Offensive Christmas card

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Mordu
Board Meister

Re: Offensive Christmas card

Post by Mordu »

normaM wrote:I have send some offense ( yet funny) Christmas Cards to friends and fam.. would never has sent them out Corp or to clients
Given the current climate -MeToo for example) was in bad taste.
Dad probably pushed the blame on to his daughter to avoid losing (more) business.

If that’s the case then in the name of ‘sacred social justice’ I hope Kirman (the activist in the article, video, and on the facebook page) will offer Haley Streu and the rest of the family a safe place to talk about it.

http://sacredsocialjustice.blogspot.com ... music.html

I see four women and one man in that picture who may have benifited from a 'reaching out' before 'social justice' was leveled on them. And the women's movement may have also benifited from possibly turning this into a positive story of sucessful councelling and a winning over of support.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

vegas1500 wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:I think the whole family needs to go for counselling. So that they can learn to allow each one to have their say, take turns, listen to what the other is saying. That way they don't need to make passive aggressive "jokes" about shutting up the women, or letting the Dad have a say too.

Clearly the family knows how to have fun and enjoy a joke.....something you may want to learn. Their only mistake was sending it to clients. I can’t even believe this made the news......

You missed the humor in my comment. You might want to learn how to have fun and enjoy a joke.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

OKkayak wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:I think the whole family needs to go for counselling. So that they can learn to allow each one to have their say, take turns, listen to what the other is saying. That way they don't need to make passive aggressive "jokes" about shutting up the women, or letting the Dad have a say too.

They don't need "counselling". Fortunately, some people on this planet still have a sense of humour :135:

And yet you missed the humor in my comment. Gee, people need to lighten up.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

dirtybiker wrote:So I guess my Christmas cards won't go over too well...

Picture...Angelic scene on the front
text of; "Jesus Loves You"

Open, and inside,
text: "Everyone else thinks your an A---hole"

Depends entirely on the type of relationship you have with the person receiving it. If you are both good friends, and enjoy a laugh over that kind of comment, it would be funny. If it was someone you don't know so well, or they don't know your style of humor, could be a small disaster.

Same principle for the original card posted, if those receiving it understand this family's type of humor, and don't take it seriously, they would find it funny. If it's someone who doesn't know the inside joke of the family, they might be confused or take it seriously.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
And yet you missed the humor in my comment. Gee, people need to lighten up.

I'll admit it, I did not see any humour in your comment. However, I have re-read your post and still can't seem to find the joke. So, what's the joke?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
You missed the humor in my comment. You might want to learn how to have fun and enjoy a joke.

There was no joke.

Just admit it was you just being the same old insufferable SSQ.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:

Open, and inside,

Depends entirely on the type of relationship you have with the person receiving it. If you are both good friends, and enjoy a laugh over that kind of comment, it would be funny. If it was someone you don't know so well, or they don't know your style of humor, could be a small disaster.

Same principle for the original card posted, if those receiving it understand this family's type of humor, and don't take it seriously, they would find it funny. If it's someone who doesn't know the inside joke of the family, they might be confused or take it seriously.

Bingo that’s kinda the problem right there isn’t it? People have forgotten what funny is or what a joke is. People take themselves so seriously and grasp at anything to fuel their fabricated political correct righteous indignation. Not offended by something during the course of a day…you’re just not trying hard enough.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that Dwight Streu is not the CEO of Exxon. His ‘corporate’ client list whom received this card are home owner whom he had a relationship with. People like you and I. And I think its hands down one of the funniest damn Christmas card I have ever seen.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Clearly the family knows how to have fun and enjoy a joke.....something you may want to learn. Their only mistake was sending it to clients. I can’t even believe this made the news.....

i guess i did, just like the others......clearly you need to know how to make a joke. Trust me, i know how to have fun.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You know how to have fun now? I certainly hope so :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's like anything that anyone finds offensive...don't look and you won't feel that way. :smt045
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

LMAO what?

Women talk a lot.

That's the joke.

It's a fact. Women talk more than men. Why do you think there are MULTIPLE mid day shows where all it is, is a bunch of women sitting around talking. Hell, one of them is called THE TALK.

Women have been trying to get their men to open up more for centuries. To talk about their feelings. To listen to THEM talk.

oneh2obabe wrote:
Whether you agree with his sense of humour or not - family and friends might understand the message - is it appropriate for a professional to send to clients?

That's the real issue IMO. That's fine to share with family or friends who know you... not very smart to send it to EVERYONE, where you know it will make someone angry and you know it's going to cause backlash. Maybe he believes in the "no press is bad press" ideology
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

yah - and when you're sane, it must be exhausting having to be a psychologist at every little move.

...i wouldn't know.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

fvkasm2x wrote:That's the real issue IMO. That's fine to share with family or friends who know you... not very smart to send it to EVERYONE, where you know it will make someone angry and you know it's going to cause backlash. Maybe he believes in the "no press is bad press" ideology

I disagree. The real issue is that we, as a society, have gotten to the point where we have to "tip-toe" because something thats seen to the vast majority of the population as funny, could be "offensive" to the minority.
Mordu
Board Meister

Post by Mordu »

Just thought I’d check on the Streus.

Looks like they’ve skipped the country—gone south for the winter.

“Calling all Realtors®! Calling all Realtors®! Be on the lookout for offensive Christmas card family!”

“Canadian Realtor under fire over Christmas card

http://paronline.com/canadian-realtor-u ... tmas-card/
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Open, and inside,

Can I use that next year ?????
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”