Stolen Valour

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
swanny10

Stolen Valour

Post by swanny10 »

I live in a complex-call it what one wishes -The Park Attendant -Claims he was a Vietnam Vet ? Navy Seal-- First off- It- is too young To have ever been involved in that conflict-But he seems to have alot of persons *bleep* .
His story he told myself is Unbelievable-It is a Projectionist at a Theatre-My comment -You watched too many stories-during your Projectionist work.
And another of Its claim to Fame -It grew up 12 ? miles away from where the Stupid Series -Trailer Park Boys was started.
I told It /he watched too much of that *bleep*.
My Father enlisted 3 times during WW2-kicked out for underage.Born April 7 1927
Re inlisted with the PPCLI-1953-We as a family went to Germany 1955 -came back to Canada 1957.as a Corporal.
He inlisted into the IRISH FUSILLERS-PRINCE RUPERT BC .
Retired as a Seargent Major.-I have all discharge papers.
I myself spent 3 years in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets-Penhold/ Alberta-respecting those that have served.
Phoney persons -As the Royal Canadian Legion states -should be Jailed -Stolen Valour
Idiots-should be Jailed.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Stolen Valour

Post by Even Steven »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 24th, 2020, 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 24th, 2020, 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's certainly more common than I had realized, swanny10. I wonder why people do it? Looks like the Legion's trying to get it stopped.

Here's a link to the story: https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/27 ... mendations
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Unfortunately it's not just the military that gets impersonators.
We had a fellow show up at the firehall once impersonating a Vancouver City firefighter.
He eventually was arrested and was commited to a phsyciatric facility after showing up in Port Moody I believ it was.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

swanny10 wrote:I live in a complex-call it what one wishes -The Park Attendant -Claims he was a Vietnam Vet ? Navy Seal-- First off- It- is too young To have ever been involved in that conflict-But he seems to have alot of persons *bleep* .
His story he told myself is Unbelievable-It is a Projectionist at a Theatre-My comment -You watched too many stories-during your Projectionist work.
And another of Its claim to Fame -It grew up 12 ? miles away from where the Stupid Series -Trailer Park Boys was started.
I told It /he watched too much of that *bleep*.
My Father enlisted 3 times during WW2-kicked out for underage.Born April 7 1927
Re inlisted with the PPCLI-1953-We as a family went to Germany 1955 -came back to Canada 1957.as a Corporal.
He inlisted into the IRISH FUSILLERS-PRINCE RUPERT BC .
Retired as a Seargent Major.-I have all discharge papers.
I myself spent 3 years in the Royal Canadian Air Cadets-Penhold/ Alberta-respecting those that have served.
Phoney persons -As the Royal Canadian Legion states -should be Jailed -Stolen Valour
Idiots-should be Jailed.

Good for your father. The valour he feels is intrinsic.

As for impersonators. I don't quite get it. I see no issue with it either and can't understand why it is illegal. If you want to pretend to be a military veteran, or fire fighter or whatever.. go for it. Unless you're getting a perk that is not fair, I see no issues.

I think it's a serious issue to impersonate law enforcement mind you.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

The deep community respect for veterans -- especially those who have gone in harm's way for Queen and country -- is powerful. Many folks with various character flaws, must be so envious of that respect, that they'll make up imaginary past exploits to bask in it.

There are countless examples -- a few recent ones:

A guy who showed up at the Vancouver Remembrance Day ceremonies a few years ago, pretending to be a Canadian soldier.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-man-ordered-to-do-community-service-for-pretending-to-be-a-soldier/article25826867/

An American politician who greatly enhanced his wartime exploits, for political gain:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/richard-blumenthal-vietnam/

And who can forget our own Minister of Defense -- Harjit Sajjan -- falsely claiming important military leadership and planning as his own.
https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/sajjan-retracts-claim-he-was-architect-of-canadas-biggest-combat-operation-in-afghanistan

There were a number of warriors in our family who served in WW1 and WW2. A few of them didn't come home. While the ones who survived were far from perfect people for the remainder of their lives, I've respected them more than most politicians who ever lived, for their service and risking their lives for their country.

And counted my blessings that I never had to go.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I remember a weird occurrence several years ago at a remembrance ceremony in Kelowna.

I spied a guy with a jacket from the 8CH. That regiment used to train with my regiment back in the 80's at CFB Gagetown. I knew a few of their NCO's and had attended courses with their members. We looked to be about the same age...so I walk up and introduce myself. This guy was immediately very guarded and didn't seem to know any of the people I knew from "back in the day".

He kind of shuffled off and got out of dodge. I thought maybe I had said something that freaked him out.....or maybe he was just an odd duck.

Years later....I think he must have picked up that jacket as surplus or something. It was a big deal in that 8CH rotated into Lahr Germany as part of our Nato deployment. That jacket was only available to people who served overseas.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

This type of stuff isn't limited to the military. I watched a documentary about a woman who claimed to have survived the World Trade Center attacks...spoke about being carried out of the building by a NYFD guy, claimed her boyfriend was in the other tower and he didn't make it out. Even got involved in a leadership role in a 9/11 survivors group. It all turned out to be false...the firefighter she claimed rescued her, wasn't real. The man she claimed was her boyfriend was real, and was actually killed in the attacks, but she'd never met him. All in an effort to lead a fantasy life.

As Oldislander said, the attention and cache involved with these events...be it having served in wartime, or surviving a disaster, sometimes draws in people who are trying to fill an emotional hole. While I know there are those who do it simply for personal gain, there are also those who are just desperate to feel like they are "somebody".
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Here's another:

'Stolen valour' alleged

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... len-valour
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Social Concerns”