Bike Thieves get beat..

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
tantor
Board Meister

Re: Bike Thieves get beat..

Post by tantor »

alanjh595 wrote:This is much more than a "city" problem. It's a societal, provincial, federal, financial, and legal problem.

There is no single or easy solution that will stop this.
I think that there passive ways to make life more difficult for those that trespass against us.

Remove the temptations.
Lock the doors and windows.
Stay vigilant (Not be a vigilante).
Report your observations to the police and your neighbours.

These people are just like bears, we know to not leave what they want within easy reach. They are predictable and we know how to deal with bears. Why can't we treat these other predators the same way?
Bears are given a few chances to move on, if the continue with their behaviours of the past, they will be captured and relocated. Unfortunately, humans are far more destructive and dangerous than bears are.

People keep coming back and repeating the same actions, have been conditioned to the fact that, it is easy pickens from past experiences. We are leaving the door open to those that will walk right in and take whatever you leave out for them to take.

Yes it is more than just a city problem but the things I put forth can happen at the city level. As it is now the rule of law does not seem to apply to these people and if it does not apply to them then it does not apply to anyone. Don't be surprised when citizens start to mask up and start taking matters into their own hands, an awful lot of people are almost there. I would rather the law started taking enforcement measures before we see people cross that line. Free housing and free drugs have not seemed to have any effect, go figure. You don't teach a child how to be a responsible adult by giving them everything they want for nothing and that holds true for anyone. I am 1000% behind helping the homeless but it needs to be done through work programs where they earn their housing and gain the skills needed to get into the workforce. Not provide a home where they can drink and do drugs and just be on a taxpayer funded holiday with zero responsibility.We are using the same stupid models that many of the west coast cities in the states have used and the problem has just exploded there. What makes anyone think that there will be a different outcome on this side of an imaginary line? In San Fran they will not even arrest someone for shoplifting if the value of goods is under 1000 dollars! So many shops are closing, is this the model we want to follow? I know we have had many thefts last year and not one arrest was made even when they had the person. I had a guy threaten to stab me was given a notice to go to court and testify and wouldn't you know it he pleaded to a lesser crime and was back on the street right after court. He was originally faced 2 assault charges, theft under, resisting arrest and fraud outside of the threat to stab me. If this is what they are going to call justice it is a small wonder that citizens are meting out their own justice. There is no excuse for this level of stupidity.

Return to “Social Concerns”