Homeless commit another Crime.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
alanjh595
Banned

Homeless commit another Crime.

Post by alanjh595 »

Tims B&E duo nabbed
Kelowna RCMP arrested a man and a woman and recovered stolen property following a commercial break and enter, Saturday.

About 12:30 a.m., police received a report of a B&E just committed at the Tim Hortons at Powick Road and Enterprise Way.

Officers arrived to find the front glass door of the restaurant had been smashed.

“It is alleged that the suspects fled the scene with multiple cash drawers and an undisclosed amount of cash," says Cpl. Jesse O’Donaghey.

Police located a suspect vehicle in a mall parking lot on Harvey Avenue, and the duo were taken into custody without incident.

A 35-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman, each of no fixed address, face potential charges.

When will the CoK do something ?
Bring back the LIKE button.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Homeless commit another Crime.

Post by TimmyE »

They are. They are building more low income housing in the area so that they will have a fixed address!
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

96619985-3FFE-4F3D-AA9E-F8201D07FBE0.jpeg
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I should have read the bold parts in the OP!
Last edited by JayByrd on Sep 10th, 2018, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

TimmyE wrote:They are. They are building more low income housing in the area so that they will have a fixed address!

I get your point :biggrin:

Will having a fixed address stop the B&Es/theft? OR just eliminate that last line from the news articles?

What next?
Sue and Bill were busted living at "low income housing" project #23 on Pacific Avenue.
Unit # can't be disclosed due to privacy reasons.
They are well known by the police.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JayByrd wrote:Alan, what makes you think these suspects were homeless?

From the news article:
A 35-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman, each of no fixed address, face potential charges.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... duo-nabbed
savvybusinessman
Board Meister

Post by savvybusinessman »

What if no fixed address means they live in RVs.....that they purchased legally?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Purchased legally with funds that were obtained illegally ? [icon_lol2.gif]
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

alanjh595 wrote:
From the news article:

My apologies, I managed to miss that the first time around even though you bolded it. Carry on!
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

If we did a search on the number of crimes committed by the homeless vs those who are not homeless, I think those who are not would far outweigh the homeless. Criminals are criminals whether they have an address or not so let's not direct our outrage towards the homeless anymore than the other.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

coffeeFreak wrote:If we did a search on the number of crimes committed by the homeless vs those who are not homeless, I think those who are not would far outweigh the homeless. Criminals are criminals whether they have an address or not so let's not direct our outrage towards the homeless anymore than the other.

I agree with you on this, but it is the homeless that commit the largest number of the petty crimes. They are also the least sophisticated and don't have a home to hide their ill-gotten-booty. They have to sell/trade their goods as quickly as possible after stealing them or face a greater risk of being caught.
It is human nature to place the greatest blame on the largest group that get caught and are publicized. It's just a matter of statistics.
A homeless person may be responsible for 45 minor thefts that they get $100 in exchange. By comparison, a bad stock broker may steal $1,000,000 in one transaction and rarely gets caught.

It's a law of averages.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

alanjh595 wrote:
I agree with you on this, but it is the homeless that commit the largest number of the petty crimes. They are also the least sophisticated and don't have a home to hide their ill-gotten-booty. They have to sell/trade their goods as quickly as possible after stealing them or face a greater risk of being caught.
It is human nature to place the greatest blame on the largest group that get caught and are publicized. It's just a matter of statistics.
A homeless person may be responsible for 45 minor thefts that they get $100 in exchange. By comparison, a bad stock broker may steal $1,000,000 in one transaction and rarely gets caught.

It's a law of averages.

This doesn't make much sense at all. What you said isn't even "statistics." It's perception.

The average person doesn't deal with gangs, drugs or anything related to most crime. The average person has their car broken into, which is immediately attributed to homeless people looking to support their drug habit. While it may be true, it's personalized and impactful... thus memorable.

The vast majority of people awaiting trial are in gangs or associates of them.

Homeless people make up about 2% of all incarcerated individuals.

I don't even like homeless people, but in terms of crime... they're small potatoes
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Okay, substitute perceptions for statistics. That works better.

What "gangs" do we have in the Okanagan?

The vast majority of people awaiting trial are in gangs or associates of them.

Where do you get that "fact/statistic" ? This is from 2011 and relates to addicts.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.1025987

I purposely left out druggies from my original post and just focused on the homeless for a reason.
spooker

Post by spooker »

TimmyE wrote:They are. They are building more low income housing in the area so that they will have a fixed address!

This follows Finland who started a program called "Housing First" ...

The scheme, introduced in 2007, is called Housing First. It is built on the principle that having a permanent home can make solving health and social problems much easier.

The homeless are given permanent housing on a normal lease. That can range from a self-contained apartment to a housing block with round-the-clock support. Tenants pay rent and are entitled to receive housing benefits. Depending on their income, they may contribute to the cost of the support services they receive. The rest is covered by local government.

Since the scheme started, thousands have benefitted.

Finland has seen their homeless numbers go down ... while larger European economies are seeing their numbers go up ...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

spooker wrote:Finland has seen their homeless numbers go down ... while larger European economies are seeing their numbers go up ...

Of course, numbers will go down when they are given a home at no cost to them. Just like giving all those that live in tents with no civic address (you can't get mail delivered to a tent) and give them a PO box number with a street address. Now they are of a fixed address, for this month, at least.

Return to “Social Concerns”