Do you think we'll ever end up with a world government?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Do you think we'll ever end up with a world government?

Post by CapitalB »

In this era increasingly interconnected networked globalized people and economies do you think that will be a thing?

For example, star trek wrote humanity forming a cooperative world government sometimes in the 2100's. In our now time real world usually when people talk about a world government we're about to board the conspiracy train to crazy town, or its time for a tirade on the evils of globalization.

Setting aside big brother, our corporate overlords, the illuminati, the bilderbergs, and the snake people. Is this a possible future for humanity?

Are there reasons other than jingoism, nationalism, racism, or other prejudices to be afraid of something like that?

What do you think?

PS: I took a gamble on placing this in social concerns over conspiracy theories because I wanted to talk about the politics of the subject and not get weighed down with the crazy.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Do you think we'll ever end up with a world government?

Post by gman313 »

Personally I have found the trend is moving towards national protectionism. To me this means we are further from a world government that closer.

I also think many government are run with some religious influence (or hide under that) and agreeing on ideologies because of this might be incredibly difficult.

From an economic perspective I think there is tremendous value, economies of scale etc.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

No .....

Trudumb isn't going to last that long .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

oldtrucker wrote:Yes...it's a point of planetary health as we are a super predator. As it sits now there is no way to bring all 7.4 billion people to a equal level, therefore we need a extinction event to wipe 90% of the world population out. Once we tackle the disease called ageing and we live for centuries, then a one world government could come into effect. If we lived for centuries, the immediate greed of here and now would disappear .

I don't know if I'd go that far. I think if everyone got on the same agenda, stopped working against each other, and really streamlined our entire global economy, distribution network, we could be ok.

As things stand right now humanity produces enough excess food that we could feed the entire planet with some to spare. If we spent a couple of decades putting a really concerted effort into turning africa, south east asia, and south america into first world countries, to the most future proof standards. And really really really actually tried to bring education to every person I think we could make it work.

As things stand now people in the most developed nations on the planet have been electing to disbelieve wide swaths of empirically proven science and instead choose to believe obvious propaganda.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

oldtrucker wrote:I agree 'capitalb' .Perhaps if we had a global rule of people being able to reproduce themselves once-only once.

What would your Imam say about that ???
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I think Trump set back any plans for a world government. Brexit too is gonna help set the powers that be back . Support countries who wish to stand tall and go it alone. I want Canada to join America and Brittain. Shun globalism. Look out for our interests not the interests of farakway
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe after we are visited by an Alien race we can forget the petty differences that separate us now.

It will come with time unless we destroy ourselves first.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe after we are visited by an Alien race we can forget the petty differences that separate us now.

It will come with time unless we destroy ourselves first.

I'm thinking the aliens are betting on when we'll destroy ourselves AND if they'll be able to inherit anything usable on this planet .
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

CapitalB wrote:In this era increasingly interconnected networked globalized people and economies do you think that will be a thing?

Many futurists would suggest it is inevitable – assuming (as Bsuds noted) we don’t destroy ourselves first. I would suggest that in 100 to 200 years we will either have made significant progress toward a global government (perhaps based on a system modelling democratic federalism, or maybe even one based on social democracy), or we will have a world that is corporate controlled (picture a polluted, cloud-covered world as portrayed in Bladerunner), perhaps with some illusion of democracy, or we will have devolved to a world of warring tribes (ah yes, nationalism – the precursor to world war).

We already have the technological capabilities for a social democratic system to work, but for it to be successful it would require a much more educated population (not one that would elect the likes of Trump to office, for example). We already have the ability to provide everyone with a minimum grade twelve (or equivalent) education; just as we already have the ability to feed, house and provide health services to everyone on this planet. The only thing stopping us is a lack of political and collective will – oh ya, and the misdirected fear that a more equitable sharing of the planet’s wealth and resources will mean people in the western world will have to give up their 65” flat screen televisions.

People fear change, and conservative forces in the world are especially fearful of it. The current inclinations toward promoting nationalism and isolationism are reflective of that. However, it is already quite clear that nationalism and isolationism will fail, and countries trying to go backwards in time will suffer the economic and political consequences. Evolution, including social, cultural and political evolution, is inevitable, and as Charles Darwin observed, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

oldtrucker wrote: If we got rid of boarders...our way and quality life in the western world could be reduced by as much as 95%.

Just the misdirected fear I was talking about.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Never.
Too many demigods or wanna-bee's, too much religious interference, too much tribalism..... human nature.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

seewood wrote:Never.
Too many demigods or wanna-bee's, too much religious interference, too much tribalism..... human nature.

In other words .. Too much being who YOU want to be as opposed to who they tell you you SHOULD be ...

I'm ok with that .
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

oldtrucker wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDceLiPLHWQ

In a perfect world 'Ka-El'...I so wish spreading the worlds wealth to be possible.
If we got rid of borders...our way and quality life in the western world could be reduced by as much as 95%. I'm afraid westerners couldn't stomach that.
As harsh as it may sound, our species needs a population reduction down to no more than 1 billion. We either do that or we will complete extinction event number 6.
In the spirit of the original posters question, as harsh as this may sound,we as a species and the health of the planetary environment may have been better off- if, in 1949 to 1953,we executed a first strike on the Soviet Union using our superior nuclear force at the time. No more than 30 low yield nukes would have been used and 'CapitalB',you would have had your one world government.

But it would have been a world government under imperialist america. Look how they treat their own people, that would be the third or fourth worst country to be conquered by.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

CapitalB wrote: Look how they treat their own people, that would be the third or fourth worst country to be conquered by.

People who are still gullible enough to be looking to America as some beacon of freedom and hope should really consider moving there. If there is to be a positive of the Trump presidency it will be the loud and clear message that in today’s increasingly interdependent world this transitory fear-based inclination of a few nations to go it on their own will be a signal to the rest of the world of the recklessness of taking that route. While they hope to build their economies by importing less (at greater cost), they will also end up exporting less with the net effect their economies will shrink. While the world no longer needs the US or Britain, both those countries will discover they do need the rest of the world. The world will watch the decline of America and Britain as a result of their isolationist policies and recognize the failure in taking that path.

While evolution is inevitable, there is no guarantee we would develop to the point of successfully adopting and implementing one world government – but that outcome is far preferable to the others. While the right crowd might prefer a globe dotted with isolated warring tribes, or the handing of power from democratically elected governments to corporate boardrooms (already well underway), there is a new generation coming up that is witnessing the failure of extremist ideology (both left and right) and recognizing how they are being screwed over. My hope is these youth will become actively involved in the political and electoral systems. The critical factor will be the protection of democracy, and one day we might even have a planet with enough educated people on it to make a participatory democracy work. At the least, we might hope America has learned its lesson and will not soon again elect an imbecilic buffoon to power.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

These World Elites are working hard and meet every year to bring about World Government or a New World Order...

https://www.worldgovernmentsummit.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Government_Summit

In 2018, the themes included artificial intelligence and happiness.

World Government Summit speakers have included:[22][23]

Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of Republic of India
Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai
Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum[10]
Barack Obama, Former US President[24][25]
Jim Yong Kim, President of The World Bank Group[26]
Ban Ki-Moon, Secretary General of the United Nations[27]
Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces[28]
Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda[29]
Queen Rania Al Abdullah, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan[30]
Jose Angel Gurria, Secretary General of the OECD[31]
Joseph Muscat, Prime Minister of Malta[32]
Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate[33]
Kathy Calvin, President and Chief Executive Officer of the United Nations Foundation[34]
AbdulLatif Al Zayani, Secretary General, Gulf Cooperation Council
Jennifer Blanke, Chief Economist, World Economic Forum
Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Group[35]
Steve Wozniak, Co-Founder, Apple Inc[36][37]
Boo Keun Yoon, CEO, Samsung Electronics Co[38]
Travis Kalanick, Co-Found Uber
Andrew Weil, MD, Author
Dan Buettner, National Geographic Fellow, The Blue Zones[39]
José Zapatero, former Prime Minister of Spain
Martine Durand, OECD Chief Statistician and Director of Statistics[40]
Arianna Huffington, Founder of Thrive Global
Malcolm Gladwell, Author
Deepak Chopra, Author
Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.

Return to “Social Concerns”