Why is this not front page?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Why is this not front page?

Post by youjustcomplain »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/278664/Amber-Alert-issued-after-boy-abducted-in-Toronto-Wednesday

Last night, just before bed, I checked Castanet for a little light reading. Top story had just been posted, a 14 year old boy had been abducted in Toronto. Amber alert issued.

I log on this morning to see if there was any update to the story, but it took a few minutes of digging to find it. (I'll admit, I'm not great at searching Castanet for old stories). Why was a missing child with an Amber Alert not front page news anymore? Is this an oversight? I seem to recall other newsworthy stories getting the yellow "BREAKING" flag and getting sticky'd at the top of the list of stories. Why not this one?

I found the story. No update, (fair, there may not be an update yet), but it's fallen right off the page. If I hadn't logged in last night, I'd not have known about it.

Is this what we want from our local news source? Should Amber alerts be flagged as such and remain at the top of the list until resolved?
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Why is this not front page?

Post by Even Steven »

Well...maybe because it's not local news?
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Yes, in Toronto. But I don't read Toronto news. I meant why isn't this front page on Castanet? It's a kid who was abducted.

Anyhow, I'm just curious how people feel about it not being front page news on Castanet. I think it should be, but short of just "feeling" like it should be, I don't have much more reason for it.

The cynical side of me wonders if the kid was blond haired and blue eye'd if he/she would be front page, or if that has anything to do with it at all.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I saw a comment on Facebook which connected the recent arrest of 2 16 year old boys from Ontario in Kelowna to this missing boy.

It may not be directly local news, but if somehow this young boy does make his way to BC in whatever form, it would be good if as many people were aware.
hail Satan y'all
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

youjustcomplain wrote:

Anyhow, I'm just curious how people feel about it not being front page news on Castanet. I think it should be, but short of just "feeling" like it should be, I don't have much more reason for it.

I don't see how it would be of help to this kid to have the story on the front page of a media outlet that is located in small city thousands kilometers away.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Is this what we want from our local news source? Should Amber alerts be flagged as such and remain at the top of the list until resolved?

Frankly, what you're asking for is a horrible suggestion. Amber alerts should only be highly visible in the areas of abduction and any suspected areas of subsequent travel.

If we're inundated with Amber Alerts from all over the Globe it makes things worse. People stop paying attention to them, they get ignored. It's called Alert fatigue and it's totally possible to get into a situation of "more alerts resulting in less awareness".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alarm_fatigue
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

youjustcomplain wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/278664/Amber-Alert-issued-after-boy-abducted-in-Toronto-Wednesday

Last night, just before bed, I checked Castanet for a little light reading. Top story had just been posted, a 14 year old boy had been abducted in Toronto. Amber alert issued.

I log on this morning to see if there was any update to the story, but it took a few minutes of digging to find it. (I'll admit, I'm not great at searching Castanet for old stories). Why was a missing child with an Amber Alert not front page news anymore? Is this an oversight? I seem to recall other newsworthy stories getting the yellow "BREAKING" flag and getting sticky'd at the top of the list of stories. Why not this one?

I found the story. No update, (fair, there may not be an update yet), but it's fallen right off the page. If I hadn't logged in last night, I'd not have known about it.

To get in this area in 24 hours they have to be doing 180+ kms per hour non-stop. Not going to happen
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

youjustcomplain wrote:Yes, in Toronto. But I don't read Toronto news.

Yet its a Toronto story, relevant to Toronto and area.
youjustcomplain wrote:I meant why isn't this front page on Castanet? It's a kid who was abducted.

Castanet is a small local news and social outlet for the Okanagan. The context of the story is irrelevant.
youjustcomplain wrote:Anyhow, I'm just curious how people feel about it not being front page news on Castanet.

I see no need having a story constantly being updated on a local news outlet for something that happened 4000kms away. The internet is filled with a multitude of news outlets and tools to use if one is interested in any updates of the story.
youjustcomplain wrote:The cynical side of me wonders if the kid was blond haired and blue eye'd if he/she would be front page, or if that has anything to do with it at all.

The rational side of me knows that this comment is just pure garbage.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Torontostar.com.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Now if Justin Trudeau was missing I'm pretty sure the story would still be on Castanet's front page ... maybe! lol
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 ... e-say.html

DEVELOPING
14-year-old North York boy abducted as ‘retribution’ for stepbrother’s $4-million drug debt: police
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I don't think a Castanet headline would have changed anything.
I don't think the stepbrother will be able to pay off his debt.
I think the young fellow will be used as an example to the other dealers.
Black Dogs Matter
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

DANSPEED wrote:Now if Justin Trudeau was missing I'm pretty sure the story would still be on Castanet's front page ... maybe! lol

Of course, he's the PM like it or not.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

To the OP'er

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/27 ... h-Jolayemi

P.S found no were near central Okanagan... lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”