Food banks need help

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Food banks need help

Post by common_sense_guy »

Just read and .not surprisingly ,food banks have suffered a decrease. Just wanted to try and remind people if they can try and go out of their way to put a little more into the food banks for the good people down there to hand out to the needy. Coronavirus is affecting everything

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... oronavirus
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
bb49
Lord of the Board

Re: Food banks need help

Post by bb49 »

There are a lot of people out there that have stocked up with various items.
For those of you that feel just maybe you bought a bit too much, how about donating a small portion of your surplus.
NO BEIJING 2022

THE TWO MICHAELS. Never forget them.

CHINA. Never forgive them.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i do not think most will be parting with there goods for a while now
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
D_Man

Post by D_Man »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Mar 14th, 2020, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Yes, he knows.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

There are a lot of people out there that have stocked up with various items.
For those of you that feel just maybe you bought a bit too much, how about donating a small portion of your surplus.[quote][/quote]

How is anyone to know if they had bought too much until after this has passed?
Bring back the LIKE button.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Talked with the guy running the Food Bank on this side of the bridge yesterday. Found out what he needed the most. Hit the zoo (aka grocery store) this morning for the few things I needed and grabbed things for the FB. After I paid, left them with customer service and sent him a text saying 4 bags of goods were ready for him to pickup.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

Can't expect the taxpayer to donate when they already are. Even though Ottawa is "donating" $100,000,000.00 to Food Banks, it's still taxpayer money. In effect, we are donating - big time. $100 million in food is a lot of food, after expenses - of course.

Too, though B. Henry lifted her 'flatten the curve' trial there are still a lot of people that fell way behind on their bills during the lock-down, and some are not back to a regular job so those people can't afford to consider being charitable.

Also, people read the news. They see local governments patting themselves on the back for putting homeowners and landlords further into debt with outrageous selfish tax increases. Ottawa, and the province will be wanting all COVID hand-outs paid back, and soon. Already, Ottawa is ramming through taxes and fees on everything they can dream up.
Local governments, obviously ignorant of the extremes COVID has dealt most people, carry on raising fees, and taxes. So, charity? Hard to find when governments cancel *Christmas and if that word insults you, too bad.

Out of all of the jobs out there, the many not looking for a hamper this year are those employed by the taxpayer.

J
* If it were not for Christmas, there would be no "Holidays" - happy, or otherwise.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
voice of reason
Übergod

Post by voice of reason »

i would like to see how much of that hundred mil actually reached these food banks. the liberals have a habit of spending the budget on administration while a few crumbs actually reach the people in need.judging from their past dealings we will be reading about how the money got funneled in to the hands of liberal party donors in about a year or 2 when the redacted documents get made public .
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

voice of reason wrote:.........judging from their past dealings we will be reading about how the money got funneled in to the hands of liberal party donors in about a year or 2 when the redacted documents get made public .
I don't see how this topic as being a opportunity to knock any one particular "party". That's up to the news medium to host bot-fed anti-party rhetoric. No matter what 'clan' is in power having the party, there are always things to pick on but generating unsubstantiated tabloid-style shin-kicking isn't going to work. Put some numbers together, link to facts, and be ready for a come-back equal to or more dirty about the 'other' parties in Ottawa. There care a lot of political rocks out there, and miscreants under most of them.

I don't like the Liberals either, I don't like the NDP, or Greens or... for that matter. I don't like any of them. But it's all we've got and we need to support each other because in the end, all this vote-buying and 'Here's money kid, ignore those people behind the curtain'; is money we all have to pay back. And when the feds, the provinces, and municipalities start calling in these loans to the affected; it won't matter whose having the Party. It ain't over till the bills are paid by the consumer and taxpayer.

I agree with you that little will fall into the hands of those who are in need, desperate, and falling through the cracks. Administrative costs may eat up about 0% - 40%. True charity isn't a hold-up at the checkout being shamed into donating by being asked "would you like to feed a hungry child today."

Charity shouldn't just be a annual thing for many. But Christmas is the best time to reach out to the passing pocket-book.

If you want to see another form of charity at work - look at the $850,000.00 the taxpayer handed out to a ad agency to advertise to the taxpayer to stay home during COVID-19(84). Duh! But, it's OK - it's government money - not yours. Duh.

I don't care if the feds, provinces, and municipalities spend billions the taxpayer doesn't have, it's when they expect us to feel that the money is charity.

j.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Jim Dixon wrote:Can't expect the taxpayer to donate when they already are. Even though Ottawa is "donating" $100,000,000.00 to Food Banks, it's still taxpayer money. In effect, we are donating - big time. $100 million in food is a lot of food, after expenses - of course.

Too, though B. Henry lifted her 'flatten the curve' trial there are still a lot of people that fell way behind on their bills during the lock-down, and some are not back to a regular job so those people can't afford to consider being charitable.
Yes, lots of people lost their jobs (or had their hours cut), increasing the need.

I apologize if I've got this wrong, but your post seems like an elaborate excuse for not helping your fellow humans. If you're really not in a position to do anything to help, you don't need to explain.

And of all the words I'd use to describe myself, "taxpayer" isn't really on the list. I'd hope it isn't for most people.
Finding something on the internet that aligns with your worldview, is not research.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

JayByrd wrote:
Jim Dixon wrote:Can't expect the taxpayer to donate when they already are. Even though Ottawa is "donating" $100,000,000.00 to Food Banks, it's still taxpayer money. In effect, we are donating - big time. $100 million in food is a lot of food, after expenses - of course.

JayByrd wrote:I apologize if I've got this wrong, .......
You did get it wrong. My point is, it might be harder this year thanks to COVID to expect a normal charitable mood by many, but can expect the taxpayer to be much more charitable via Ottawa. BTW, I and my family have done a great deal of helping others in and around our community. Like my signature at bottom says....
JayByrd wrote:And of all the words I'd use to describe myself, "taxpayer" isn't really on the list. I'd hope it isn't for most people.
Spoken like a true politician might say it. If referring to ones self as a taxpayer insult someone who ins't?
But fact is, you ARE a taxpayer - like it or not unless you're beating the system. And of course governments don't want people thinking or KNOWING that the people are the taxpayers. That is why media will say the federal government, province or city government donated this, that or the other amount of taxpayer money, to seem like it's not costing us/taxpayers anything.

If we all knew that, more people would be asking for accountability and government, all levels, do not want to be held accountable for anything. If you don't use the word taxpayer, what would you call someone who does pay their taxes?

Sorry to seem like I'm adding injury to insult, I'm not, but the taxpayer funds government, government employees pay taxes too, and that in any business is called double-dipping. If you can live without thinking you are a taxpayer - more heavenly delights to you. Don't worry, not a taxpayer - be happy.

Jim - a taxpayer
ItsBigDaddy
Banned

Post by ItsBigDaddy »

common_sense_guy wrote:Just read and .not surprisingly ,food banks have suffered a decrease. Just wanted to try and remind people if they can try and go out of their way to put a little more into the food banks for the good people down there to hand out to the needy. Coronavirus is affecting everything

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... oronavirus
Our food bank in Kelowna sells a lot of donated food to other charities/programs for cash. When questioned about it.. the powers to be said they don’t see it as “selling food” but “helping other programs/charities” because they sell the food at a better bargain then they could find. I know how many people rely on our food bank, how needed it is in our community, but I think this is criminal and when I donate food to them, I don’t want it being sold to another charity for money. Money that goes to pay the inflated wages of the top earners at the food bank. Six figures a year easily.

Check it out for yourselves: ask questions before you donate to charities.

https://www.charityintelligence.ca/char ... -food-bank
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Article is based on 2017 financial reports submitted to CRA. Might want to check out the June 30, 2019 financials submitted.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ItsBigDaddy
Banned

Post by ItsBigDaddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Article is based on 2017 financial reports submitted to CRA. Might want to check out the June 30, 2019 financials submitted.
Post 2018 and 2019 financials then... can’t find them.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Return to “Social Concerns”