Food banks need help

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Food banks need help

Post by JayByrd »

Jim Dixon wrote:
You did get it wrong. My point is, it might be harder this year thanks to COVID to expect a normal charitable mood by many, but can expect the taxpayer to be much more charitable via Ottawa. BTW, I and my family have done a great deal of helping others in and around our community. Like my signature at bottom says....

Sorry to seem like I'm adding injury to insult, I'm not, but the taxpayer funds government, government employees pay taxes too, and that in any business is called double-dipping. If you can live without thinking you are a taxpayer - more heavenly delights to you. Don't worry, not a taxpayer - be happy.

Jim - a taxpayer
You do make a good point. As taxpayers, donating money, whether directly or through paying taxes, is not the only way to help others. And I agree, that as taxpayers, many of us are struggling more at this time than at other times. Taxpayers of the past had a little more wiggle room, and were less fearful of what their immediate taxpaying future would hold (whether it be continued reduced income, or increased taxes). I too pay taxes, and have indeed paid taxes since the very first time I was taxed, and I also appreciate you demonstrating the model of how all that works. I'm now have a much better sense of my taxpaying identity. It's worth noting as well that while I'm not a direct Government employee, my employer is entirely funded through Government contracts. I apologize for double dipping, but I do make use of Government services (as a taxpayer) so maybe it's okay.

Yours in taxpaying,

JayByrd (a taxpayer)
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
ItsBigDaddy
Banned

Post by ItsBigDaddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:2015-2019 submitted financials

https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/hacc/sr ... 1&dsrdPg=1
Not much as changed from 2017 financials...
2 staff members still getting paid 6 figures per year.

Hopefully they are doing things more on the up and up than 3 years ago in regards to selling donated food and horse trading for personal items.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

Why is the Food Bank making donations to other charities? And not small sums either. one example
"Qualified donee # 6

Name of organization: FREEDOM DOOR
Associated charity: No
Business number/Registration number: 865037758RR0001
City: KELOWNA
Province/Territory: BC
Amounts of non-cash gifts:
Total amount of gifts: CAN$ 48,127.00
Was any part of the gift intended for political activities? No"

What if I give my money to the Foodbank and do not want to support Freedom Door?
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

great point.........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

normaM wrote:Why is the Food Bank making donations to other charities? And not small sums either. one example
"Qualified donee # 6

Name of organization: FREEDOM DOOR
Associated charity: No
Business number/Registration number: 865037758RR0001
City: KELOWNA
Province/Territory: BC
Amounts of non-cash gifts:
Total amount of gifts: CAN$ 48,127.00
Was any part of the gift intended for political activities? No"

What if I give my money to the Foodbank and do not want to support Freedom Door?
They also made donations to Gospel Mission, Lake Country Food Bank, Salvation Army, along with donations to other food banks and organizations helping people. Don't think they hand over a cheque - think it's more the value of food and goods donated. When there's a food drive most people donate to Central Okanagan Food Bank leaving the others to scramble for donations.

https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/hacc/sr ... dsplyovrvw
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

Yes, I read the list - didn't seem to be food, seemed to be cash. I still stand on say I don't want to support Freedom's Door.
As well then the Foodbank should say we and the others we turn around and give food to are in dire need to donations :)
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

oneh2obabe wrote:2015-2019 submitted financials

https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/hacc/sr ... 1&dsrdPg=1
I think, having reviewed your links, that @ItsBigDaddy made their point with OP. Charities do have admin costs and in this case, the figures show:

"Total expenditure on all compensation in the fiscal period. CAN$ 861,888.00" of which anywhere between $80,000 to $119,999 was paid out to 2 employees, $1 to $39,999 to 8 employees, $40,000 to $79,999 to 8 employees. Get out the calculator for who got how much. It seems charity has become a business.

Governments at all levels have pushed more and more charity needs on to the taxpayers. Add to that, most municipalities, provinces, and feds give tax breaks to charities and donors which helps to encourage taxpayers to donate - over and above the Canadian way of helping our fellow humans.

Upon lock-down, many retailers sent staff into their stores to pack up and donate various food products and seasonal food items. These are items you might find in multi-purpose stores like drug stores, department stores, combo stores. The head offices can either write it off, and toss it out as a loss, or donate it to local food banks as charitable contribution. Food Banks are the Winners. Fortunately, those guardians that could not afford to partake of the commercialized Easter weekend were able to provide chocolate eggs laid by a chocolate rabbit. :)

Just how well managed a food banks finances are depends on the professionalism of management and staff.

I have to agree with others that one bank selling off donations, if in fact it is true, should not be allowed.

Just how bad is our community's need for food banks? Doesn't the city via province have the means to take the temperature of local needs? I would b interested in seeing one. To, it might help to know what all is needed. Knowing, would make it easier for us to pick out the needed things local to what we wish to support.

J.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Jim Dixon »

JayByrd wrote:
Jim Dixon wrote:
You did get it wrong. My point is, it might be harder this year thanks to COVID to expect a normal charitable mood by many, but can expect the taxpayer to be much more charitable via Ottawa. BTW, I and my family have done a great deal of helping others in and around our community. Like my signature at bottom says....

Sorry to seem like I'm adding injury to insult, I'm not, but the taxpayer funds government, government employees pay taxes too, and that in any business is called double-dipping. If you can live without thinking you are a taxpayer - more heavenly delights to you. Don't worry, not a taxpayer - be happy.

Jim - a taxpayer
You do make a good point. As taxpayers, donating money, whether directly or through paying taxes, is not the only way to help others. And I agree, that as taxpayers, many of us are struggling more at this time than at other times. Taxpayers of the past had a little more wiggle room, and were less fearful of what their immediate taxpaying future would hold (whether it be continued reduced income, or increased taxes). I too pay taxes, and have indeed paid taxes since the very first time I was taxed, and I also appreciate you demonstrating the model of how all that works. I'm now have a much better sense of my taxpaying identity. It's worth noting as well that while I'm not a direct Government employee, my employer is entirely funded through Government contracts. I apologize for double dipping, but I do make use of Government services (as a taxpayer) so maybe it's okay.

Yours in taxpaying,

JayByrd (a taxpayer)
I meant it is Ottawa that is double dipping. They tax us, then they tax the government employee. Taxing tax.

Thanks for your feedback. I really do appreciate constructive communication,

J.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context by many and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

I remember a time when food banks were unheard of, now they are staple in society.
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”