Canada Citizen Consultations -- Medical Assistance in Dying

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Canada Citizen Consultations -- Medical Assistance in Dy

Post by 1791 »

Sarah Pailin was right.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

shoo wrote:
Lady tehMa wrote:A friend of mine had her mother in palliative care this fall. The staff were constantly pushing MAID. She said they felt bullied, and that it really took away from their time together - what they had left.

The mother felt bullied to make the decision to end her life? Or was she given the information regarding MAID?

Every day the staff would mention it to the mother and her family who were with her. Often more than once a day. It was very upsetting, they said they felt pressured and pushed.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Ill go ahead and explain.

For the Hospital staff , Those beds are always needed by someone else. Somehow they are justifying promoting a cull. Because it will somehow make life easier for the caregivers at the Hospital. I realise KGH is overburdened.
I do understand they likely save money if granny goes to see St. Peter immediately. However the optics appear terrible.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 27th, 2020, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

1791 wrote:Ill go ahead and explain.

For the Hospital staff , Those beds are always needed by someone else. Somehow they are justifying promoting a cull. Because it will somehow make life easier for the caregivers at the Hospital. I realise KGH is overburdened.
I do understand they likely save money if granny goes to see St. Peter immediately. However the optics appear terrible.

Only to those who see this as somehow an abandonment.

Palliative and Hospice care is not done at a hospital, generally. Here, it is Cottonwoods and Central Okanagan Hospice House but even they need beds to be freed up. I don't condone nurses being pushy but I understand where they are coming from.

I think it is guilt that makes people choose to keep loved ones alive. They don't want to have to live with the decision they made so they let gravely ill family stick around just to get in one more diaper change or one more bag of liquid lunch.

That is not life quality in any sense of the term and those who really care for their family will see that, as difficult as it is, the only real choice is to let them go.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

Every day the staff would mention it to the mother and her family who were with her. Often more than once a day. It was very upsetting, they said they felt pressured and pushed.[/quote]

I’m quite outraged that this would happen and should never happen. A close family member opted for MAID recently and the family was was not involved at all. She had to request in person, by herself to the physician, then fill out the paperwork, then two independent volunteers not associated with the hospital interviewed her. After that she was asked by several nurses and doctors if these were her wishes and hers alone. Family was not involved in her decision. The entire process took 2 1/2 weeks. An independent and peaceful passing took place with her entire family present.

Return to “Social Concerns”