Orwellian newspeak - resistance is futile.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Woodenhead
Guru

Orwellian newspeak - resistance is futile.

Post by Woodenhead »

Old news & obvious if you have half a free-thinking brain, so I figured I post it on this site since that would be a minority here. [icon_lol2.gif]

Your bias suits you.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Orwellian newspeak - resistance is futile.

Post by StraitTalk »

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like pretentious or downright annoying, but I knew the news was poisonous to minds well before I was an adult.

I grew up in a home where the news was on every morning and every night before dinner while my mom cooked. When I was in my mid-teens, I started to feel as though the media was making me and my family think a certain way and not in not a good way. It was spitting out the same stories over and over, but on different days with different people in different places.

Eventually I spoke up to my mom and called it for what I thought it was, "all crap". Over time, I continued to grow more and more hatred towards the prime-time news and eventually refused to talk to my mother about anything she learned about on the media, constantly challenging her understanding and opinion of things and asking if that's what the news had painted it as.

Then it happened to my mom, and I can gladly say that that my mom barely watches the news anymore. Oh wait, no I can't, because she is part of the generation of people that started to understand and use Facebook between 2012 and 2015 while the youth of today avoid it completely, and sure enough, I watched her Facebook feed turn into a hateful, Islamophobic, paranoid and almost ALWAYS entirely nonfactual echo-chamber for biased news.

This actually lead me to delete Facebook and I've been trying to convince everyone I know to do it since. The beautiful thing about the internet is that you can very quickly absorb a lot of information, but if you are incapable or unwilling to think critically, question absolutely everything and put your effort into proving yourself wrong instead of right, then you will undoubtedly end up just like one of the many zombies currently walking our malls, filling cubicles and warming sofas while they watch the latest hit tv show.

So, yeah. Think for yourselves.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpq2Q7J2_2Y
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Media will always be with us, has been for over a century. I am not sure the point of the video, so media is spreading the word that fake news is bad, and listeners, readers, facebookers, should alway be alert and a little suspect because even news organizations can be fooled. I recall during the U.s. election race, when fake stories were rampant on facebook, I called out many of these stories, did the check on what the actual story was (before it got twisted and hijacked). I thought I was helping people be more critical consumers of information. Instead I got "un-friended" by Americans who happened to be Trump supporters. Early on, when I saw how the news media was being used to spread hate propaganda and mis-information, I tried to explain how that same tactic was used by Nazi German Political parties, and why it was dangerous. But it seems there aren't enough people old enough to remember what happened there, or who even believe it ever happened. THe Germans know now how it works tho, I doubt Trump could have pulled the same snaffoo there.
I would hope that our news media organizations have learned a valuable lesson, and continue to educate the public about the "dangers to our democracy".

IF critical listeners/readers just refuse to engage in media, and social media, and discussions of them, who will be there to help educate others as to the importance of critical reading/listening?
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

I usually try for an original source, transcript, explanatory, or alternate viewpoint.

And when It comes to A-V like the example in the OP, if I want to analyse it critically or apply the above, sometimes I transcribe it verbatim:

"Orwellian newspeak - resistance is futile (if you want to collect your paycheque)"

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p2330240

Hi, I’m Fox San Antonio’s Jessica Headley.
And I’m Ryan Wolf.
Our greatest responsibility is to sever our Treasure Valley communities.
The El Paso / Las Cruces communities.
Eastern Iowa communities.
Mid-Michigan communities.
We are extremely proud of the quality balanced journalism that CBS4 produces.
But we are concerned about some of the irresponsible, one-sided news stories plaguing our country.
Plaguing our country.
The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media—more alarming, some media outlets publish these same fake stories without checking facts first.
The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media—more alarming, some media outlets publish these, publish these, things dangerous and right-wing morons pass them on as they are true without checking facts first.
Unfortunately some members of the media use make their platforms to push their own person bias and agenda to control the reactions exactly to what people the conservative sheep think and this is extremely dangerous to our democracy.
This is extremely dangerous to our democracy.

“Sinclair and its digital news subsidiary Circa not only produce and sends packages to their stations they even write scripts that local anchors can use to introduce the pieces, (8:35 below).”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... vtNyOzGogc

BTW I miss Claudia, but I heard she ran off, got married, and has a child now.

Oh well, at least we inherited Julia Wong over here.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Oh, and hey . . ., April Fools and happy Easter :biggrin:
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Sinclair's new media-bashing promos rankle local anchors

"This is so manipulative."

<snip>

The instructions to local stations say that the promos "should play using news time, not commercial time." Like the Epshteyn commentaries, this takes away from local news time.

"Please produce the attached scripts exactly as they are written," the instructions say. "This copy has been thoroughly tested and speaks to our Journalistic Responsibility as advocates to seek the truth on behalf of the audience."

<snip>

The instructions for producing and airing the localized versions went into great detail about how the promos "should look and sound," according to another document obtained by CNN.

"Talent should dress in jewel tones -- however they should not look political in their dress or attire," one of the documents says. "Avoid total red, blue and purples dresses and suits. Avoid totally red, blue and purple ties, the goal is to look apolitical, neutral, nonpartisan yet professional. Black or charcoal suits for men...females should wear yellow, gold, magenta, cyan, but avoid red, blue or purple."

At the end of the promo, viewers are encouraged to send in feedback "if you believe our coverage is unfair."
The instructions say that "corporate will monitor the comments and send replies to your audience on your behalf."
In other words, local stations are cut out of the interactions with viewers. Management will handle it instead.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/07/media/s ... index.html

Striving for accuracy, this is the best I can do so far on trying to find the full content possibly presented as instructed and as it appears to be ‘coherently’ broadcast (a brief lag in cuing the audio and seems to be cut short at the end).

StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Media will always be with us, has been for over a century. I am not sure the point of the video, so media is spreading the word that fake news is bad, and listeners, readers, facebookers, should alway be alert and a little suspect because even news organizations can be fooled. I recall during the U.s. election race, when fake stories were rampant on facebook, I called out many of these stories, did the check on what the actual story was (before it got twisted and hijacked). I thought I was helping people be more critical consumers of information. Instead I got "un-friended" by Americans who happened to be Trump supporters. Early on, when I saw how the news media was being used to spread hate propaganda and mis-information, I tried to explain how that same tactic was used by Nazi German Political parties, and why it was dangerous. But it seems there aren't enough people old enough to remember what happened there, or who even believe it ever happened. THe Germans know now how it works tho, I doubt Trump could have pulled the same snaffoo there.
I would hope that our news media organizations have learned a valuable lesson, and continue to educate the public about the "dangers to our democracy".

IF critical listeners/readers just refuse to engage in media, and social media, and discussions of them, who will be there to help educate others as to the importance of critical reading/listening?

I think the intent of the video is to scare you, to be quite honest. I got some certain vibes from it and it was very well done in that regard, but the message is something like this: Here we all are, your personable, friendly local media stations (who are recent last defenders of unbiased televised news - just look at who owns all the "independent" news stations now) telling you about this concept of fake, insincere, misleading and brain-washing news(and how dangerous it is) while simultaneously reading a script that was given to them by the exact corporations who are to blame for what it is they're talking about. :swear:

This video will undoubtedly resonate with younger people and likely some old.Youth have historically low levels of trust in their government(the ones who are supposed to prevent this), and I'm not saying this is to blame, but it's something to consider.

This topic always gets me riled up because of the sheer abundance of people my age who are disconnected from journalism and forced to places like the internet where the last true voices of honesty flourish. And so do the voices of dishonesty. So we're left with one question. Are we smart enough to discern between the two?
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Well, as I posted above, for some of these journalists, it seems the 'the bullet hasn't entered their brain' just yet.

Although 'the rats' are certainly in the cages with us.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

There are serious implications when a single company, who openly supports one political party, is making a move to own 70% of the local news outlets. John Oliver did a great segment on Sinclair Broadcast Group examining why corporate consolidation of local news is something to be concerned about.

Trump-Friendly Company Buys Rights to Deliver Local News to 70 Percent of Households

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... f-u-s.html
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

From the above video:

“Sinclair and its digital news subsidiary Circa not only produce and sends packages to their stations they even write scripts that local anchors can use to introduce the pieces, (8:35).”

And then Oliver uses much the same repetitive technique to demonstrate and reinforce his point as was used in the OP video.

Return to “Social Concerns”