a flying kennel.

Please bring back some sanity to the world :hailjo: :hailjo: :hailjo:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Not that I want to nitpick, yeah I do lol

But the “Peacock Incident” was onboard United, not Delta :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

CBC’s The Current covered this topic this morning. Apparently there is a website where you can get a certificate for your support animal.

Anyways, off to the pet store to get my support goldfish.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

From Westjets website:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/special-needs/service-animals

Emotional support animals provide comfort to a person with a psychological disability. WestJet accepts emotional support animals on flights to or from most destinations (see our entrance and import regulations below for exclusions). Qualified individuals with a disability may bring emotional support dogs, cats, miniature horses, pigs and monkeys on flights to or from most destinations (see our entrance and import regulations below for exclusions). Other "unusual animals" (with the exception of snakes, reptiles, ferrets, rodents and spiders which are not permitted as they pose a safety and/or public health concerns) may be accepted as an emotional support animal on a case-by-case basis. If you are travelling with your emotional support animal and your itinerary contains a flight operated by a partner airline, please contact the partner airline to confirm their guidelines.

Only one emotional support animal may be held on the lap of a guest with the disability, provided that the animal is no larger than a two-year-old child. If WestJet determines that your animal is over the size of a two-year-old child the animal must travel at your feet.

How is my imaginary llama going to fit at my feet. Plus I will have to choose between my goldfish and my llama. I need the llama for flying and my goldfish for using public washrooms (don’t ask)

Return to “Social Concerns”