Why should we not pay 3rd world workers our pay scale

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Re: Why should we not pay 3rd world workers our pay scale

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Urban Cowboy wrote:[It's not a matter of paying a third world worker a Canadian labor rate.

It's far more about what does the rate buy you in your country.

The purchasing power of the currency should be the metric used, so if for example twenty bucks buys me a kilo of coffee here, but in Guatemala that same kilo of coffee can be purchased for five bucks, then a $5hr wage in Guatemala would be equivalent to $20hr wage here.

Perhaps a bit simplistic of an example but valid none the less. If we ensured that the Guatemala worker got paid $20hr like a Canadian worker, we'd in fact be paying them four times more than our own people earn.

That is why we should not pay 3rd world workers our pay scale.
[/quote]

Whao cowboy, worldwide trade dictates that prices are almost exactly the SAME.

Do you think food costs a whole lot less overseas in the 3rd world ? NO, maybe 30 percent less..

Yes, they may not pay as much for cooling and heating costs ? But gas is the same, and they do drive cars and motorcycles ?

Yes, they have sacrificial doctors and nurses.... so health care is a little cheaper but costs, even though we get ours basically free or at a small cost. So again, they have almost the same expenses as us....

As well as having to pay for schooling even at the elementary level.

And you post, that their wages get them about the same as us... ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE.

Its a great excuse, but untrue.

Something Canadians might ease other Canadians minds with, but untrue.

We take their talented people, their rich peoples money and have it invested HERE rather than there, we take their raw materials at cut rate prices, we sell them back high tech goods which cost them the same as ours but they cant afford them because of their low low wages.

We outsource labor because our corporations want to make more money for our rich investors, and so use cheap cheap labor overseas in poor countries because it provides slightly higher wages than most of their jobs. And you think it all balances out.

No offense, that is offensive to the struggles and plights of the poor overseas.

Have you ever been overseas ?
Equality and Love is the Lords Basic, NOT self righteousness and pride.
Creation and Design is the Lords PLAN, NOT chaos and luck
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

gman313 wrote:Back to the main topic. IMO 3rd world workers making product destined for Canada should be paid a livable wage that allows them to support their family. If you purchase cheap Chinese *bleep* from slave labour you are part of the problem, not the solution

Very true, but its not just our buying sources that are the problem, its much deeper.

If the majority of people in Canada, figured out the truths of how little overseas workers get and how HARD they have to work, and how they have to separate from their families so much, then I think our government might be forced to stop thinking only internally about our economics but how we are treating others around the world.

Canada used to have a reputation of being considerate and kind and helpful, but now it seems we have gotten the capitalistic greed going so much by comparing ourselves with the rich, rather than with normal people around the world. And normal people around the world are not having it easy, and they need our help in multiple ways.
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

alanjh595 wrote:
Our estimate of a living wage for August 2015 is RMB 2,508 per month (RMB 115 per day) for areas
of Shenzhen with concentrations of manufacturing industrial parks. Taking all mandatory deductions
into account, our estimate of a gross living wage is RMB 2,818 per month (RMB 130 per day) for
permanent workers. This is approximately equal to $440 per month and $20 per day1 In this report,
we estimate our living waged based on a 21.75 day work month, which is in accordance with the
minimum-wage guarantee system in Shenzhen for 2015.

https://www.globallivingwage.org/wp-con ... eport1.pdf

1 Canadian Dollar equals 5.27 Chinese Yuan

Cost of living in China is 40.50% lower than in Canada (aggregate data for all cities, rent is not taken into account). Rent in China is 43.19% lower than in Canada (average data for all cities).

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c ... ntry=China

Statistics can be a con game, when not used properly, as politicians etc.. use it for advantage sake rather than for clarity and discernment

What is the hourly wage in China?

As of 2018, the minimum wage per hour in Hebei province had reached between 14 and 17 yuan, depending on the district. Monthly minimum wage figures on China can be found here. Note: 1 yuan equals approximately 0.15 U.S. dollars and 0.13 euros (as of April 2019).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... by_country

After looking through these figures, how can anyone say we or the West values third world laborer and labor the same as local labor
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

Davidjayjordan wrote:
Our clothes, our shoes, many of our vegetables come by impoverishing the poor workers. We think they get a bit more than other poor, or that we give them at least a type of work, and we would sit back and tap our selves on the back.

I say its not enough, equality is equality

There are many high end name brand products produced in China, and third world countries where worker are paid low wages in what are essentially sweat shops. I think of Ivanka Trump right away, but there are many others like her. We should educate ourselves and look at the tags on products we buy, where were they made? Are they made in places that have workshops where workers are paid only the minimum and work in conditions that are inhumane? There are many services provided by third world countries. Next time you talk to a telemarketer or service rep in another country ask what country they are in. Telus as an example, but other corporations too, have bought service centres in several 3rd world countries so it could pay less in wages and increase their profits and dividends to investors. At the same time it closed it's centres in Canada that were providing living wages to Canadians.

This has been the result of lobbying from "Global Multinational Corporations" and their push and messaging for a "Global Economy" for many years. The lower income people, the poor, in 3rd world countries and 1st world countries are the ones who are really bearing the brunt, as the rich get richer. It is not raising living standards of the poor in 3rd world countries as much as raising the living standard and wealth of the rich, it is exploiting the poor of those countries, and in some cases it is lowering the wages or availability of jobs in 1st world countries.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Isn't it a matter of China or India or where ever, regulating these manufacturers in their own country? They could easily say to manufacturers, you must pay x number of dollars as minimum wage, if you want to set up shop in our country and use our labor. This is what happens in Canada, this is how we get some kind of basic wage here (even if it is very difficult for people to manage on). I am pretty sure employers would be happy to pay half as much in wages, if the law would allow it.

Each area in China sets its own minimum wage, according to local living costs: "Currently, the highest minimum wages are in parts of Guangdong, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang provinces, which have all surpassed the RMB 2,000 (US$289) mark, as well as in the municipalities of Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Tianjin.

Shanghai continues to have the highest minimum wage in China, at RMB 2,480 (US$358) per month, followed by Shenzhen and Beijing, both at RMB 2,200 (US$318) per month.

At the lowest end, the minimum wage in certain areas of Guangxi province is RMB 1,000 (US$145), with rural areas in Liaoning (RMB 1,120/US$162), Hunan (RMB 1,130/US$163), and Anhui (RMB 1,150/US$166) slightly higher.
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Isn't it a matter of China or India or where ever, regulating these manufacturers in their own country? They could easily say to manufacturers, you must pay x number of dollars as minimum wage, if you want to set up shop in our country and use our labor. This is what happens in Canada, this is how we get some kind of basic wage here (even if it is very difficult for people to manage on). I am pretty sure employers would be happy to pay half as much in wages, if the law would allow it.

Each area in China sets its own minimum wage, according to local living costs: "Currently, the highest minimum wages are in parts of Guangdong, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang provinces, which have all surpassed the RMB 2,000 (US$289) mark, as well as in the municipalities of Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Tianjin.

Shanghai continues to have the highest minimum wage in China, at RMB 2,480 (US$358) per month, followed by Shenzhen and Beijing, both at RMB 2,200 (US$318) per month.

At the lowest end, the minimum wage in certain areas of Guangxi province is RMB 1,000 (US$145), with rural areas in Liaoning (RMB 1,120/US$162), Hunan (RMB 1,130/US$163), and Anhui (RMB 1,150/US$166) slightly higher.

My point HEREIN, is not to blame other countries for not lifting their minimum wage, but to ask ourselves if we think our work is equal to their work. Are we all not human, and if so, why are WE not doing more to pass on this concept or truth to others, rather than US, excusing our high standard of living and work wages on our supposed high natural resources, work ethic, etc....

I am saying we rich countries steal from the poor countries their talent, wealth, and resources. WE impoverish directly and indirectly and then sit back in snugness, so called counting our blessings as if God himself gave us our good life style and is punishing the poor for their poor poverty stricken live styles.

China, is semi industrialized, and hardly a very good comparison, even though their 300 dollars or so a month wage, is not comparable to our median wage of around 1500 dollars per employee earnings. We earn 5 times what these Chinese workers make, and maybe 20 times what other less industrialized 3rd world workers make. Is that fair, when the effort is the same..

And please don't say capitalism is the best form of government possible, as all countries are capitalistic, there are no more communist countries, money makes the world go around...

Russia is a capitalistic country, China is a capitalistic country.

In the Great HEREAFTER, there will be a great balancing... and the majority of the rich will be seen to be poor and many of the poor RICH. For they have endured poverty with honor and faith whereas the rich lived lavishingly... as with Lazarus parable
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Davidjayjordan wrote:In the Great HEREAFTER, there will be a great balancing... and the majority of the rich will be seen to be poor and many of the poor RICH. For they have endured poverty with honor and faith whereas the rich lived lavishingly... as with Lazarus parable

Just had to put in the "great hereafter" part? Couldn't let it go? It's all about the after death thing?
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The whole reason goods & clothing manufacturing moved to southeast Asia (which goes from China to Pakistan). Was for cheap overhead costs, so products would be at a reasonable price point in north America.
If these items were manufactured here the price would be considerable higher due to wages & other overhead.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

GordonH wrote:The whole reason goods & clothing manufacturing moved to southeast Asia (which goes from China to Pakistan). Was for cheap overhead costs, so products would be at a reasonable price point in north America.
If these item were manufactured here the price would be considerable higher due to wages.

Not totally true. There were shirts made in Edmonton until recently. Gildan was a titan.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:The whole reason goods & clothing manufacturing moved to southeast Asia (which goes from China to Pakistan). Was for cheap overhead costs, so products would be at a reasonable price point in north America.
If these item were manufactured here the price would be considerable higher due to wages.

Country plough boy wrote:Not totally true. There were shirts made in Edmonton until recently. Gildan was a titan.
Compared to 30+ years ago we make very little in textile industry

Any electronics built in north America i.e cellphone, tv's etc
Clothing manufacturing was huge in Canada, not anymore.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

alanjh595 wrote:
Davidjayjordan wrote:In the Great HEREAFTER, there will be a great balancing... and the majority of the rich will be seen to be poor and many of the poor RICH. For they have endured poverty with honor and faith whereas the rich lived lavishingly... as with Lazarus parable

Just had to put in the "great hereafter" part? Couldn't let it go? It's all about the after death thing?

Yes, always add one truth to another, so as to get somewhere and develop a conclusion.

Social concerns is about us beiong concerned about others..and that means our neighbors whether across the road or across the world. Its called justice and fairness, which is what I am writing about, so that other neighbors of ours around the world get more of a justice and fairness wage coming to them... because eventually what goes around comes around and if we set in smugness and selfishness eventually the God of fairness and justice and equality will weigh our thoughts, actions and wages.

We wont be going to the Supreme Court of Canada for fairness and equality, but there will be a reckoning.

Just my opinion, if you think we get away with unfairness, so be it, that's your opinion.
Davidjayjordan
Board Meister

Post by Davidjayjordan »

GordonH wrote:

Country plough boy wrote:Not totally true. There were shirts made in Edmonton until recently. Gildan was a titan.
Compared to 30+ years ago we make very little in textile industry

Any electronics built in north America i.e cellphone, tv's etc
Clothing manufacturing was huge in Canada, not anymore.

Exactly Gordan, . as its even hard to find a tailor or seamstress HERE as their wages are very expensive, better to buy a new article of clothing rather than repair an older one.

We directly or indirectly support an unfair wage arrangement with the poor countries as we wont pay them a reasonable wage... and so they remain in poverty.

Each market has numerous tailors over seas..... and they are talented and hard workers but get little for their efforts.

Ha, and now inundated by a certain retail outlet here that gets donations, gives a few cents to charity, then sells these used clothing back to us, and then bundles up the unsale-able ones for resell to the 3rd world. They don't give them, they sell them to the 3rd world.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Personally i think we need to stop all trade with poor nations. Anything we trade with them it just hurts us. I would be happy to see zero foreign products available here
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Country plough boy wrote:Personally i think we need to stop all trade with poor nations. Anything we trade with them it just hurts us. I would be happy to see zero foreign products available here

Would you be happy paying $60 for a Canadian made toaster, or would you choose the $14 one made in China?

Does anyone else get a vote?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Id happily pay more for quality goods. I already seek out North American made used products as they last much longer than cheap new junk

Return to “Social Concerns”