What would you do if this happened to you?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: What would you do if this happened to you?

Post by mexi cali »

JayByrd wrote:
Queen K wrote:This is bringing back memories of the last play I attended.

Mary Irwin Theater: Scent-free zone, plastered three times on their doors, different areas.
Woman sitting two people down from us: hosed down with perfume so strong made the eyes water.

I had a similar experience years ago, at that same venue. Triggered an asthma attack for my then-wife, bad enough that we finished up the evening in Emerg.

But regarding the issue in the letter...I'm a pretty big man. 6'3" and on the other side of 300 lbs. At a place like Prospera I won't take up half your seat exactly, but if I'm sitting next to someone, we're going to be up close an personal. As an obese person, what should I do? Avoid hockey games, plays, concerts, as well as buses and airplanes, as a courtesy to other people? Oh, and did I mention that at a concert with open floor seating (as in, no seats, and everyone stands), anyone lucky enough to be right behind me won't be able to see much. Should I move to the back, so as to be out of the way? This isn't a rhetorical question to make a point...I'm actually wondering where people think the boundary should be.

Good questions. I too am 6'3 and around 270. I don't often encroach but there are times when comfort is a challenge.

I don't know where the boundary should be. I am one of those who hates when something I am doing is causing discomfort too others. And not just because of my size, but because I can be downright obnoxious when I am having a good time. I tend to move around a lot at concerts and I hate sitting anyhow.

I like concerts and sporting events in a booth if possible, not that I go to that many and I hate being on planes. I always take the aisle, even at shows where I can't get a booth. It gives me quick access to get out, or get beer, or get rid of some.

When I do go to see the Rockets, I get the seats up top that you reserve. Comes with a great buffet and close to the bar and the washrooms. I don't get in anyone's way there.

I am very conscious of those around me and take pains to make sure that I am not impeding their enjoyment.

The world she be full of reasons to get pissssed off at others. The bathing in perfume is one I especially hate though.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

mexi cali wrote:
Good questions. I too am 6'3 and around 270. I don't often encroach but there are times when comfort is a challenge.

I don't know where the boundary should be. I am one of those who hates when something I am doing is causing discomfort too others. And not just because of my size, but because I can be downright obnoxious when I am having a good time. I tend to move around a lot at concerts and I hate sitting anyhow.

I like concerts and sporting events in a booth if possible, not that I go to that many and I hate being on planes. I always take the aisle, even at shows where I can't get a booth. It gives me quick access to get out, or get beer, or get rid of some.

When I do go to see the Rockets, I get the seats up top that you reserve. Comes with a great buffet and close to the bar and the washrooms. I don't get in anyone's way there.

I am very conscious of those around me and take pains to make sure that I am not impeding their enjoyment.

The world she be full of reasons to get pissssed off at others. The bathing in perfume is one I especially hate though.

I understand where you are coming from. I used to be over 240 lbs. I always felt self conscious about how my large size may cause upon others.
I always had to be mindful of ability for a patio chair to support my weight. I was always envious of those skinny girls that would sit on the edge of a glass table with confidence, especially when they had both feet off the ground and had no concerns about the table supporting them. For me, I had to look at and inspect a plastic patio chair, taking into account the wear and the age of the plastic.
Now that I am 65 lbs. lighter, I don't get invited to those patio parties any more. either they are worried about me crushing their patio furniture or getting more attention from all those skinny girls because I am thinner and better looking than they are today.
OH.....the perfume thing. The odor of perfume will cause my upper airways to constrict and create a serious medical emergency. They should outlaw that stuff. It should be in the same class as peanut butter.
Bring back the LIKE button.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Like many, I would write a letter to Castanet hoping it would be published and start a fierce thread in the forum regarding it.
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

I think I have a solution, y’all. How about every one of us who would classify as, oh how shall I put it, larger than life (yes I am in the group of awesomeness) when we decide to go to a public event, we publish a letter on castanet with our seat numbers. Fatty alert! Might want to change your seat, Sherrie! What about the person nearby on my flight who farted all the way from Halifax Calgary? That was pretty invasive. Honestly this discussion has been enormously entertaining. Where’s the cake?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It can only get better from here. We had a similar farty farterton all the way back from Mexico once. We even knew who it(most likely) was and we tried to "loud talk" admonish her all the way back.

It was disgusting.

everybody knows that 35,000 feet activates the burrito.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

AlienSoldier wrote:Like many, I would write a letter to Castanet hoping it would be published and start a fierce thread in the forum regarding it.

Well, you're in luck then.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I think he meant to type " the seats..." Also means that if you have ever flown with a outfit like Air Transat, it would be better to have no legs because there is no leg room.
Remember Wardair ?, from the days when airlines actually had to compete with each other by having leg room, good food, hot cabin crew, and a thing called 'customer service'. Businesses don't have to have customer service anymore.

Yah. Knew what he was trying to say. Just couldn't believe how he was sayin it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I'm sufficiently little, I'd fit.
I would not have much space to maneuver my huge purse, though, so I'd have to ask the large person next to me to "Oh, could you hold this for a moment, please." (hands neighbour Ziploc baggie of tampons)
When I am in a social situation, I get really nervous---really, really nervous. When I get really nervous, I am a chatterbox---I. do. not. shut. up. (then I go home and die of emotional exhaustion for days)
I have a small bladder, so I'd be getting up more than once.
I have a tendency to cross my arms. Coochie coochie cooooooo!

I have a feeling I would not be the one switching seats.

Now you know why I don't go to 'events', I go into the forest instead.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:I go into the forest instead.

Be Bear aware when looking for somewhere to pee. :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

True Story

We were at the Phil Collins show in Vegas last October. Me and the wife. A fairly large, clearly American, type sits down next to me with his arm around me leaning into me. Says, sorry, i'm a bigger guy, gonna need to put my arm around you.

I said all good, wife and I were looking for some excitement tonight anyway. Leaned over and kissed him on the cheek and invited him back to the room after. I have never seen a fat American get up and run so fast. He never returned, at least not to that seat

the extra room was great!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gman313 wrote:
I said all good, wife and I were looking for some excitement tonight anyway. Leaned over and kissed him on the cheek and invited him back to the room after. I have never seen a fat American get up and run so fast. He never returned, at least not to that seat

You would have been shocked if he was gay and said sure! :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Now that I am 65 lbs. lighter, I don't get invited to those patio parties any more. either they are worried about me crushing their patio furniture or getting more attention from all those skinny girls because I am thinner and better looking than they are today.OH.....the perfume thing. The odor of perfume will cause my upper airways to constrict and create a serious medical emergency.

Nothing is hotter or projects health and masculine virility like having a medical emergency at a party by being taken out by perfume.

Peanut/bee/perfume/shellfish allergies have got nothing to do with masculinity. removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 2nd, 2019, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack removed.
Bring back the LIKE button.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

gman313 wrote:True Story

We were at the Phil Collins show in Vegas last October. Me and the wife. A fairly large, clearly American, type sits down next to me with his arm around me leaning into me. Says, sorry, i'm a bigger guy, gonna need to put my arm around you.

Funny, but not buyin it.
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

[/quote]
Remember Wardair ?, from the days when airlines actually had to compete with each other by having leg room, good food, hot cabin crew, and a thing called 'customer service'. Businesses don't have to have customer service anymore.[/quote]

Last time I flew Air Transat I vowed it be the very last time, and it was... 1997

Wife won a trip through local radio station to the Dominican Republic, airline was Air Transat roughly 10 years ago, I wasn’t going with her in that sardine can, she took a friend!

Ward Air, I still remember, as a kid I even got tho check out the flight deck. Still have the little plastic plane I got. That was a classy airline.
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

Plane is somewhere at my parents place boxed up. Saw it few years ago while searching through boxes. When I come across it you can have it. Had a small Ward Air duffel bag too. As a family we crossed the Atlantic several time on Ward Air and Lufthansa. Planes were so spacious, 747 still had the upstairs lounge back then. Good old times!
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!

Return to “Social Concerns”