GoFundme

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
bitingmytongue

Re: GoFundme

Post by bitingmytongue »

You are 100% out of place here. Insurance is NOT covering her flight home which was $3200 and insurance is NOT covering the time off of work that she is needing due to her injuries. May I also add that she was not driving while the accident happened - so how is it her fault?
TO BE CLEAR - She did not start the GoFundMe for herself. A family friend of hers did.

t76turbo wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/271213/Kelowna-woman-has-serious-moped-accident-in-Indonesia#271213

These go fundme campaigns are really starting to annoy me. What I'm referring to is the fact that there is already travel insurance to cover some if not all major costs involved for this accident. At what point do people accept personal responsibility for their actions? I could understand somewhat if this young lady got hurt through no fault of her own, however no one else here to blame but herself. Am I out of place here?
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

Oh calm down, maybe she should have thought twice while on vacation. Sorry but these go fund me pages are out of hand. More like get off your lazy butt and save for a rainy day. It's not up to me to pay your way home.
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Is there a link to the story the OP is referring to?
Bring back the LIKE button.
bitingmytongue

Post by bitingmytongue »

Thought twice about what?
Nobody is forcing anyone to read or donate to the GoFundMe pages.. not sure why some feel 'its up to you' to pay for anything.

sherashera wrote:Oh calm down, maybe she should have thought twice while on vacation. Sorry but these go fund me pages are out of hand. More like get off your lazy butt and save for a rainy day. It's not up to me to pay your way home.
bitingmytongue

Post by bitingmytongue »

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to post here to say, GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE. If you are so closed minded that you think GoFundMe campaigns are scams or a way for people to pocket the money in a time of distress.. please just take a long hard look in the mirror because one day when you are in need of help or support - you will be wishing that there are some kind people out there, unlike yourself.

In regards to the young lady who was in the accident in Indonesia- she did have travel insurance but not trip interruption so therefor her flight home was NOT covered by insurance. Her future physiotherapy, time off work, etc is NOT covered by her travel insurance.

In regards to the woman who hit a moose, she is likely going to be out alot of $ and it is probably true that ICBC will not cover all expenses including her time off work, her families expenses for trying to help her recover etc

In regards to the man who LOST HIS EYE over the weekend.. guaranteed his time off of work, his lifestyle modifications he needs to do and his bills are not going to be covered by any insurance.

Remember that these people who are in need of help during an accident or emergency, they all have lives too - they pay rent or a mortgage, they have vehicle insurance payments they need to make, they all have bills that need to be paid regardless of if they're in the hospital or recovering.

Also a reminder that GoFundMe was set up for this purpose... to raise money to help individuals during a tough time, to raise money/donations for literally ANYTHING. If you dont like it, then dont participate?? Why do you feel the need to complain about it? There are ways you can filter your newsfeed on facebook, twitter etc so you dont HAVE to see it -

If you actually are informed and take a look at majority of the GoFundMe's that are started, 99.9% of times they aren't started by the person in need.. so where do you see any of them "begging"?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Just like all the beggers with a hard luck story of their own, that are non-verifiable, these go-fund-me-pages have just become high-tech begging. I am not saying that this story is not valid, but we are in the times where the scams outnumber the legitimate claims.
I decided many years ago that I would no longer give anything to anyone that asks for it.

I will pick and choose the charities that I give to, the ones that make it to the top of the list are the ones that don't ask.
Bring back the LIKE button.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

you are so very wrong...many Go Fund me pages are scams out there...been played personally by a few..

I do agree that donating is a personal choice and do it if you want and don't if you don't want too..but don't think for a second that there isn't people out there that wouldn't start a go fund me as a scam...would love to know how many are canceled because they end up just being a scam ??
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

bitingmytongue wrote:Hi everyone.

I just wanted to post here to say, GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE. If you are so closed minded that you think GoFundMe campaigns are scams or a way for people to pocket the money in a time of distress.. please just take a long hard look in the mirror because one day when you are in need of help or support - you will be wishing that there are some kind people out there, unlike yourself.

In regards to the young lady who was in the accident in Indonesia- she did have travel insurance but not trip interruption so therefor her flight home was NOT covered by insurance. Her future physiotherapy, time off work, etc is NOT covered by her travel insurance.

In regards to the woman who hit a moose, she is likely going to be out alot of $ and it is probably true that ICBC will not cover all expenses including her time off work, her families expenses for trying to help her recover etc

In regards to the man who LOST HIS EYE over the weekend.. guaranteed his time off of work, his lifestyle modifications he needs to do and his bills are not going to be covered by any insurance.

Remember that these people who are in need of help during an accident or emergency, they all have lives too - they pay rent or a mortgage, they have vehicle insurance payments they need to make, they all have bills that need to be paid regardless of if they're in the hospital or recovering.

Also a reminder that GoFundMe was set up for this purpose... to raise money to help individuals during a tough time, to raise money/donations for literally ANYTHING. If you dont like it, then dont participate?? Why do you feel the need to complain about it? There are ways you can filter your newsfeed on facebook, twitter etc so you dont HAVE to see it -

If you actually are informed and take a look at majority of the GoFundMe's that are started, 99.9% of times they aren't started by the person in need.. so where do you see any of them "begging"?

and whos fault is that time to grow up and take some responsibility for YOUR OWN ACTIONS instead of internet begging. Didn't purchase the proper insurance for your trip tough luck suck it up, lost your eye four wheeling go through buddies insurance if he didn't have any to bad suck it up, the one who hit a moose is the only one I feel remotely sorry for and you should have your own coverage for such an incident. Some people need to give their heads a shake alright
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
bitingmytongue

Post by bitingmytongue »

Boosted632 wrote:

and whos fault is that time to grow up and take some responsibility for YOUR OWN ACTIONS instead of internet begging. Didn't purchase the proper insurance for your trip tough luck suck it up, lost your eye four wheeling go through buddies insurance if he didn't have any to bad suck it up, the one who hit a moose is the only one I feel remotely sorry for and you should have your own coverage for such an incident. Some people need to give their heads a shake alright

Is it considered begging when the person who is in need isn't truly begging though? Think about that.
bitingmytongue

Post by bitingmytongue »

Boosted632 wrote:

Its not like they are knocking on your door or sitting on the sidewalk literally begging for money. If you don't like something, don't participate in it.

If the posts about GoFundMe are annoying you, well my friend... 'suck it up'
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

I just wanted to post here to say, GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE. If you are so closed minded that you think GoFundMe campaigns are scams or a way for people to pocket the money in a time of distress..

Wait...like this?:
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 5.00.02 PM.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alleged-ringleader-400k-gofundme-scam-pleads-guilty-n1097106
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Know what is not a scam? Right now a young working woman with children lost her home to todays fire in Rutland. Yes, she had no tenants insurance. Let's get that out of the way. But now she needs compassionate help.

GoFundMe is set up now.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ire#272116
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

A problem I have is that SOME Go fund me causes get posted on Castanet, but not all. So why is that? Like the Man and the furnace, I had Qs put knew I'd be driven outta Dodge if I asked
Yes, people are free to give what they want but I think if Castanet is going to publish ONE GFP then all should be...
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A reminder for those wanting to start one - make sure you know how it works.

She raised over $26K for Australian wildfire aid. But suddenly the sum raised on GoFundMe fell to $0

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5460385
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”