Narcan implant?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Narcan implant?

Post by TylerM4 »

Just throwing this out there. What about some sort of an implant that would slowly release Narcan for 30-90days?

Basically - you get the implant if you're looking to get clean. When you "relapse" it doesn't actually turn into a relapse because the Narcan is in your system already and will hopefully get you past that critical 1st period when withdraw symptoms are at their greatest.

I'm sure a bunch of Narcan isn't good for you, but there's been no documented health impacts from "too much narcan" and it can't be any worse than the smack these people are injecting...
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Narcan implant?

Post by youjustcomplain »

TylerM4 wrote:Just throwing this out there. What about some sort of an implant that would slowly release Narcan for 30-90days?

Basically - you get the implant if you're looking to get clean. When you "relapse" it doesn't actually turn into a relapse because the Narcan is in your system already and will hopefully get you past that critical 1st period when withdraw symptoms are at their greatest.

I'm sure a bunch of Narcan isn't good for you, but there's been no documented health impacts from "too much narcan" and it can't be any worse than the smack these people are injecting...

For that matter, a external naloxone application mounted somewhere on your skin with a sensor that reads your heart and breathing rate. If heart and breathing rate depress below what would be expected during sleep, then a dose of naloxone is administered automatically and the device goes into alarm.

The alarm would be audible, and while in alarm, the device would send the device owners vitals to 911 dispatch along with the GPS coordinates.

It's 2019. Time for a little more automation. :)
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I'm with the OP. You will get clean because the drug is reversed upon entry to your system.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

TylerM4 wrote:Just throwing this out there. What about some sort of an implant that would slowly release Narcan for 30-90days?

From what has been portrayed in news reports, addicts who are recovered using Narcan can be upset with the outcome, one stating that he would have preferred to die rather than be "saved".
Waste not
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Grandan wrote:From what has been portrayed in news reports, addicts who are recovered using Narcan can be upset with the outcome, one stating that he would have preferred to die rather than be "saved".

I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. It's true, they're often very upset and angry. Sometimes that anger leads to violence and horrible insults, etc. How does this impact the idea of using Narcan implants?

I'm not suggesting that this be forced on people - that would never get through our legal system. Needs to be a voluntary thing.

Return to “Social Concerns”