Not all homeless are bad people

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Not all homeless are bad people

Post by stuphoto »

Yesterday I googled up Rebecca Twigg, a former US Olympic medal winner.
Back in the 80's and 90's she was one of the most recognizable and respected cyclists in the world.

It turns out that she has been homeless in Seattle for the last 5 years.
Here is her story
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... n-seattle/

My point being that if someone like Rebecca can end up on the street it can happen to almost anyone.
Plus if it does it doesn't necessarily make you a bad person.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Not all homeless are bad people

Post by GordonH »

Homelessness can happen to anyone, the 1 group that really gets me p/o'ed is our veterans.
impo no veteran should ever end up homeless.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:Homelessness can happen to anyone, the 1 group that really gets me p/o'ed is our veterans.
impo no veteran should ever end up homeless.

I wholeheartedly agree. They risked their lives for us to have a home.
Bring back the LIKE button.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

While not all are bad people, this individual certainly has a long pattern of some very poor decisions in life.
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Lots get lost in a world of drugs and alcohol. Especially ones that were the limelight of the party. Some come through unscathed others get sucked down the toilet. It’s a personal decision with no one else to blame but oneself.
Last edited by t76turbo on Jul 4th, 2019, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Just seen a guy yesterday. Hes been on and off the streets. In and out of jail. Used to own a house. Gave him a ride somewhere. Poor guy. Kills me to see him living like that.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

of course they aren't, but that is the pitfall of using a generalizing term to label the group.
Some are truly homeless, others are choosing to live in boxes, they can't be treated the same
We need a name for the true hard luck stories that would improve their own situation if given the chance.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't know what to think.
I just gave a large bag of empties to a homeless lady in what looked to be mid 60's . I wasn't sure what I'd be in for when I yelled if she was interested in some empties but found out possibly the nicest person I've run into in ages. She asked my name and dogs name small chit chat - her eyes clear and didn't appear under the influence or smelled like liquor.
I actually left kinda feeling crappy that she was out there. I don't know what to assume maybe burnt all her bridges with mental disorders bipolar? Schizophrenia? ???. I just can't imagine anyone without some disorder not being able to get a room with a friend etc .
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

jimmy4321 wrote:I don't know what to think.
I just gave a large bag of empties to a homeless lady in what looked to be mid 60's . I wasn't sure what I'd be in for when I yelled if she was interested in some empties but found out possibly the nicest person I've run into in ages. She asked my name and dogs name small chit chat - her eyes clear and didn't appear under the influence or smelled like liquor.
I actually left kinda feeling crappy that she was out there. I don't know what to assume maybe burnt all her bridges with mental disorders bipolar? Schizophrenia? ???. I just can't imagine anyone without some disorder not being able to get a room with a friend etc .

Are you sure she is homeless? There are stats out now that the last thing a senior will give up is their home. It makes sense especially if it is mortgage free. Sometimes seniors have to collect bottles and cans to supplement a very low pension in order to eat and pay for utilities and prescriptions, but at least they are not paying rent. They should get a mortgage you say? Well then they'd have to come up with the money for a mortgage/rent. Freedom 55 is a joke, the banks robbing from seniors who will need that money when they go to a nursing home and end stage life.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Was someone saying they were?

Return to “Social Concerns”