What are your most controversial/extreme views?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: What are your most controversial/extreme views?

Post by Lady tehMa »

My view is that these philosophers should be erased.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/philosophers-claim-over-moral-right-to-kill-newborns-sparks-outrage-20120301-1u61l.html

KILLING newborns is morally the same as abortion and should be permissible if the mother wishes it, Australian philosophers have argued in an article that has unleashed a firestorm of criticism and forced the British Medical Journal to defend its publication.

Alberto Giubilini, from Monash University, and Francesca Minerva, from the University of Melbourne, say a foetus and a newborn are equivalent in their lack of a sense of their own life and aspiration. They contend this justifies what they call ''after-birth abortion'' as long as it is painless, because the baby is not harmed by missing out on a life it cannot conceptualise.

I haven't failed until I quit.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Lady tehMa wrote:My view is that these philosophers should be erased.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/philosophers-claim-over-moral-right-to-kill-newborns-sparks-outrage-20120301-1u61l.html

KILLING newborns is morally the same as abortion and should be permissible if the mother wishes it, Australian philosophers have argued in an article that has unleashed a firestorm of criticism and forced the British Medical Journal to defend its publication.

Alberto Giubilini, from Monash University, and Francesca Minerva, from the University of Melbourne, say a foetus and a newborn are equivalent in their lack of a sense of their own life and aspiration. They contend this justifies what they call ''after-birth abortion'' as long as it is painless, because the baby is not harmed by missing out on a life it cannot conceptualise.

That's an interesting choice of words. Should they be erased in much the same way that an aborted foetus is?

At what point would you consider others having an abortion unacceptable and why?

Excepting personal morality and religiously informed beliefs, why is what they are claiming incorrect, in your view?

BTW, I'm not saying I agree with them, I'm just keen to understand your point of view.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I am against abortion, much less infanticide for the simple fact that life is life and murder is immoral.

I said "erased", because for an academic, having that recognition - their life's work - erased from existence would be more painful than death.

Given a choice between life and censorship, I will choose censorship (and this coming from a bibliophile).
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Lady tehMa wrote:I am against abortion, much less infanticide for the simple fact that life is life and murder is immoral.

At what point/stage does it become human life in your eyes? For instance is a fertilised egg life worthy of protection and is the termination of such murder in your eyes? If not then, at what point? Basically, what are your criteria for life to be considered human life worthy of absolute protection?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I always vote for the incumbent party as long as they're not making a mess of things. I voted for the conservatives federally despite having ideological differences with Harper and his crew. Voted for the liberals provincially despite some differences there too. In my opinion we need to change as voters if we ever want politicians to make the right and many times, unpopular decisions. The current problem isn't that politicians don't know what needs to be done, they just don't know how to get re-elected after doing it.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

^^^ don't think I'd call that view either controversial or extreme.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Ka-El wrote:^^^ don't think I'd call that view either controversial or extreme.

I agree, it shouldn't be.

Politicians are in a no win situation anymore and as a result we end up with the politicians we deserve instead of the ones we need.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Just reading the thread on a fence in Rutland that is regularly tagged after it gets repainted. Got me to thinking about how I truly feel the taggers should be treated.

When my kids were very small, occasionally they would hurt themselves simply being curious about their surroundings. One or two of them tried on a burner, but only once. One placed their hands on the glass in front of the fireplace, again only once.

Stunting on a bike gone wrong etc. You get the picture.

I guess the moral is that they learned what not to do because they associated it with pain.

So, taggers, thieves, drug dealers, that sort of ilk, maybe if when caught their future memories associated their past actions with pain, because of some unfortunate handling by the constabulary or the affected and righteously pisssed off public, maybe they too would learn not to touch the burner.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I will throw down the gauntlet for real now:

The only reason people experience white knuckle driving is that they're driving too fast and/or they're bad drivers.

:runforlife:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Glacier wrote:I will throw down the gauntlet for real now:

The only reason people experience white knuckle driving is that they're driving too fast and/or they're bad drivers.

:runforlife:

Isn't it being a bad driver to drive too fast? Not that good drivers don't drive fast, just that they know when it is safe and when it's not.

Bad drivers are far more likely to have a near miss, find themselves scared, find themselves out of control or with no idea what to do if things start to go pear shaped. Being a good driver is not just not causing accidents, it is actively avoiding them and circumstances which make them more likely. Being a good driver requires having a way out when things go wrong in ways which can be somewhat anticipated and an understanding what to do in other cases. Being a good driver involves checking your mirrors before hitting the brakes and knowing when to try to avoid the accident and when to minimise the damage done. I really wish people would take more pride in their driving skill.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My controversial extreme view is that there could be a men's forum here. Fem nazis keep out.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Everyone should be required to take a full road test every other time they renew their license. Theres a tremendous amount of low key bad drivers on the road and even just putting them under review every once in a while would go a long way to help things.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

ohhhh...."Femi Nazis" haven't heard that disgusting term in awhile...kind of thought it died awhile ago..

maybe start your own Forum for Men Only, Queen...you have every right to do so..or if your craving needs to be instant, there's many available online right now to read..(only a click away)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I believe that life starts at conception.

I believe that people need to take responsibility for their actions.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

W105 wrote:ohhhh...."Femi Nazis" haven't heard that disgusting term in awhile...kind of thought it died awhile ago..

maybe start your own Forum for Men Only, Queen...you have every right to do so..or if your craving needs to be instant, there's many available online right now to read..(only a click away)

I tried to open two measly threads for men to not be judged, condemned, corrected or whatever else someone thought to impose.

And yes, this is the "most controversial" thread. If you don't like that people put in their say, don't read it. No need to turn yourself into judge and jury.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”