Where's Everyone Planning to Move Now that Kelowna Sucks?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Where's Everyone Planning to Move Now that Kelowna Sucks?

Post by the truth »

put-for-dough wrote: Apr 23rd, 2022, 2:40 pm Definitely leaving this year after 30 years, has turned into a real crummy place with no thought for hospitals, schools, or roads etc, Just build, build, build. Mass exodus, let the rich live here with no one to work in their hospitals, restaurants etc. Latest numbers even say immigrants do not want to come here, too expensive with low wages, high rents , high taxes, no daycare etc.
the real truth, that no one wants to talk about :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Bsuds wrote: Apr 25th, 2022, 11:17 am
kgcayenne wrote: Apr 25th, 2022, 10:46 am …and you can lose it all with one health crisis that your insurer refuses to cover.

:up: :up:

Exactly. I lived in the US and don't mind visiting but wouldn't live there again.
Me too. I love Canada and I LOVE Kelowna.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Smaller Kootney towns
OKsells

Post by OKsells »

What about the Sunshine Coast? Sechelt or Gibsons? Wonder how that part of BC compares to Kelowna, Nelson etc.
Never been there myself but just watched the New Beachcombers show haha now I want to check the area out!
Im sure it's not all as rosy as the show portrays it.
Anybody have any experience living out there? Cost of living, Crime, vagrancy, jobs, retirement?
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

If people move. Good for them. Should they leave castanet. 100%.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

69cutlass wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 5:12 pm What about the Sunshine Coast? Sechelt or Gibsons? Wonder how that part of BC compares to Kelowna, Nelson etc.
Expensive to purchase a house I believe. Gas perhaps a bit more. Sunshine coast like Kelowna, Gulf Islands, Comox south to Victoria, East Kootenay's have all been " discovered" by the wealthy retirees.

Toulameen, perhaps Princeton, Coalmont, Keremeous might be half ways affordable on a household income of $60,000.00 or so.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

OKsells wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 3:56 am What about the Sunshine Coast? Sechelt or Gibsons? Wonder how that part of BC compares to Kelowna, Nelson etc.
Never been there myself but just watched the New Beachcombers show haha now I want to check the area out!
Anybody have any experience living out there? Cost of living, Crime, vagrancy, jobs, retirement?
Used to travel that country for work, and as a tourist.

These words say it all, BC FERRIES.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

For all of you leaving in this mass exodus... Thank you. When I drive though town, it'll be like a ghost town. I'm actually really looking forward to this.
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

youjustcomplain wrote: Jul 27th, 2022, 7:15 am For all of you leaving in this mass exodus... Thank you. When I drive though town, it'll be like a ghost town. I'm actually really looking forward to this.
Their theory is that when people leave, they'll only be replaced by rich people. Rich people drive cars, too. And they'll probably drive like they're in no hurry to get anywhere since they're not driving to a job.

~
OKsells

Post by OKsells »

bb49 wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 10:43 pm
OKsells wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 3:56 am What about the Sunshine Coast? Sechelt or Gibsons? Wonder how that part of BC compares to Kelowna, Nelson etc.

BC Ferries aside, I assume it's a great place to live and work?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

OKsells wrote: Jul 30th, 2022, 6:51 pm
bb49 wrote: Jul 26th, 2022, 10:43 pm

BC Ferries aside, I assume it's a great place to live and work?
It works BOTH ways . Some people on the Island LOVE the ferries for the same reason people on the mainland hate them .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

OKsells wrote: Jul 30th, 2022, 6:51 pm BC Ferries aside, I assume it's a great place to live and work?
You assume correctly from people I know that have moved up that way. A couple of them have retired up there so work is not an issue but their son is very busy in the trades.
Different weather than here of course. House prices have climbed substantially the past few years. Seems like the hospital serves the 30,000 in the area pretty well. : https://www.sechelthospitalfoundation.o ... ospital-2/

The single lane hwy can be a big pain during tourist season, but that is the same pretty much everywhere.

Most expensive to least I believe: https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Real-Est ... Coast.html

Edit to add: Drove up from Penticton Yesterday to do a Costco run and visit a couple of other places Penticton does not offer.( KMS for example) Yes, in my mind, Kelowna does suck. Little city with big city problems. Think I made 2 lights with 1 cycle, most were two cycles before moving through. Once every few months is enough.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
TheBanHammer

Re: Where's Everyone Planning to Move Now that Kelowna Sucks

Post by TheBanHammer »

vinnied wrote: May 12th, 2019, 9:49 am "If you build it, they will come"
Welcome to kelowna 2019!
You must be referring to Hearthstone.
TheBanHammer

Post by TheBanHammer »

youjustcomplain wrote: Jul 27th, 2022, 7:15 am For all of you leaving in this mass exodus... Thank you. When I drive though town, it'll be like a ghost town. I'm actually really looking forward to this.
Bahahahahaha everyone knows for every one that leaves 2 more lights get added to Harvey and Springfeild. Heck in a few more years it will feel more like you are bleeding your brakes than driving.
0g0p0g0
Fledgling

Re: Where's Everyone Planning to Move Now that Kelowna Sucks

Post by 0g0p0g0 »

southy wrote: May 11th, 2019, 7:17 pm Try Nelson! Beautiful - everything you need - peaceful - nice people - lake - mountains - peace loving hippies - biking - skiing - great arts community - live theatre - progressive city council - creative chamber of commerce - wonderful Baker Street - train - great parks - good medical facilities - close to the border should you choose - clean air - great restaurants and nothing compared to what goes on in downtown Kelowna - I did mention peace loving hippies - big difference. :130:
(we really need a toke emoji) Especially when talking about Nelson :biggrin: .
Yeah no thanks. Progressive council? fail. Toke emoji? Fail.

Return to “Social Concerns”