The Destruction of History Continues

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

The Destruction of History Continues

Post by Glacier »

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... azerbaijan

For centuries the sacred khachkars of Djulfa stood tall along the banks of the River Aras — hulking and ornately carved 16th-century headstones, an army 10,000 strong, steadfastly guarding the world’s largest medieval Armenian cemetery. Earthquakes, war and vandalism diminished their ranks, but by the middle of the 20th century, thousands of khachkars still remained.

Today, however, not a single statuesque sandstone sculpture stands at Djulfa, in the remote Nakhichevan region of Azerbaijan. Despite a 2000 UNESCO order demanding their protection, evidence published in the art journal Hyperallergic this year indicated that the monuments were covertly and systematically demolished as part of an alleged Azerbaijani campaign to erase traces of indigenous Armenian culture in Nakhichevan.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The Destruction of History Continues

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I was expecting a story on ISIS or the Taliban. Yeah, this is horrible and in many cases it's permanent.

Though not quite as serious, we're guilty too. Only here in Canada it's SJWs making themselves out to be saviors.
Sir John A. Macdonald statue removed from Victoria City Hall
https://globalnews.ca/news/4382987/john ... -victoria/
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

bb49 wrote:I was expecting a story on ISIS or the Taliban. Yeah, this is horrible and in many cases it's permanent.

Though not quite as serious, we're guilty too. Only here in Canada it's SJWs making themselves out to be saviors.

Maybe we should set aside some areas that no one else wants, and put the statues of deposed historical figures there.

Then if anyone complains, we'll point to these parcels of land (we'll call them reserves) and remind them they should be grateful we didn't eradicate them completely. That they need to get over it and join in with the rest of us.

*That* would be a proper acknowledgement of our history.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Staredintoabyss
Board Meister

Post by Staredintoabyss »

JayByrd wrote:
bb49 wrote:I was expecting a story on ISIS or the Taliban. Yeah, this is horrible and in many cases it's permanent.

Maybe we should set aside some areas that no one else wants, and put the statues of deposed historical figures there.

Then if anyone complains, we'll point to these parcels of land (we'll call them reserves) and remind them they should be grateful we didn't eradicate them completely. That they need to get over it and join in with the rest of us.

*That* would be a proper acknowledgement of our history.

The joke starts out good but falls apart a bit leading to your punchline.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Staredintoabyss wrote:The joke starts out good but falls apart a bit leading to your punchline.

It wasn't meant to be funny.

Screw John A. He did way more harm than good.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

JayByrd wrote:
Staredintoabyss wrote:The joke starts out good but falls apart a bit leading to your punchline.

It wasn't meant to be funny.

Screw John A. He did way more harm than good.

Which is precisely the difficulty in judging historical acts by today’s standards. It’s easier as the acts become more extreme and tougher when the situation become more subtle.....or if the offensive actions are partially existing in present times.
You and 71 others Like this post
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Don’t compare the destruction of 1000 year old artifacts to the relocation of a tacky 40 year old statue of a racist.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Brass Monkey wrote:

Don’t compare the destruction of 1000 year old artifacts to the relocation of a tacky 40 year old statue of a racist.

The story here is about Armenian artifacts that were about 500 yrs old. The taliban destroyed the enormous Buddha statues that were about 1000 years older than that. Any time there is purposeful destruction of historical monuments, it is a terrible thing.
You and 71 others Like this post
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Brass Monkey wrote:

I would feel proud if there were a statue of Sir John A. MacDonald in front of city hall.
For better or worse, he was our first Prime Minister and partially responsible for getting this great country started.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

Glacier wrote:https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-art
Today, however, not a single statuesque sandstone sculpture stands at Djulfa]

My name is OZYMANDIAS..look on my works ye mighty and despair..
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Generally speaking, I'm against removing statues and historic items in general not because of what they represent, but because they're that - historic, and representative of a specific period of time.

With that being said, it also represents the culture and locale of where its located, so if those who live or are from there collectively don't want it, I'm in no position to judge. It would be no different than forcing Russians to krep statues of Stalin or Germans to keep statues of Hitler, or Iraqis to keep statues of Saddam due solely to their historical significance.

I don't agree with taking down statues of our elected Prime Ministers or any of that sort, domestically.

That said, to allege that removing statues is erasing history is... just purely incorrect. There is absolutely an abundance of recorded history (books, etc) that exist and until we start mass book burnings to erase our knowledge from an era, the claim that removing statues is erasing history is literally fear mongering and represents non factual talking points.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Removing statues and other forms of symbolism of times past is wrong. What harm does it really do? Just like removing the pictures of the Queen from the classrooms, the pictures were there 1st, and any new student should expect that,and not have any say in changing our history.

History is history, it is in the past tense and can not be changed. What we can do is, learn from the mistakes made in the past, take steps to see that they are not repeated, and make a better tomorrow. Reminders of the previous mistakes should not be forgotten.
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

alanjh595 wrote:Removing statues and other forms of symbolism of times past is wrong. What harm does it really do?

This is an easy thing to wonder, when you didn't suffer the harm inflicted by the person being immortalized.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JayByrd wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Removing statues and other forms of symbolism of times past is wrong. What harm does it really do?

This is an easy thing to wonder, when you didn't suffer the harm inflicted by the person being immortalized.

If we don't learn from the mistakes made in the past, how can we make for a better future?
These statues are a reminder to the mistakes of the past, they are not symbols of wisdom and worship.
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

alanjh595 wrote:
If we don't learn from the mistakes made in the past, how can we make for a better future?
These statues are a reminder to the mistakes of the past, they are not symbols of wisdom and worship.

Come on, do you really think that's why statues of people are erected? To remember the bad along with the good?

Return to “Social Concerns”