What is ruining debates?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: What is ruining debates?

Post by normaM »

For many debating is akin to attacking their core beliefs ( no matter if there is a basis for that belief) so they go in attack or denial mode. Refusing to accept that their tenet or opinion might just might be incorrect.
So many factors go into determining a set belief it becomes near impossible to see others perspective.
We toss around the term critical thinking but don't often apply it when we form our opinion.

I'm fond of telling people their are entitled to their wrong opinion :)

One can't debate if they don't know the set rules for debating, hence it all becomes a shytshow. On the net that is displayed with typing in CAPS, or bolding. Or even worse, changing font color! lol
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Please see my signature below. Lol.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Queen K wrote:Image

This, too, is flawed. If the theory is that one person has to be wrong and the other has to be right. Both could be wrong, or both could be right. It's simply not a binary issue.

If my daughter drew that shape on the ground, she wouldn't know it was a 6 or a 9. In fact, she often plays a game with me where she draws something then asks me what it looks like. Most of her little scribbles look like nothing recognizable, but some few look like they could be a letter or number.

From where I sit, I can see a 6, or 9 or I can see a large mug with an even larger handle. Nobody is right or wrong when there is no way to know either way.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think by going to the source and finding out the basic facts first always helps. Who, what, when, where, why and how are the basics in problem solving and acquiring information that should be essential in any kind of debate.
As far as the number is concerned, it could have been printed upside down.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I think for this example the lesson is both are right because the correct answer depends on perspective. If both sides were able to effectively debate by attempting to view the issue from the other's perspective, they should both reach that conclusion.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

im glad to know that i am right. and you are all wrong. and your duty is to convince me that you are right and i am wrong.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Debates go sideways the moment one party or both start talking down to the other.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

if-you-look-close-enough-that-high-horse-people-like-21816256.png
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

It’s said that what you don’t know isn’t as dangerous as what you know for sure that just isn’t so.

It’s a close call. Facts have always been adjusted to suit political biases, but the practice appears to have become epidemic. The outcome is apparent in the kind of incoherent nonsense we see so much of in our schools and media.

Meaningful debate can occur when the elementary facts (foundational knowledge) are known and agreed on, but even a basic Socratic dialogue is impossible when most people can’t respond intelligently to simple questions about current events, history or philosophy.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^^^ Not enough people understanding these.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

right wingers
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

burnedatstake wrote:right wingers

Yari Kurri, Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Gordie Howe, Maurice 'Rocket" Richard.
All outstanding right wingers, each and every one of them.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

Snman wrote:Yari Kurri, Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, Gordie Howe, Maurice 'Rocket" Richard.
All outstanding right wingers, each and every one of them.

gotta give that one a begrudging - touche.
Jack DeBear
Board Meister

Post by Jack DeBear »

Return to “Social Concerns”