Naming a lake "Fish Lake" should be criminal

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Naming a lake "Fish Lake" should be criminal

Post by occasional thoughts »

LOL. You're excused. So you're saying none of Glacier's irks are named Lake Fish eh. That could cause confusion with the term ocean fish I guess, or river fish. Let's try Lake Long? Lake Big? "Sure seems to sound better the other way around.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ka-El wrote:Big Lake

That would actually make sense since the lake is actually BIG.

Interestingly enough, there are 34 Big Lakes in BC, including two Big Fish lakes and one Upper Big Fish Lake (at 1911m, this is the highest "fish lake" in the province, but not the highest "big lake" in the province).

The largest Big lake is "Big Lake" between Williams Lake and Likely at 577 hectares. That's only 63% of Wood Lake and 141% of Swan Lake (to use Okanagan lakes as a reference). Translation: Big Lakes aren't really that big.

There are a :cuss: tonne of "little lakes" (we are talking 151 lakes), the largest of which is Little Shuswap Lake, which is bigger than the biggest Big Lake at 1753 hectares.

There are actually only 4 lakes with the name "Little Lake" as opposed to the other 147 which are name "Little _____ Lake". The smallest of these is on Vancouver Island near Campbell River and is 8.5 hectares. That's larger than the smallest lake actually named "Big Lake". That one is a small 5.5 hectare lake high up in the mountains above Elkford (at over 2000m elevation).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Upper Big Fish Lake. You're making this up, right? LOL.

To solve the other problem, I suggest renaming lakes you mention Relatively Big Lake and Absolutely Big Lake. After all, these lakes are being named relative to the local context. Do we think that lake namers go to the extent that a serious outdoors analyst like Glacier (I'm being humorous but serious; not a put down) and pull out the maps of the world's lakes and ascertain where a lake to be named fits into the grand scheme of things. I think not.

As you were. I'm off to enjoy Big Okanagan Lake. No, make that Big Big Okanagan Lake.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Glacier wrote:The largest Big lake is "Big Lake" between Williams Lake and Likely at 577 hectares. That's only 63% of Wood Lake and 141% of Swan Lake (to use Okanagan lakes as a reference). Translation: Big Lakes aren't really that big.

Loved stopping at the " Big Lake store, gas station and most important, pub on the way back from working above Opheim lake and Beaver Valley.
As a side note, Likely area is a great spot to explore. Lots of lakes in the area.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Post by mattinkelowna »

You may want to visit Skunk Lake, near Paradise Lake, beside Island Lake, just west of Another Lake & And Another Lake, both located east of Boot Lake, all just a short drive away from Kelowna.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Title was misleading , I consider it click bait ..
Strong and free
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Do I hear No Fish Lake? Wouldn't that be where most of you guys cast your lines? I'm good, t-g. I never learned the fine (apparently) art of fly casting. I just trolled for salmon and caught dogfish and the occasional cod.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

occasional thoughts wrote:Do I hear No Fish Lake?

That's the lake I fish in.

'
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Pretty bad if there's not at least some little fish in Little Fish Lake. Ah well, Alberta, you know. I always trolled in Big Pacific Ocean, not the little one.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I've never been ocean fishing.

Meh, Long way to go to not catch fish, I can do that with great
success locally.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I was a Vancouver/Burnaby kid. Lots of ocean near by. My aunt and uncle owned the boat rentals at Whytecliff Park in WVan. Bowen Island was straight across a strait. Lots of fun for a kid. Only began to discover the magic of the dry interior of B.C. when I started to drive and got a car. Living in Williams Lake 1987 to 1997 I tried to have my kids learn flycasting. Alas, here we have a scientific example of the notion "abject failure".
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Could always be worse Glacier, at least they didn't call it Wet Lake. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Could always be worse Glacier, at least they didn't call it Wet Lake. [icon_lol2.gif]

The closest we have to a "wet lake" in the province are:
HEWETT LAKE
KIWETINOK LAKE
WETASK LAKE
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

seewood wrote:
Glacier wrote:The largest Big lake is "Big Lake" between Williams Lake and Likely at 577 hectares. That's only 63% of Wood Lake and 141% of Swan Lake (to use Okanagan lakes as a reference). Translation: Big Lakes aren't really that big.

Loved stopping at the " Big Lake store, gas station and most important, pub on the way back from working above Opheim lake and Beaver Valley.
As a side note, Likely area is a great spot to explore. Lots of lakes in the area.

I worked at Horsefly back in the '60's
Pulled logs out of the lake into the conveyor into the mill, worked on the green chain. It was a very clean lake despite the logs floating in it. You could drink the lake water straight out of the lake. I was 16.
Waste not
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

No "Wet Lake" but there is a "Dry Falls" just across the WA. border.

Return to “Social Concerns”