Greta Thunberg: teen activist the climate and eco crisis

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Greta Thunberg: teen activist the climate and eco crisis

Post by rustled »

Scorp wrote:rustled, why am I so interested in Greta Thunberg?

I'm learning all the time, and this forum is one way that I've tried (so far) to use to advance and satisfy that desire though picking up topics (some of them new to me) and interacting with other people--although trying to cut through the bloody dogma . . ..

I have formal advanced studies in technology and the social sciences.

I’ve studied and worked in the field of child psychology.

I worked my way up in one of the largest environmental protection agencies in the . . ..

And I’ve worked in educational television and interactive media production—involved in putting all of the above together towards researching and bringing a number of firsts to those fields.

Oh, and I hate politics. It frustrates progress (you know: science, social science, critical reasoning, emotional intellegence . . .). That’s why I got *bleep* ed off earlier and may just *bleep* off from this forum for good. *bleep*, I really am a Scorpio.

My additional favorite threads here have been: the one on the Standing Committee on Online Hate, and the one on Jessica Yaniv.

And I actually know what intersectionality means (yet another thread I’m on). And woe betide America if the intersectionality of Greta Thunberg for what she is and what she stands for and the intersectionality of her peers on several levels representing other grievances in that country really converges and gets to rolling. The might that could be stacked against them may be fearsomely formidable . . ..

Oh now, "squirrel," I have yet to Google Gretta today . . ..

----------------------------------------------------------------

So, how 'bout you, rustled?

Me? Got in trouble as a teen for activism, volunteered heavily in the community as a young and middle aged adult, helped bring recycling to out community (and then realized it made people too reliant on recycling to bother with reducing or reusing, oops), volunteered and worked with autistic children and kids struggling with home life and kids from the local reserve, trying to give them a leg up. Basically driven by the notion we're all here to make a positive difference in the world, but realized after a couple of decades and a couple of terrific blunders that we do not always know what we are doing, and our do-gooding can do more harm than good.

Now believe we're better off focusing on practical, measurable change that adds up. Relatively low key conservation story from yesterday, bigger and more courageous initiatives like Malala's. Teens and children absolutely can make a difference.

Engage in forums to try to figure out why others believe what they do, reassess my own assumptions, and share my concerns. Frustrated by people who don't agree with something I've posted getting all HTT and B&W snooty/ snarky /nasty and for some bizarre reason turning every thread on this topic into a peeing match about "ulterior motives" as though everyone must have one, and "sides" as though everyone must pick one, but still figure if none of us with a broader perspective speak up, those with the narrow focus will be getting carte blanche to champion causes that steamroll the poor "for the greater good". Small potatoes, Castanet, but maybe...

Still firmly believe most people here actually do want the greater good (Pollyanna?), that they simply believe in the righteousness of their cause, but seems pretty clear to me some going along with popular notions of how to solve the problems of the world will some day regret supporting missteps that did more harm than good, as I do. Hate being manipulated or lied to. Know we often do not know what we do not know.

Hence my interest in Greta Thunberg. Haven't spent the time you have watching the videos, in part because for me her story seems a sad story. Certainly hoping for a happy ending.
:130:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Holy *bleep*!

Nice to meet you. :130:

There's a bit more of my bio over here--'different' subject.

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 2#p2508446

I also have another vocation, but describing it would probably dox me. It has nothing to do with any topics here--so far :biggrin: .

Now I'll just add a bit of where I stand on the issue at hand.

Greta is not completely anti-oil (there's video evidence)--she's not that stupid. She's for reducing stupid consumption--period. I'm the same. I doubt it, but I hope the 1791's here get that.

I'm ethical oil, pro-pipeline, and marine transport. We've worked too hard and too diligently in this country, even under unethical influences, to throw all that down the toilet.

I've only openly protested on an environmental issue once, otherwise plenty of times around a boardroom table--the open one, we lost due to corrupt lobbying.

The Gretas are a hugely sad case, and in my case I never knowingly contributed to the hysteria--quite simply, that would have been a conflict of interest. But I did try to contribute to kids gaining empowerment via knowledge of the environment.

Also I think, through Greta's psychology, she latched on to a deep dive into climate change, and she feels empowered by the only thing that she feels she can do about it.

As well, she seemed to be withdrawn today, probably exhausted and overwhelmed, but she stuck to her usual behavioural routine. And like I said earlier, scanning that crowd, people may see how these kids are trying to converge on an intersectional level, and as far as I can also tell from today, they 'understand' and respect Greta in that regard.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Scorp wrote:
I'm ethical oil, pro-pipeline, and marine transport. We've worked too hard and too diligently in this country, even under unethical influences, to throw all that down the toilet.

And yes, 'unethical' includes the environmental activists' scandals that Vivian Krause is unearthing.

So I support this video.

And even if wasteful consumption (along with all of the problems it creates) is reduced around the world, it looks like our energy resources will still be in high global demand.

Scorp wrote:
"$44 trillion needed to keep up with world’s energy demands"

http://www.mining.com/web/44-trillion-n ... y-demands/

Also, (gotta give ol' Gord a plug) this book is a bit dated, and I don't agree all of the philosophy that's in it, but it's still worth a read to see how badly we're failing at looking after our own energy security.

http://orl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/270326111

Maybe I'll send a link to the e-edition to Greta so she can read it on her long, 'non-flight' trips :biggrin:
Last edited by Scorp on Sep 1st, 2019, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

All this media hysteria surrounding Global Warming hoaxtress Greta Thunberg and gun-grabbing fanatic David Hogg does serve one vital purpose… We’re reminded that all children are stupid.

You know, most cultures revere their elders. Sane cultures understand that those who have been around a while, who have lived a little, who have attended the school of hard knocks and accumulated some real world experience and the wisdom that comes with it, might just be the very people we should listen to and get some advice from.

Oh, but not our culture, not Disposable America, not a consumerist society so enamored with the shiny and new there are no more repair stores, because why get something fixed when we can just chuck out the old one and get something Shiny and New from our favorite Big Box Store Shiny & New — you know, the superstore in the shiny and new strip mall where the old man had his repair shop and there was that family restaurant we used to eat at all the time, at least until Ruby Tuesday took over the vacant lot where our kids played ball until we gave them iPhones…

By all means, let’s chuck out the elders and … listen to the children.

By all means, let’s embrace the ideas of a generation running up trillions of dollar in student loans for a useless degree before they even have a job.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Scorp wrote:Aug 29th, 2019, 10:19 am

. . . now I want to highlight what struck me most out of the videos, and this is the best feed that I found for a sample.

Seamanship: 2:36:55 – 2:38:36

And the most intimate experience of Greta out of all of the videos about her that I’ve watched.

Also, the most complete from yesterday: 2:52:42 – to end.

Plus the event at the top of the page, both of which I've been writing about.

And now it's been 'discovered' . . ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 87306.html
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Thanks Scorp, from your link.

When haters go after your looks and differences, it means they have nowhere left to go. And then you know you’re winning!

I have Asperger’s syndrome and that means I’m sometimes a bit different from the norm. And - given the right circumstances - being different is a superpower.

I'm not public about my diagnosis to "hide" behind it, but because I know many ignorant people still see it as an "illness", or something negative. And believe me, my diagnosis has limited me before. Before I started school striking I had no energy, no friends and I didn’t speak to anyone. I just sat alone at home, with an eating disorder.

All of that is gone now, since I have found a meaning, in a world that sometimes seems meaningless to so many people.

Brilliantly said.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

3:07:24 -- “We love you Greta!”

You nailed it, Poindexter! :up:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

How come nobody has mentioned that 2 crew had to be flown to New York to sail her boat back , or did I miss that ???
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

I believe so. Please hang on while I'll try to find it.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

No luck so far, but here's something I said about that aspect.

Scorp wrote:“Maxime Bernier believes in climate change, but defends argument that CO2 is just 'food for plants'”

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/m ... for-plants

“The PPC’s focus is not on debating the science but on the measures that should be taken to lower the consumption of carbon energy.”

My focus is not on debating the science either, and I agree that we should lower the consumption of carbon energy.

Kinda like Greta who says the debate is over, and then she hops a sailboat to cross the Atlantic.

Yada yada yada, 'it's carbon fiber, and then there's the crew that's flying around,' but her actual conveyance represents a lower consumption of carbon energy.

And as Max goes on to talk about, " . . . The free market, (and electric cars) the people, will find solutions and they always did in the past.”

And that's what Greta's sailing adventure is meant to illustrate.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Oh, I think I found it for you.

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... g#p2532767

1791 wrote:Her idea for a carbon-free trans-Atlantic trip has generated controversy after news broke that the sailing team that brought her to the U.S. will be flying back, as will several others who are flying from Europe to take the boat back across the Atlantic.

Thought they hated oil and gas. Must be flying on an albatross. What a bunch of hypocrites

Um, no matter, that criticism is very common, and what I said above would've still been my reply, but I think there's an article about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, I haven't found the one I'm thinking of yet, but Googling "Malizia II" brings up lots for you to choose from.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, how about 3 passengers sailing over on the Malizia II vs. 2 crew flying over on an airplane.
Last edited by Scorp on Sep 1st, 2019, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Um, no matter, that criticism is very common, and what I said above would've still been my reply, but I think there's an article about it.

Yeah Scorp .. Criticism is very common.. Hypocrisy is too , and I think this is a kid on the right track but the wrong influence ..

When she , or any other climatard suggests that the world should begin to heavily reforest , I'll pay attention .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Sorry, I was adding to my post above when you posted. I hope you'll see the nuance in my math.

"Climatard." Beautytard, LOLtard.

I guess I'm a no worriestard about that criticism eithertard. Because if anyone has been following this story then they'll see how Greta actually appreciates the attention.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

1791 wrote:All this media hysteria surrounding Global Warming hoaxtress Greta Thunberg and gun-grabbing fanatic David Hogg does serve one vital purpose… We’re reminded that all children are stupid.

You know, most cultures revere their elders. Sane cultures understand that those who have been around a while, who have lived a little, who have attended the school of hard knocks and accumulated some real world experience and the wisdom that comes with it, might just be the very people we should listen to and get some advice from.

Oh, but not our culture, not Disposable America, not a consumerist society so enamored with the shiny and new there are no more repair stores, because why get something fixed when we can just chuck out the old one and get something Shiny and New from our favorite Big Box Store Shiny & New — you know, the superstore in the shiny and new strip mall where the old man had his repair shop and there was that family restaurant we used to eat at all the time, at least until Ruby Tuesday took over the vacant lot where our kids played ball until we gave them iPhones…

By all means, let’s chuck out the elders and … listen to the children.

By all means, let’s embrace the ideas of a generation running up trillions of dollar in student loans for a useless degree before they even have a job.

Children today have better foresight than our "elders" did when they were young. Children did not put the country into debt, older generations did. Real world experience doesn't mean anything unless that experience applies to the topic of discussion. You talk about how children just purchase new consumables instead of repairing their goods and seeing the value in those goods, who do you think runs the marketing for these consumer brands? Who do you think owns the manufacturers that pump the country full of consumables for children to become obsessed with? ELDERS. We live in a time where we are constantly addressing issues that came about because of elders and their consumerism in their young day, climate change, gas shortages, plastic pollution, wildlife management, land management, housing prices, wage stagnation, currency inflation, national debt etc etc.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Brass Monkey wrote:
1791 wrote:All this media hysteria surrounding Global Warming hoaxtress Greta Thunberg and gun-grabbing fanatic David Hogg does serve one vital purpose… We’re reminded that all children are stupid.

Oh, but not our culture, not Disposable America, not a consumerist society so enamored with the shiny and new there are no more repair stores, because why get something fixed when we can just chuck out the old one and get something Shiny and New from our favorite Big Box Store Shiny & New — you know, the superstore in the shiny and new strip mall where the old man had his repair shop and there was that family restaurant we used to eat at all the time, at least until Ruby Tuesday took over the vacant lot where our kids played ball until we gave them iPhones…

By all means, let’s chuck out the elders and … listen to the children.

Children today have better foresight than our "elders" did when they were young. Children did not put the country into debt, older generations did. Real world experience doesn't mean anything unless that experience applies to the topic of discussion. You talk about how children just purchase new consumables instead of repairing their goods and seeing the value in those goods, who do you think runs the marketing for these consumer brands? Who do you think owns the manufacturers that pump the country full of consumables for children to become obsessed with? ELDERS. We live in a time where we are constantly addressing issues that came about because of elders and their consumerism in their young day, climate change, gas shortages, plastic pollution, wildlife management, land management, housing prices, wage stagnation, currency inflation, national debt etc etc.

Holy snikies :up:

And you didn't even have to bother to make it political.

Although please forgive me if I can't resist going over ground that's already been covered here regarding 1791's line of thought.

“For the right, children are supposed to function largely as symbols of a protected innocence who can be passively invoked to justify whatever evil they choose, or else as convenient fronts for op-eds whining about how anti-gun and anti-freedom of speech everyone else their age is, not as harbingers of a better world.” Tom Whyman.

http://theoutline.com/post/7880/why-do- ... i=2hyrzxfn

The whole article is well worth reading too.

Return to “Social Concerns”