Battling sexism in trades

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Battling sexism in trades

Post by MAPearce »

gman313 wrote:Curious OP what this has to do with the Trades?

I'm in a "trade " .. I swear at will when venting over a pint at the end of a LONG day ..

It's my AND my male compatriots right .. To vent .

I don't mind any female compatriots sitting , drinking , belching ,farting or swearing with "us" BUT , the "mood " is the mood ...

Leave it at that . It's what "we" do ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

kgcayenne wrote:I don't understand this need to hang out with one's workmates socially. Go home to your fekkin families; you've already spent 40+ hours with these people!

not everyone has a family to go to after work,just saying
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

liisgo wrote:Its good to see people have had enough of this male bashing, complaining about sexism etc.
Seems we've had enough of the poor me, victim hood against the big evil male ways.
Give me a break, this young woman, speaking in front of others and trying to push her brainwashed, "im a victim of sexism at work" crap onto others in a professional, educational facility.
Get with it, women hang out all the time after work together everywhere. Even at work they talk privately.
Its no different.

]
so what now, the boys can'nt have a few beers after work without offending her :200: , maybe she's just a -itch and no one want's to hangout with her after work
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have been on a few "work crews" (as a simplistic analogy), that were all male and had been together for years. They had bonded and worked very well together. Throw a female into that group and the dynamics change considerably.

For a simplistic example; There was a group of men that I worked with for years, there were lots of "pin-up" girl photos displayed in the locker room. They all had to come down and we were warned that sexually explicit jokes would no longer be tolerated due to the hiring of a female.

Not to mention, the changes to bathroom and change room/locker room to accommodate this one female. She couldn't do the job and had quit within one month, everything went back to the way it was.
Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yup, seen it happen many times over the years
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

And hold on a minute...where in the article does it say anything about how men act when they're "having a few beers after work" or whatever? The woman in the article mentioned being excluded from those gatherings. She said nothing about how men behave in those situations. It sounds like she wanted to be there but wasn't invited.

From the article: “Most of the girls are concerned about how to approach sexism in the trade, and I totally get that because I know when I first started I was quite scared of the men that I had to work with,” Dallmann said. “It just made me uncomfortable, some of the comments they made."

Now, we don't know what exactly those comments were. Maybe it was simply the language they used in conversation, or maybe there were belittling remarks directed at her. She didn't specify. She also didn't say that it was evil or criminal or that her male co-workers were terrible people. Just that it made her uncomfortable. Is she wrong to admit that?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

the truth wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:I don't understand this need to hang out with one's workmates socially. Go home to your fekkin families; you've already spent 40+ hours with these people!

not everyone has a family to go to after work,just saying

Not everyone goes to hang out everyday with workmates , and I'm not particularly interested in "hanging" with mine to be honest .

But I know other people in the trades that could be at my local stomp on the days the wife is on 3 to 11 and the kids are with bio dad , So I'll pop in for or two ..

Who's getting hurt ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JayByrd wrote: Edited for brevity.

Now, we don't know what exactly those comments were. Maybe it was simply the language they used in conversation, or maybe there were belittling remarks directed at her. She didn't specify. She also didn't say that it was evil or criminal or that her male co-workers were terrible people. Just that it made her uncomfortable. Is she wrong to admit that?

We also don't know at what level she becomes "uncomfortable". Her level of comfort may be drastically different from others. The same could be said about different ethnic origins or religions.
Bring back the LIKE button.
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

Pretty silly if you ask me. I have worked with plenty of women and had some as my superiors, who cares? I did not see any men treating them any different. Most of us are fine with who ever as long as they are good at their job male or female. There is no right to inclusion in social groups. She is an attractive young lady, something must be quite off putting in her personality if none of the guys want to invite her out with them. That just does not compute. This is one of the fundamental differences with men and females. She obviously sees not being invited out her mind as some kind of sexism. A guy just would not be bothered or care to think about that. I work with mostly women now and they go out and don't invite me, so what! They also catcall me and flirt with me and just like a guy, I don't feel offended or make anything out of it. People need to stop being such tender little snowflakes. The minute you act like that or whine about it guess what? I don't want anything to do with you either lol. The minute I hear the first tidbit of feminism or gender this or that our conversation is over period and I erase the person from my life as somebody that I will engage with. You have the right to say what you want and I have the right to walk away. I encourage anyone who is sick and tired of this progressive BS to do the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just because you have worked in the same building does not mean you have had time to interact socially with co-workers.
To go for a Beer once in awhile can be relaxing and fun as well as nothing was said about these guys being married, have families or whatever. A break from that once in awhile is good for a person too. Not to overdo it of course.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

tantor wrote:Pretty silly if you ask me. I have worked with plenty of women and had some as my superiors, who cares? I did not see any men treating them any different. Most of us are fine with who ever as long as they are good at their job male or female. There is no right to inclusion in social groups. She is an attractive young lady, something must be quite off putting in her personality if none of the guys want to invite her out with them. That just does not compute.

Furthermore, just what year is this and where are we? Women have been fighting for, and gaining rights for some time now. Why does she assume she is being excluded? Has she ever thought of just asking "hey guys, mind if I come along?"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ka-El wrote:
tantor wrote: Why does she assume she is being excluded? Has she ever thought of just asking "hey guys, mind if I come along?"

Or if she knows where they are going then just show up. If there is a reason they don't want to include her then they will either tell her or go somewhere else next time.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

remember, anything and everything that is not perfect for a women in the workplace is deemed sexism and discrimination.
When its the other way around, like regularly, its nothing more than the girls going out, or girls being girls.
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

As a female, I never made a career choice based on how many men were in the industry. I have made career choices based on my personal interests. It turns out, that there is a lot of social science to back up my suspicions...women tend not to be interested in going into the trades. Are there a rare few who are? Sure. But for the most part, any affirmative action plan trying to drum up females to sign up for the trades is anti-feminism...it would essentially be trying to encourage women to do what they don't really want to do to begin with. And so, feminism has come full circle.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

zoo wrote:remember, anything and everything that is not perfect for a women in the workplace is deemed sexism and discrimination.
When its the other way around, like regularly, its nothing more than the girls going out, or girls being girls.

you noticed that too did you.. :up:

Return to “Social Concerns”