Protest supports homeless

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Protest supports homeless

Post by Rider59 »

Chyren wrote:How do any of you even know WHAT they've done or what they've researched? You all assume they're naive kids who want a photo op, yet, they're standing out there trying to bring visibility to a message that's important to them.

How can this be ever looked at as a negative thing? They're kids who are, by nature of being there, doing more than most. Its a lot more than complaining behind a keyboard.

I still feel that its nice to see kids standing up for an issue. Again its an issue I feel that we've been working hard at and I don't agree with their perspective but I do feel its good they're speaking out.

Every second headline and thread is about the poor misunderstood underachieving underbelly of society. I don't think they are saying anything new or important. As a matter of fact, I'm quite tried of having website pages crowded with it.

Has anyone changed their minds because what these kids did?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Rider59 wrote:
Chyren wrote:How do any of you even know WHAT they've done or what they've researched? You all assume they're naive kids who want a photo op, yet, they're standing out there trying to bring visibility to a message that's important to them.

How can this be ever looked at as a negative thing? They're kids who are, by nature of being there, doing more than most. Its a lot more than complaining behind a keyboard.

I still feel that its nice to see kids standing up for an issue. Again its an issue I feel that we've been working hard at and I don't agree with their perspective but I do feel its good they're speaking out.

Every second headline and thread is about the poor misunderstood underachieving underbelly of society. I don't think they are saying anything new or important. As a matter of fact, I'm quite tried of having website pages crowded with it.

Has anyone changed their minds because what these kids did?

I have, I think it is important that these young people have taken time out of their otherwise typically self centered lives to focus their energies and efforts to keep the issue alive, if you paid attention whatsoever to the words these young people spoke, they say they are protesting to keep the issue in the light of day, to see that something does change, that the issue doesn't fall by the way side.

Just because you do not care about others who have not been as fortunate as you in this life, does not mean that the rest of the world operates as you do. Some people believe that it is imperative to help those less fortunate. I realize you are one of many who believes that each person must do it all themselves in life with out the help of others. Each to their own. some of us know that no man is island and that a healthy world is one of love, compassion, generosity of spirit, hope and healing.

I am very happy that these young people have stepped outside of themselves for a moment to keep an issue in the light that does require attention and action.

My mind was changed by these young peoples choice and action in that it renewed my belief in the selfless goodness of human beings.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 10th, 2018, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Bring back the LIKE button.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 10th, 2018, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 10th, 2018, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Bring back the LIKE button.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

removed.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Because_They_Lie wrote:
The city will begin discussing a new, multi-million dollar pool facility in 2019, but Grandbois said that money would be better served to help the marginalized population of Vernon.

I certainly hope that the city of Vernon puts aside a project that will benefit the majority of the community, and instead takes the advice of a 9th Grader on how to spend taxpayer funds. Oh wait, he has no idea how or where to spend it, just don't spend it on something for the majority of the community. Good grief. Just ridiculous.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Because_They_Lie
Banned

It was Mahatma Ghandi who said “A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”
Last edited by Because_They_Lie on Mar 10th, 2018, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Because_They_Lie wrote:
The city will begin discussing a new, multi-million dollar pool facility in 2019, but Grandbois said that money would be better served to help the marginalized population of Vernon.

I certainly hope that the city of Vernon puts aside a project that will benefit the majority of the community, and instead takes the advice of a 9th Grader on how to spend taxpayer funds. Oh wait, he has no idea how or where to spend it, just don't spend it on something for the majority of the community. Good grief. Just ridiculous.

Everything the city of Vernon has done and will continue to do is serve the tax payers - or themselves.

That is the entire issue, there are those in all walks of life who are unable to be self reliant.

This is simply a fact of life.

There will always be "the able" and "the not able".

Your advice is to let the " not able" starve and die.

I get it. You do not know God.

It takes a real special kind of person to enjoy the swimming pool while others go hungry and homeless.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

It was requested that I move this thread back into Social Concerns. STAY ON TOPIC!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Regardless of who you are or your place in this society, I think it is understood that homelessness is a complex problem. Obviously the adults haven't come up with a great solution yet, maybe these young people will find a solution in their life time. Finding a solution begins with recognizing the problem and resolving to do something about it. So good for them, that these young people at least have done that much. Maybe one of them will become an employer for the disadvantages, maybe one of them will one day find a viable treatment for addiction, maybe one of them will become a political leader that will support programs that a community can get behind that will lift people out of poverty. So we don't yet know the potential of these young people, but at least they are thinking about possible solutions.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Silverstarqueen wrote:Regardless of who you are or your place in this society, I think it is understood that homelessness is a complex problem. Obviously the adults haven't come up with a great solution yet, maybe these young people will find a solution in their life time. Finding a solution begins with recognizing the problem and resolving to do something about it. So good for them, that these young people at least have done that much. Maybe one of them will become an employer for the disadvantages, maybe one of them will one day find a viable treatment for addiction, maybe one of them will become a political leader that will support programs that a community can get behind that will lift people out of poverty. So we don't yet know the potential of these young people, but at least they are thinking about possible solutions.

I love your outlook Silerstarqueen! :)
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Because_They_Lie wrote:It was Mahatma Ghandi who said “A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

His name was "Gandhi" - maybe don't take your spelling of peoples' names from tweets by Boy Blunder Trudeau.

And so what if he said this? Are we supposed to care? Canada spends billions of dollars every year on its weakest members, a lot more than India spends per capita. People who think Canada somehow isn't living up to the standards of freaking Gandhi are living in self-denial.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Because_They_Lie wrote:
Your advice is to let the " not able" starve and die.

I didn't say this Cathy Newman, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. So freaking dumb.

It takes a real special kind of person to enjoy the swimming pool while others go hungry and homeless.

So you are saying that if they don't build this swimming pool, but instead give the money away to the homeless, that there will be no homeless problem in Vernon? What are you saying? It sounds to me like pure virtue-signaling. You and this brain-washed 9th grader have latched on to a planned project (a swimming pool) and now want to shame people for not just giving this money away instead. Will it solve the problem? I don't know. You don't seem to have a plan. Mr. 9th Grader doesn't have a plan. Other than idiotic guilt-trips. If you follow this logic then no projects will ever be built to service anyone. We'll just dole out all of the cash to those who identify as homeless and that's it. No new infrastructure. No new sports facilities. No new anything. All because we are so desperate to avoid being shamed by half-wits.

There is a middle-ground here. That's what we all should strive for. Just doling out bales of cash to people doesn't solve the problem. Shaming people for wanting to build swimming pools doesn't solve the problem. Sitting down and coming up with rational solutions solves problems. But that's hard. Thinking is hard. Virtue-signalling is easy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Silverstarqueen wrote: maybe one of them will become a political leader that will support programs that a community can get behind that will lift people out of poverty.

Ban cigarettes. That would lift a lot of people out of "poverty" (whatever that is as no one seems to know what the definition of this word truly is in Canada) as they would suddenly have a lot more disposable income.

Return to “Social Concerns”