Greta Thunberg: teen activist the climate and eco crisis

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

Re: Greta Thunberg: teen activist the climate and eco crisis

Post by Phil Intheblank »

A new book published in India.
[Book Review] ‘Greta Calling’ captures fear and grit with painstaking detail

https://india.mongabay.com/2022/01/book ... ng-detail/

Veteran journalist Atul Deulgaonkar’s new book, Greta Calling: Can You Hear Me? comprises an excellent compilation of facts about climate activist Greta Thunberg and her journey from a lone kid camping outside the Swedish Parliament to a global icon. The book, published in Marathi and translated to English by Madhukar Deshpande, also provides clear and concise statistics (albeit without detailed footnotes) to give the reader a clear idea of just how bad things are at the moment, in terms of climate change and politics.

<snip>
And here’s an older book that I stumbled upon while I was searching WorldCat (unsuccessfully) to see where I might buy or borrow a copy of, Greta Calling.

Get a load of the table of contents—from Donald Trump to Greta Thunberg.

And considering Dr. Dr. Daniel's lecture [icon_lol2.gif] that I posted above, it might be interesting to study the rhetoric and apply it critically to some of these speeches.

For instance, I’ve provided the easiest links to Trump and Thunberg that I could find.
Representative American speeches, 2018-2019

https://www.worldcat.org/title/represen ... ef_results

1. To the graduating class --

Commencement address to the Reed School of Media class of 2019 / Hilde Kate Lysiak --
You need to know what you believe / Stacey Adams --
Your perspective is unique / Glenn Close --
Commencement address to the 2019 Harvard Business School graduates / Michael R. Bloomberg --
Take charge of Earth: turn your fear into excitement / Bill Nye --
Letting go of the old is part of a new beginning / Angela Merkel --

2. Politics and policies --

Oval office address on immigration and border security / Donald Trump -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Oval_Office_address

Solving illegal immigration [for real] / Sonia Nazario --

Remarks by President Trump at the National Rifle Association leadership forum: law & justice / Donald Trump -- https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... llas-texas

You can hear the people in power shaking / David Hogg --
A call for action on gun control legislation (excerpt) / Cory Booker --
Trump impeachment statement / Nancy Pelosi --
Now is the time to act / John Lewis --

Remarks by President Trump on America's environmental leadership: energy & environment / Donald Trump -- https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documen ... llas-texas

3. Responses in controversial political times --

Opening statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee / Christine Blasey Ford --
Vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh / Susan Collins --
I'll be the bad guy / Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez --
Harris kicks off her Presidential campaign / Kamala Harris --
New York City campaign rally / Elizabeth Warren --
Exploring a 2020 run against Donald Trump / Bill Weld --
Hearing of former attorney to President Donald Trump / Michael Cohen --
Analyzing Trump's comments on the whistle-blower in a private meeting / by Gregory Korte, Jennifer Jacobs, and Nick Wadhams --

4. Scientists and activists --

SACNAS: National diversity in STEM conference key address / Ellen Ochoa --
Scientific integrity in federal agencies (excerpt) / Michael Halpern --

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood / Greta Thunberghttps://www.npr.org/2019/09/23/76345286 ... ion-summit

Science activation: how do we get our science used by those in power? (excerpt) / Lucy Jones --
Speech on the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing / Mike Pence --

5. Health issues --

Remarks on the HEAL initiative / Alex M. Azar II --
Remarks on individual health insurance market rates / Alex M. Azar II --
State relief and empowerment waivers: Affordable Care Act / Seema Verma --
The cost of health care / Lamar Alexander --
SAMSHSA's 2018 national survey on drug use and health (excerpt) / Elinore F. McCance-Katz --
Time for physicians to create history together / Patrice A. Harris --
Advancing health care through the lens of history : health equity / James L. Madara.
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

Greta has a new rainfrog named after her.

Pristimantis gretathunbergae was discovered in eastern Panama on the sky island of Cerro Chucantí.

And no, it has nothing to do with the mythical reignfrog Kek. [icon_lol2.gif]

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^
It doesn't look at all like her.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

Last edited by Phil Intheblank on Jan 13th, 2022, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Phil Intheblank wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 8:54 am Greta has a new rainfrog named after her.

Pristimantis gretathunbergae was discovered in eastern Panama on the sky island of Cerro Chucantí.

Well there is a resemblance there.

Poor Frog.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

Apparently it’s likely to be declared a vulnerable species due to climate change.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Phil Intheblank wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 2:57 pm Apparently it’s likely to be declared a vulnerable species due to climate change.
the fake man-made kind or the real kind of climate change caused naturally? If this species has been selected to be done, and the earth's natural climate changes are causing it, then mankind has to either save it and interfere with natural selection, or let it go through the natural species cycle. If it's a fake "vulnerable species" tag just to try and make man-made climate change a thing (like the WWF tried to do when they falsely tried to have polar bears added to the endangered species list cuz evil sky genie, even though they aren't actually endangered), then this is bogus.

I do like the self-fulfilling prophecy of falsely making species that aren't endangered endangered, just so that you can then use the reverse logic - OMG - the polar bears are endangered cuz of evil sky genie!!! No, you forced a species that wasn't endangered onto your list, just so that you could then fear monger about non-existent man-made climate change. It's just such a racket.

This is a fake photoshopped picture BTW, that was used by evil sky genie lunatics to try and sell their polar bear BS.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

:topic:

“Starving Polar Bear Images Inspired Climate Activist Greta Thunberg but Dr. Crockford Says Polar Bears are Thriving in a New Video from Friends of Science”

https://www.prweb.com/releases/starving ... 267141.htm

[icon_lol2.gif]

"Local actions contribute to population recovery"

https://wwf.ca/stories/polar-bears-canada/
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

Just like Greta, Michael Lee Aday touched many lives.

"EXCLUSIVE: Meat Loaf dead at 74: Rocker told MailOnline about his 'constant pain', ill-health, being a 'fat motherf****r' and gave expletive-filled stance on Greta Thunberg in rare chat two years before his passing"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... -pain.html
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

This contains the straightforward answer.

As well as the connection to Greta Thunberg.

“What is global warming?”

https://www.livescience.com/37003-global-warming.html
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

Biodegradable TENCEL is coming on strong in the fashion industry. :up:

"Greta Got It Right: Sustainability Reignites In 2022"

https://sourcingjournal.com/topics/raw- ... in-324885/
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

We North American consumers are encouraged to burn as much fossil fuel as possible:

- Many drive big pickup trucks, SUVs and cars to the mall to buy a few bags of groceries.
- Many flare-off natural gas in outdoor fireplaces.
- Many flare-off propane gas for our outdoor barbecues.
- Many have a new fascination with fun quads and dirt bikes ripping up the environment.
- Many live and work in excessively large and energy sucking buildings.
- Etc, etc

Forget EV’s, some of the environmental issues could be solved by simply doing with less, as done in Europe, Asia & Africa, where people get by comfortably using far less of pretty much everything. Pretty much all of North America is sucked into Texas-size consumerism, and the financial stress that comes with it. Pretty ridiculous really.
I’ve dialled back the amount I need to live with, and actually feel more comfortable.
Attachments
Why so many trucks! Many people could manage just as well with a much smaller vehicle, and save lots of gas money, while helping the environment.
Why so many trucks! Many people could manage just as well with a much smaller vehicle, and save lots of gas money, while helping the environment.
Flaring gas off in the backyard isn’t too environmentally savvy.
Flaring gas off in the backyard isn’t too environmentally savvy.
You’ve got an electric BBQ (stove) in the house to use, that doesn’t soak your food in carcinogenic burnt fuel fumes.
You’ve got an electric BBQ (stove) in the house to use, that doesn’t soak your food in carcinogenic burnt fuel fumes.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 2:03 pm
Phil Intheblank wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 2:57 pm Apparently it’s likely to be declared a vulnerable species due to climate change.
the fake man-made kind or the real kind of climate change caused naturally? If this species has been selected to be done, and the earth's natural climate changes are causing it, then mankind has to either save it and interfere with natural selection, or let it go through the natural species cycle. If it's a fake "vulnerable species" tag just to try and make man-made climate change a thing (like the WWF tried to do when they falsely tried to have polar bears added to the endangered species list cuz evil sky genie, even though they aren't actually endangered), then this is bogus.

I do like the self-fulfilling prophecy of falsely making species that aren't endangered endangered, just so that you can then use the reverse logic - OMG - the polar bears are endangered cuz of evil sky genie!!! No, you forced a species that wasn't endangered onto your list, just so that you could then fear monger about non-existent man-made climate change. It's just such a racket.

This is a fake photoshopped picture BTW, that was used by evil sky genie lunatics to try and sell their polar bear BS.
:up: :up:

In 1950, there was an estimated 5000 polar bears and the conservative estimates today are around 26,500. The polar bear is not endangered. Polar bears are adaptable and intelligent like most bears. If you believe polar bears need sea ice, then arctic ice extent is now within the interdecile range as it has been increasing for the last 10+ years. During times ice is in decline populations were increasing. The WWF commercials are hilarious. Give us your money and we'll make sure every bear will have a home. lol. You'd have to be a moron to part with your money over this. Too many lies from David Attenborough, and even Michael Mann has claimed Polar Bears are in danger but it is not his field of expertise. It is highly political since children have been taught for decades that polar bear populations are declining. Propaganda and fear are required to push new leftist policies and extract money from useful idiots. Donate all the money you want, the polar bears will continue to thrive despite your bank account. I donated $10 to the "moon goes around the earth" fund just to make sure it will continue to do this next year.

aie.png
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 4th, 2022, 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Phil Intheblank
Board Meister

Now, simply as I tried before to bring this thread :topic: here's a meaningful and heartfelt testimony to Greta Thunberg.

"From St. Olaf to Sweden, student researches the impact of climate activist Greta Thunberg"

https://wp.stolaf.edu/news/from-st-olaf ... a-thunberg

Return to “Social Concerns”