How to recycle properly!?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: How to recycle properly!?

Post by oneh2obabe »

The new waste management company isn't in our area - we got to keep the old one. Garbage day is every Thursday, recycling is every 2nd Thursday (I mark it on the calendar for the full year) and yard waste is another company every Tuesday from March to November.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I've seen lots of people put both the recycling and yard waste out at once and the truck just grabs the right bin.
Otherwise just wait until your neighbors bring theirs out and hope they are right.
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

It should all go into one bin. We have the technology for robots to sort trash, also we are taking away jobs by sorting it all and then being fined or scolded for “doing it incorrectly” how dare you put parchment paper with paper and did you rinse out those tuna cans before you recycled them, or take the lids off your empty bottles and rinse them out.

In my opinion...Recycling initially was to reuse items and save Mother Earth, now it is all about profit margins and they are getting everyone to do the work for them for free, so big corporations can make a profit.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Here's an article that might enlighten someone:

But for any city, completely weeding out dirty recyclables is a job that borders on Sisyphean. “It’s impossible,” says Sharon Howland, program lead with Calgary’s waste and recycling department.

Certainly following the rules helps decrease escalating costs.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... convenient.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bump

Kind of on the same subject.

I tried to drop a bag of cans and bottles at the bottle depot today. I was using the return it express service which I quite like.
Kent rd was closed for that service so I went to Dease rd location. They were closed for that too.

You would think they could say on their signs that all locations were closed for drop off!

This is the second time in the last while that this has happened. It is apparently so popular that they don't have enough staff to handle the load.

I ended up giving the bag to a couple of people outside as I wasn't going home and needed the space in my car.
BC Landlord
Übergod

Post by BC Landlord »

The only materials worth recycling are metals. Everything else is just costly gimmicks. If you don't believe me, ask the thieves. They would never steal plastics or cardboards from anyone. They go after metals.
nucksRnum1
Übergod

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Why should people "properly" recycle when municipalities sell it to China or overseas? I remember an absurd article from New Brunswick where the city was complaining about "losing" 30k in revenue because people didn't clean out peanut butter containers (among others). Making recycling a profit generator as opposed to a non profit enterprise was a huge mistake.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 2nd, 2021, 5:52 am Why should people "properly" recycle when municipalities sell it to China or overseas?
China stopped taking the Worlds waste a few years ago. Not so easy to recycle waste anymore.

Return to “Social Concerns”