Adults Only

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Adults Only

Post by kgcayenne »

FairlyKnew wrote:Why is it that kids don't just cry anymore? They all seem to scream or shriek at the top of their lungs for extended periods of time. Plane rides can be excruciating. It seems like parents don't even notice anymore. It ruins plane rides, dinners out, shopping, etc. My children were always removed from the situation if they became a problem, but even so, they never screamed like the kids do now.

No one is allowed to say things like:

I. Will. Give. You. Something. To. Cry. About. If. You. Keep. It. Up.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

kgcayenne wrote:
No one is allowed to say things like:

I. Will. Give. You. Something. To. Cry. About. If. You. Keep. It. Up.

What's funny is that seemed to be used by many parents in many languages. My parents are French and would say a very similar version to me. The direct translation was basically: If you keep that up, things are going to go very badly for you!

I also dated an Italian and apparently it was a common thing in their house growing up as well.

And it worked! I tested my folks and pushed their buttons one day, and things did go very badly.
...and I never, ever did that again.

My Italian friend got a beating with the wooden spoon. He never did it again either.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

airplanes are another place kids should be banned from nothing like a 17 hour flight with a child screaming and kicking your seat for 16 of those hours :swear:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

FairlyKnew wrote:Why is it that kids don't just cry anymore? They all seem to scream or shriek at the top of their lungs for extended periods of time. Plane rides can be excruciating. It seems like parents don't even notice anymore. It ruins plane rides, dinners out, shopping, etc. My children were always removed from the situation if they became a problem, but even so, they never screamed like the kids do now.

Thank you. I thought I was the one and only who is fed up with the evil shrill-screeching that has been adopted by young girls and boys alike. It seems to have started about 5 years ago. Why?? It sounds like pigs being slaughtered. Those brats could be used for ambulance sirens.

It seems to be everywhere now....in stores, at the lake, holiday resorts, restaurants. That high pitched shrill-screech literally brings me to my knees. I wish parents would wake up to realize that others do not enjoy being deafened by their spawn.

Do not misunderstand me. I like well behaved kids as much as I like well behaved dogs.

I am considering carrying a slingshot :-X
Last edited by Catsumi on Jan 4th, 2019, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

To aim at parents not parenting,
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Catsumi wrote:
Thank you. I thought I was the one and only who is fed up with the evil shrill-screeching that has been adopted by young girls and boys alike. It seems to have started about 5 years ago. Why?? It sounds like pigs being slaughtered. Those brats could be used for ambulance sirens.

It seems to be everywhere now....in stores, at the lake, holiday resorts, restaurants. That high pitched shrill-screech literally brings me to my knees. I wish parents would wake up to realize that others do not enjoy being deafened by their spawn.

Do not misunderstand me. I like well behaved kids as much as I like well behaved dogs.

I agree! That sound makes my ovaries shrivel up and blow away like tumbleweeds.
FairlyKnew
Fledgling

Post by FairlyKnew »

The reason I posted originally was because we have noticed it more and more in the last few years and wondered why it was happening. The kids not only shriek at the top of their lungs when they are upset, but they do it when they are playing. It gets to the point that I try to ignore it (almost impossible) and I often wonder what would happen if a child actually needed help and was screaming for help while no one paid any attention. Cry wolf scenario. I agree, it is ear piercing and the parents really are being disrespectful of everyone else in the nearby few miles.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

What irks me is when I complain, their already deaf parents say "they're playing, having fun"

Why is it that fun cannot be had any more without high pitched endless squealing? I have nothing against them being loud, yelling and hollering, but not shrieks.

Just spent time in Mexico at the beach where one kid squealed each and every time a wave came in. I was thinking, where is a tsunami when you need one?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

How did you remove your children from a plane ride?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Was on a plane the other week, one unhappy little tyke, not
misbehaving, just, well..not happy.
Good thing I had a nice close seat and visual line of sight.
I gave him a few business cards out of my wallet, then questioned him
on animals that were in advertisements in a magazine.
Played peak a boo.

Kept him if not entertained, distracted enough to be quiet.
I'm not sure if the Momma unit was relieved or concerned,
but, a few passengers thanked me after the flight for paying
the little man some attention and keeping him busy.

Trust me, I didn't want to be cooped up with all the noise either.

Sorry for getting a wheel off the track.

:topic:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I went to a quiet restaurant with my kids and across the place was a couple slob mothers with a toddler and a 4 year old . The kid made shrill squeals about every 90 seconds . The mother saw no problem with it and let it happen and repeatedly had to pick up clanging silverware off the floor . At one point the mom asked in a loud soothing voice “ whats wrooooong ?” Further teaching the kid that its behavior is acceptable. I’ve never been back . I know the restaurant wasnt happy they were there . Was terrible .
Its notthe kids fault obviously they are trained that way . No class .
Strong and free
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Having to experience persistently loud or screaming kids is a direct result of inconsiderate, lazy parents. If your kid is crying or acting up, pull him out of the chair and take him outside instead of telling everyone, giving you that withering stare,: “He’s just cranky”. Yeah we can see that. And you are just useless. Deal with this behavior now and you’re likely to not have to deal with that in an environment where you can’t leave. Like a plane where everyone is trapped with your personal parenting ineptitude. Teaching your child to be well behaved in public was a no brainer in my parent’s house hold as it became so in mine. If you are not doing that you are too lazy to do the job and you might as well just stay home. Forever. These ‘parents’ disgust me way more than their children, and they are raising the next generation to be the same useless parenting units that they are.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
FairlyKnew
Fledgling

Post by FairlyKnew »

Everyone needs to take their kids places sometimes, but as a rule, they don't have to go everywhere. We did not take our children on planes until they were able to deal with everything involved in travelling. In the car, we entertained them by playing games, etc. so they wouldn't get bored. They didn't get to go to high end restaurants with us until they could act appropriately. They grew up to be caring, respectful adults.

On a plane a while back, we had to sit on the tarmack while a child screamed. The delay was because they had trouble fitting all the strollers into the plane. Looks like there are a lot of babies travelling now.

I applaud dirtybiker for helping a situation out on his plane ride. I'm sure the other passengers were very grateful. It is pure torture being subjected to shrill shrieks while being trapped with nowhere to go.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I doubt I'd go anywhere that kids were banned .. Doesn't work for me .

The places I like to go to relax are the ones that , oddly enough , allow kids ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It is valuable to even ‘have’ a choice.

It seems today, though, avoiding obnoxiousness is difficult; most people can’t even escape it in retreating to their own homes given obnoxious vehicles and behaviour that permeates society today.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Social Concerns”