What happens if a person dies without family or a will?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
coffeeFreak
Guru

What happens if a person dies without family or a will?

Post by coffeeFreak »

So, does anyone know what happens if a person dies without family or a will?

A friend of mine has a close friend who is dying. This person has my friend as his only emergency contact, but as far as legalities go, there is nothing in place. Would a verbal or a hand written request with witnesses suffice regarding his wishes, cremation etc? If this does not happen, then does anyone know what might happen after this fellow dies? What will they do with his body? Who looks after the financials etc?
Last edited by coffeeFreak on Mar 9th, 2018, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: What happens if a person dies without family or a will?

Post by Queen K »

I have an entire thread dedicated to this topic, let me find it.

Found it

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20016&hilit=Died+without+a+will+help+us+understand

I will find the best quotes, give brb.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Check your PM.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

coffeeFreak wrote:So, does anyone know what happens if a person dies without family or a will?

A friend of mine has a close friend who is in the Hospice House. This person has my friend as his only emergency contact, but as far as legalities go, there is nothing in place. Would a verbal or a hand written request with witnesses suffice regarding his wishes, cremation etc? If this does not happen, then does anyone know what might happen after this fellow dies? What will they do with his body? Who looks after the financials etc?

Okay ASAP, find a notary or lawyer who will go to Hospice House with a form and get the will done.

Otherwise a person will have to apply to be an "administrator" and that process can take MONTHS if there are competing applications. A judge has to work out who is the best candidate to administrate the Estate.

CoffeeFreak, please PM me if you have more questions.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote:Mom went down to fill out paperwork to get the ball rolling. Went to the Canada Government Services today and suddenly found out that there is no point in arriving without several peices of paperwork.

1. Birth Certificates of the Deceased and Her, as the Wife
2. Social Insurance Numbers for the Deceased and Her, as the Wife.
3. Marriage Certificate for the Survivor Pension'
4. Legal Separation Papers with a DATE on it.
5. Funeral Reciept regardless of what Service you employed.
7. Addresses of Deceased and Beneficiary
8. Bank Address (Proper Branch where registered, NOT where one used it the most), and all Account Numbers FOR EACH BANK where services where employed
9. A blank cheque of the Survivor
10. ORIGINAL DEATH CERTIFICATE (They made copies of it and then stamped it, as in certified it.)

Because there is no handy dandy list like this to be found anywhere I'm guessing alot of people's running around involves NOT realizing what each office they encounter really needs. In other words, why go if one does not have every scrap of paper required.

I ask you all, do you all have Birth Certificates for every family member in a fire safety box? Anywhere? I have mine in a file.

WOW and all this goes back to when I used the handle Keesa.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

This man has spent much of his time as a drifter, working cash jobs, and staying in motels, picker cabins and homeless shelters, and has no ID.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No ID? :135:

I suspect there isn't enough to file even with revenue Canada then.

No banking information? Forgottten accounts? :135:
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Queen K wrote:No ID? :135:

I suspect there isn't enough to file even with revenue Canada then.

No banking information? Forgottten accounts? :135:

Crazy situation, hey? That is why we are wondering about what do they do in this type of situation?
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

If you think this person may have unclaimed or forgotten bank accounts/money order/GIC, etc. you can check it online at the Bank of Canada.

General information
https://www.bankofcanada.ca/unclaimed-balances/

Search for unclaimed money
https://ucbswww.bank-banque-canada.ca/s ... nglish.cfm
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If he has not a piece of ID what finances?
A notary or Lawyer will have to go to sign off whatever he draws up. Staples used to sell a cheap Will kit.
Does he live alone or in Hospice - his medical team ought to be able to help with some of this.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: Staples used to sell a cheap Will kit.

You can print them out online for free.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Remember the farmer who was dying, pinned by his tractor, and scratched out his wishes in the paint? That was just a few years ago.

I'd think if it's mostly about being cremated, a hand-written witnessed by staff should be enough, shouldn't it? (Should only be more complicated if he wants assets distributed, right?)
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I doubt any bank is going to hand over "unclaimed money" without ID, death certificate that matches ID.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Silverstarqueen wrote:I doubt any bank is going to hand over "unclaimed money" without ID, death certificate that matches ID.

Of course they won't. The link provided shows ...

The details and duration of the processing of each claim can vary considerably, depending on the type of claim being made. There are three different types of claims:

Individual – A claim to retrieve a balance for which the owner is still living.
Estate – A claim to retrieve a balance for which the owner is now deceased.
Corporate – A claim to retrieve a balance for which the owner is an organization—as opposed to an individual.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/unclaimed-b ... -to-claim/

coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Well, our friend passed away without a will. He finally got past his denial and accepted he was dying and needed a will, but by then it was just too late. I did learn that most notaries and lawyers will not do a "death bed will" due to liability issues.

So now he is at the mercy of the Public Trustee. We will try and keep involved, as we do know what his wishes were, however, because we are not related it is completely out of our hands.

What a sad way to end a life!!

Return to “Social Concerns”