Go fund me

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kato1959

Go fund me

Post by kato1959 »

is it just me or is the go fund me requests getting out of hand.
the latest is see is trying to get a mom and two kids back from Croatia and asking for $14,100.00 for three one way tickets and rent for a month?
Family members and relatives have started this fund and have gathered a little over $3000.00 so far. if you want your relative back..maybe donate more than $100 to your own cause?
It just seems to me that there is a gofundme for every little thing now a days..that is my rant for the day
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Go fund me

Post by OKkayak »

And how does it affect you?

GoFundMe is voluntary, if you don't want to donate, then don't donate :138:
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

True, donating is voluntary but it is crazy how everything turns to GO fund me. One I just seen was a family that had a house fire.........they were renters, and take a guess.......that’s right , no insurance. Insurance would have covered their contents and put them up somewhere. Baffles my mind, why a family wouldn’t have insurance. I do feel bad for them, but I don’t....
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

vegas1500 wrote:True, donating is voluntary but it is crazy how everything turns to GO fund me. One I just seen was a family that had a house fire.........they were renters, and take a guess.......that’s right , no insurance. Insurance would have covered their contents and put them up somewhere. Baffles my mind, why a family wouldn’t have insurance. I do feel bad for them, but I don’t....

Yeah, I get that, but it's not like they're getting taxpayers money or something. Its only money from who wants to donate. Heck, if someone was smart they'd start one because they want a new Ferrari. Easy money :up:
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well I also think this GoFundMe is getting out of hand..yes, one doesn't have to donate..but I have actually been pestered by some people who ask for a donation...

one person this summer had a family emergency, a family member had to be flown to Vancouver for a medical issue...they were asking for $2500 for a weekend trip to go see them in Van..they kept pestering me asking for "any" donation even $10 (??) when I said sorry (again) no can do, I asked straight out why would it cost you (2 people) $2500 to drive to Vancouver for 2 days when you also have Family members that you stay with for free when there ??

this was their reasoning..they wanted to get newer tires for their vehicle, they needed money for gas, smokes, cocktails, food and they wanted to take in some events when they were there because it's been "ages" since they went to Vancouver...the kicker was anything leftover would help them buy groceries for when they got back..unbelievable !!

now it's this FB "Donate for my Birthday" special cause garbage..this digital begging is getting out of hand..
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

People asking for money and donations has been around since time began, this is just an evolution of it, just like how everything else in our day to day lives have evolved.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

While many GoFundMe requests are worthwhile (and who does it harm but to the person who voluntarily donates a few dollars), every once in a while I see one that I just feel not bad about parting with some of my money if it helps them. I can't really see a downside. Now there are a few which are scams, so a person needs to check out their story. Not everyone who claims to have come down with terminal cancer is telling the truth, not everyone who wants help getting their diamonds out of Syria is for real.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

W105 wrote:now it's this FB "Donate for my Birthday" special cause garbage..this digital begging is getting out of hand..

What was the reason given for this B'day request?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

some have been for Mental Health awareness, some have been for saving the Whales, some have been for the Food Bank ..there's been many different types of requests for these B-Day Donations..

I've only seen one person reach donations of $25 and that was for the Food Bank one...whatever happened to just wishing somebody a Happy Birthday and Hope you have a great day ?? now it's wish me a Happy Birthday and donate to this cause (that I've never probably donated a dime too in my entire life)

the old guy down the street that I feed dinner to 3 times a week is a better way to spend my money on...a dozen homemade cookies can literally make him tear up..
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Post by RustyCrayon »

Yes, we have a choice as to whether we donate or not. But I'm growing tired of seeing all of the GoFundMe campaigns, especially for things that are complete nonsense.

It's the bigger picture that bothers me.

We are becoming (already are) a society of people who don't take responsibility for ourselves. Yes, there are some folks out there who are genuinely in need. However, most don't plan ahead, or use common sense and then expect everyone else to help them when things get messy. A few decades ago, people had some pride and didn't put out their hand looking for help for every little thing like they do now. If you wanted something, you saved actual cash to purchase it. People had savings. They didn't rely on credit or handouts for everything.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

There was also a time when communities pulled together to help each other out in times of hardship, because they knew one day it might be their house or barn that burned down, or their tractor that broke down, or their cattle that got hit with freezing rain. I have been on the receiving end of that kind of help from farming neighbors, unasked for. I don't mind paying it forward in special circumstances. There was nurse who was badly injured thru no fault of her own. An older farmer who got caught in a blizzard trying to feed his livestock, suffered from diabetes, hospitalized with frostbite, at risk of losing limbs. I think GoFundMe is perfect for these situations, and often are not posted by the victim themselves, but by caring neighbors who just want to help out a bit temporarily in a tough situation. Sometimes things happen which literally cannot be foreseen.What has happened to our caring and giving to those who are truly in need? It used to be a Christian tradition to help others, now it's everyone for themselves (for some). If you help out a friend, great. If you help out a stranger, even better.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

If You Have Family Here, Why Ask?

Post by Hmmm »

Another hard luck story where someone is asking for money from everyone. The story says she wants to come back to Kelowna to reunite with family and get the kids enrolled in school. I do understand that people fall on hard times and need help sometime, but her own story says reunite with family. Is she planning on staying with family when they arrive? I would hopefully assume she will begin working right away and work to pay her own way. https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-264316-1-.htm#264316. If the family is truly caring and are willing to help than they can scrape up enough money for three airline tickets back to Canada and help them out. I just did a quick search and for $3,000 CAD all three can fly to Kelowna from Croatia. Come on family step up and get them tickets and put them up for a couple months. Case closed.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: If You Have Family Here, Why Ask?

Post by vegas1500 »

I’m “trapped” in Alberta.....can I get money to go see friends in Maui? :biggrin:
goalie
Übergod

Re: If You Have Family Here, Why Ask?

Post by goalie »

Hmm Husband lost business. Time to get estranged!
ecoforce

Post by ecoforce »

I would love to know what the real story is.

If the situation is caused by their own fault, why do we have to help them?
removed

It's just so arrogant of these people to even think it's fair to ask for it. It's just plain stupid.

If you are stranded truly, Canadian embassy is where you go to get help.

Duh. Just dumb people.
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 25th, 2019, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Contact [email protected] with news concerns, don't post it here . Thanks

Return to “Social Concerns”