Go fund me

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: Go fund me

Post by Hmmm »

JayByrd wrote:Lots of folks on this thread with amazing personal stories. Lots of folks who never felt entitled to anything, except the right to judge others.

I don't know what this family's situation is, or what other options they've exhausted trying to get home. I know some people will do everything they can to protect their family, especially their children. Including using crowdfunding to get out of a bad situation.

The husband has lost his business and is "soon to be estranged". Sounds like he's off to prison. I wonder if their assets (money, property, residence) have been seized. Maybe all of the above has happened, maybe none of it has. I don't know so I'll withhold judgement. Others probably know more than I do.

Heck, if we want to get really cynical (and this is the Castanet Forums, of course we do), take the Humboldt Broncos crash. Hockey is an expensive sport. These were not poor families. And insurance will cover their losses, won't it? So why the need to raise millions? Couldn't they just work harder to get what they need? Every problem can be overcome if you just work hard enough, can't it?

At what point does a person become worthy of receiving help? At what point does saying "I have a problem, and I can't solve it on my own" become a character flaw? Now, back to the Humboldt example, none of the families involved started the GFM or even directly asked for money. Is that the key difference? They did still take it when it was offered.

It's an interesting thing to think about.
. Her story may be bad for sure, but she said get back to family here in Kelowna. Family can come up with under $3000 to get their family home. PERIOD. You don't need to put your hand out like you have nothing. You have family here. I'm 100% sure that this family could come up with $10,000 if they really wanted something bad enough, like somehow finding a small yet new home for only $10,000, Quick honey lets sell some stuff and get the cash. but $3000 to get these people in their homes doesn't seem to work for them? I dont believe it, they just want others to foot the bill.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

jimmy4321 wrote:I love how some have this hatred for GoFundMe as if they're knocking on your door, calling you during dinner, flyers on your windshield etc.
So you work harder , save , your grandparents thought you well blah, blah, blah, this generation is gone to hell etc Just DON'T donate , infact it's so much easier not to.
Fact is there are legit situations where people get blindsided in life and NEED assistance and this is a way for private money to reach them.
If parents need money for travel expenses so they can be with their kid during cancer treatments, or if a family needs cause of a death or some other sudden hardship, Donate if you want :up:

If the idea of donating money to some 20yr old cause he needs guitar strings don't open your wallet, DON'T worry about it.

Did you even read the reason people are commenting on this thread? The woman that needs to get home to Kelowna that has family here? 3 airline tickets are under $3000 and they can live with family? Thats a far cry from someone truly having nothing and nobody to turn to before they are homeless. its clear the family doesn't want to foot the bill and they feel that this story is touching enough to get suckers (people) to give them the cash.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

W105 wrote:well the way I see it, if you are going to ask strangers for donations then answering questions about where the money is going shouldn't be a problem

No one said it was a problem. But asking hypothetical questions on a forum isn't the same as asking questions directly to the people involved. Or maybe you did ask them and that's what you're referring to.

W105 wrote:people are questioning why this woman needs $11K more when she has Family members living here that she could stay with until she gets back on her feet..she has the money right now to fly home, she should be just grateful for getting that amount..

I'm sure she is grateful.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Hmmm wrote:Her story may be bad for sure, but she said get back to family here in Kelowna. Family can come up with under $3000 to get their family home. PERIOD. You don't need to put your hand out like you have nothing. You have family here. I'm 100% sure that this family could come up with $10,000 if they really wanted something bad enough, like somehow finding a small yet new home for only $10,000, Quick honey lets sell some stuff and get the cash. but $3000 to get these people in their homes doesn't seem to work for them? I dont believe it, they just want others to foot the bill.

Well, you've clearly made up your mind, and you obviously know more about this family's situation than I do. I concede!
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I read the story.... She wants to get back to family... Whats to figure out. Maybe her family in Kelowna is also homeless? Im sure she really needs help and I do feel for her. But needing to fly to Canada isn't a fortune or cancer surgery in the USA, its $3000 CAD. From there her family if they love her and are not homeless can put them up for a month or two. Even if its inconvenient and the sleeping arrangements are not perfect. It's doable. So I did make up my mind and I based it on the facts and the know how how to live in this world. Her problems dont sound very difficult to solve to me.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well I really hope she is grateful...and some of my comments are based on my experiences with GoFMe's and I am just sharing what I have experienced which hasn't been that good..

and yes I have been pestered for donations, probably because I have donated before makes me an easy person to keep asking ?? so just keep that in mind that if you do donate to some of them, chances are you will be asked again, and again...and don't feel bad if you are forced to say no or if you feel the need to ask some questions before you do donate...you have the right to know where and what your donations are being used for :)
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Hmmm wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:I love how some have this hatred for GoFundMe as if they're knocking on your door, calling you during dinner, flyers on your windshield etc.
So you work harder , save , your grandparents thought you well blah, blah, blah, this generation is gone to hell etc Just DON'T donate , infact it's so much easier not to.
Fact is there are legit situations where people get blindsided in life and NEED assistance and this is a way for private money to reach them.
If parents need money for travel expenses so they can be with their kid during cancer treatments, or if a family needs cause of a death or some other sudden hardship, Donate if you want :up:

If the idea of donating money to some 20yr old cause he needs guitar strings don't open your wallet, DON'T worry about it.

Did you even read the reason people are commenting on this thread? The woman that needs to get home to Kelowna that has family here? 3 airline tickets are under $3000 and they can live with family? Thats a far cry from someone truly having nothing and nobody to turn to before they are homeless. its clear the family doesn't want to foot the bill and they feel that this story is touching enough to get suckers (people) to give them the cash.

My point is if a story tugs at your heart, be my guest DONATE
If not , who gives a *bleep* if it's BS or simply deemed not worthy a cause. It's private money - why the need to discredit , just let it go.
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

Ahhh the good old days :)
Attachments
GDoCHiY.jpg
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

The article says she needs money for rent, food, and clothing for the first month. She can’t pack clothes? I think there would be a lot more sympathy if the request was more reasonable. Like others have said, money for the flight, good enough.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

psychprof wrote:The article says she needs money for rent, food, and clothing for the first month. She can’t pack clothes? I think there would be a lot more sympathy if the request was more reasonable. Like others have said, money for the flight, good enough.

If her so called family can't supply a place to stay and food for a month or two, than why would you come here to be with them? Duh! I really hope this woman reads this thread.
Last edited by Hmmm on Aug 29th, 2019, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Amazing how much time and effort people spend whinnying about others peoples lives that has zero relevance or bearing on their own lives.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

OKkayak wrote:Amazing how much time and effort people spend whinnying about others peoples lives that has zero relevance or bearing on their own lives.

They should all go Fund Themselves!! [icon_lol2.gif]
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

OKkayak wrote:Amazing how much time and effort people spend whinnying about others peoples lives that has zero relevance or bearing on their own lives.

Its a symptom of the society many are frustrated with. We read stories like this and shake our heads. So we comment about it. Like you do, commenting negatively about other peoples comments. If you don't like what people are talking about, just don't read it , but instead you do exactly the same thing and comment about something that bugs you or really is none of your business?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

looks like her her hand out and take away the responsibility from true friends and family campaign has stalled. Still hovering around $3800. Maybe they will find a way still to get back to Canada. You need $3000 for 3 members to fly to Kelowna and then your family can put you up. What a load of doo this kind of stuff is. And yes, many here comment about it, not because it really matters to us but in hopes that maybe it will cause others to rethink the idea to create one of the gohelpmeoutsoIdon'tneedto helpmyself campaigns themselves. Maybe some will decide to save, work extra or just plain do without. Like normal people who have a moral backbone and self respect.
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

I just donated to a cause that I am happy to support. Did you know that the website asks for a tip? If you aren’t paying attention it is just automatically added. Not sure who gets the tip.

Return to “Social Concerns”