Coming home

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Patrickcominghome

Coming home

Post by Patrickcominghome »

Hello everyone
We are expats coming home after 3 years of working abroad.
We lived in Ontario the better part of our lives and as a welcome home shift, we've decided to make BC our new home.
We are seriously exploring opportunities in Kelowna. Unfortunately, and perhaps without truth, we haven't heard all good things about Kelowna. In particular the crime level and crime news has made its way half way around the world from travellers and expats. I typically try to ignore the noise and focus on long term residents for information.
I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, if so , I apologise in advance for the repetitiveness.
Thanks again
Patrick
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Coming home

Post by vegas1500 »

Sorry, don’t see a question in there? Have a specific one?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

They are moving to BC and are thinking of making Kelowna their possible new home. They've heard about the crime level, etc. and would like honest opinions about same.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Many wonderful areas in Kelowna to live. The downtown area is the bad part, unfortunately and that includes at night. Most of Rutland is also just fine despite the news. There are a few trouble spots there is all. And every city large and midsized has drug problems and crime. So you cannot escape it. Best advise I can give is never look at this forum again. It’s full of negative people who don’t like Kelowna. Many here do of course, but you’ll hear all the bad here and it will and has apparently given you a concern.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If you are moving from a large City the crime here is really nothing. As Buds said the downtown core - nah I wouldn't rent/buy there, but lovely safe areas.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Yes there has been a lot of fear mongering about Kelowna and its issues on this forum. Nothing you won't find anywhere else. Some criticisms from people who don’t even live here so I don’t know why they weigh in. Housing is pricey and while there are jobs in many different fields, they tend to pay less than other larger centers. I also left for many years for my career and came back home. It’s a great place to enjoy the outdoors if that’s what your into.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

If you're used to a smaller centre, crime seems quite high. If you're from a big city, it should be about "normal", from what I understand. Having come from a smaller centre (Kelowna is the largest place I've lived) I find it alarming, especially the increase in the last year or so. Not just the crime itself, but the whole "catch and release" mentality, and the handwashing of the bureaucrats. That and the enabling/normalization of the addicted lifestyle - we should be getting them off the drugs, not handing them needles - the insanity of it all boggles my mind.

I do love it here, but it is expensive and the pay is not as good as other areas. When (if!) we retire, we'll be heading out to a smaller centre, hoping for a more peaceful lifestyle. Someplace where attacks on the street don't happen.

Edit: if you're planning on living here, I'd advise you to spend a week here in summer scouting out areas you'd like to live. Talk to the neighbours, observe the traffic patterns and see if it is a deal-breaker or not.
I haven't failed until I quit.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Hmmm wrote:Many wonderful areas in Kelowna to live. The downtown area is the bad part, unfortunately and that includes at night.

I live downtown, and we have had zero major issues and some small issues (our cars been looked through a few times, some plastic planters have been stolen, as well as a broken lawn chair (they left all the good ones)).

As a youngish 29 year old women, I really don't feel unsafe walking around downtown during the day or at night. The only issues I have had walking around at night by myself has been after the bars close and with drunk dudes getting a little aggressive while trying to get my attention.

But I do agree that every city is going to have some level of crime, and it just depends on what you are looking for, and what you are willing to handle.
hail Satan y'all
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I've lived in Kelowna since 1977, started out in East Kelowna and then moved as an adult downtown and then to Rutland. I raised my kids in Rutland with a move to Black Mountain, where I now reside, when they were teenagers. My son is now raising my granddaughter here.

While it's true that Kelowna has changed a LOT since I came here, most of it is for the better. There is a crime factor, particularly downtown, but as was said earlier, that is typical for a larger city. Kelowna has added so many cultural things as it has grown, and a diverse amount of things to do, that you should never be bored. I wish it were not as expensive, but all in all, I love it here!

Welcome back!

:biggrin:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Patrickcominghome

Post by Patrickcominghome »

Thanks to all for the responses.
I appreciate the honesty and sincerity of the comments.
Patrick
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

From Ontario ? You wont like it here. :D
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Most people I know are from Ontario.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

There are many, many more beautiful, welcoming places to live in BC than Kelowna.

Are you looking for work to match your particular skills?
Chill
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

To a lot of people from Ontario the traffic here is a walk in the park.

Some there have to spend four hours of their work day simply commuting.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Toronto born and raised here! I regularly travel back and forth as my in-laws are in Kelowna.

I'd recommend renting for a year to see if Kelowna suits you and the honeymoon phase wares off. Some people moved to Kelowna expecting certain things and then are really disappointed, especially once they have dropped hefty investments.

If you still like it after a year, time to plant roots. If not, you have the freedom to be mobile.

Some pro's:
- Lots of wonderful people
- Farms close by as well as wineries
- trails, nature are always close by
- clean air
- lots of variety in stores, restaurants
- growing culture scene
- great skiing

con's
- traffic can be as bad as it is in Toronto sometimes
- the city is changing, so expect more houses on mountains and nature to be pushed back
- increased crime
- salaries are not comparable to larger cities but housing seems to cost almost as much
- standardised affair. (Most days are pretty standard, so not a lot changes, or to much excitement).

Return to “Social Concerns”