Was it a bad day or what?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Was it a bad day or what?

Post by Scorp »

To the man at the Columbia bottle recycling depot on Dease Rd on that 'crazy' morning. I'm sorry that I grabbed your empty cart inside while you were sorting your bottles on the side-shelf. I'm sorry that you had to chase me all the way out to my car to recover it. I totally forgive you for calling me an *bleep*, and for not giving me a chance to apologise. But I promise I'll never do it again.
Laurane

Post by Laurane »

Sounds like a regular Friday around noon at Walmart parking lot......

Many of the oldies end up there for a quick lunch, gossip with friends, shop for the weekend, or just buy 6 items and never use the Express lines or Self-checkout, clogging the regular lines. (I can say this as I am an oldie too).

I don't know what some of these cart-stealers would do if they suddenly noticed a woman's purse secured by the seat belt so nobody could steal it, but maybe they would leave the cart and move on to a naked one.

Then they dash around the end of the grocery aisles not watching the oncoming traffic, just like many of them drive around looking for a parking spot because there are only so many Handicapped ones and they can't watch for a spot and drive at the same time. We saw that a lot in the other retirement areas in Arizona too.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Laurane wrote:Sounds like a regular Friday around noon at Walmart parking lot......

Many of the oldies end up there for a quick lunch, gossip with friends, shop for the weekend, or just buy 6 items and never use the Express lines or Self-checkout, clogging the regular lines. (I can say this as I am an oldie too).

So what's it to you if I buy only six items and go through a regular line?

Has it ever occurred to you that some might be doing so on purpose?

I refuse to put someone out of work by using self checkout, not to mention that if a retailer wants me to do that, they'd best be giving me an additional discount, or add me to the payroll given that I don't work for them! Bad enough that so many hit you up for a donation to some cause or other once they have you at a till, so now we should work for them for free too?

At certain times the express lane is backed up, and slower than going through some regular checkouts, hence the possible decision to go regular.

From what I read Walmart isn't hurting, quite the opposite in fact, so far be it from me to help put someone out of work, simply so that Walmart can increase their profit.

Now if you wish to talk about those "oldies" who get into a regular line with six items, then wait for the total to come up, before they even begin to open their purse and start counting nickels and dimes to pay a $14 tab, then I would be onboard with you in an instant.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Laurane

Post by Laurane »

So what's it to you if I buy only six items and go through a regular line?

It is my time that is being spent - some days it doesn't bother me if 3 people all have just a few items and could easily have walked to the Express checkout, but it was not near the end of the store they parked at.

But when I am in a hurry, I get annoyed quicker and I want in and out fast. There are few that are fast cashiers and packers.

But customers have a reason for doing what they do, and sometimes it is a habit and sometimes it is just having a personal interaction with others in the line and that some lonely people need to even chat with a cashier instead of being video'd at the computer checkouts.....which I avoid for that reason and because I pay enough to have some personal service.

I don't shop where I have to pack my own bags either......."Crusty Old One"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I was one of those that got so fed up with the self checkout that I gave up. It was always locking up "Call and Attendant" etc.

Then they clued me in, the gizmo also weighs the items, so if you buy a can of peas and you put down two cans of peas, bells start ringing.

As for the express checkouts, it's usually when I'm in a hurry, the person ahead of me has 12 items (or more) in the "12 items or less" isle. Then need a price check, use try to use their bank card that doesn't work, but keep trying and trying and trying and then want to pay in Dutch guilders.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Social Concerns”